What Do You Think About The South?

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:20 am
A fetid swamp of reactionary racism?

The bright future of America?

Please, if you have an opinion, provide us with an explanation/rationalization.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:42 am
they are the new indians, valued at 50% of a real human, and I am not happy about this. who knew that 150 years after losing the war they would still not have regained full american citizenship?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:31 am
For many years, northerners have been moving to the south for jobs and for the lower cost of living. Anyone today who promotes a stereotype of the south being inhabited by moronic and racist good ol' boys is simply displaying their own ignorance and bigotry.
contrex

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:35 am
Isn't a Southern orgy when you have family over? Or is that hillbillies?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:38 am
@Setanta,
I dont think anyone will argue about the South being polluted with Yankee transplants, but they are not "the south".
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:39 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't think you know a goddamned thing about the south.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't think you know a goddamned thing about the south.

sounds like a test is in order...fire away boss.
0 Replies

BigEgo

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The south is full or racist uneducated Republicans.
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:43 am
"Full or" . . . yeah, damn them uneducated Republicans . . .
BigEgo

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

"Full or" . . . yeah, damn them uneducated Republicans . . .

Middle aged cyber bully dog boy! Laughing
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:08 am
@BigEgo,
The south was much better off when it was full of uneducated, racist Democrats, huh, bright boy?
BigEgo

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:18 am
@Setanta,
You always thought you were hot **** even back on abuzz, you're nothing but an over weight middle aged cyber bully blow hard Laughing still hitting the sauce boss? Drunk
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't think you know a goddamned thing

The rest of your sentence is redundant.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 08:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think it's any one thing any more than the north is. There's the rural south, the mountain/appalachian south, the urban south, Texas, FL (neither of which are like anything else in the south, or each other), and any number of other sub-cultures.

Having grown up in the northern Appalachians, I think mountain-folk are pretty much the same, north or south. Living in New Orleans for half the year and near Chicago the other half, I see similar urban problems in both places. I hear that Atlanta is now quite cosmopolitan.

I travel through Mississippi regularly and think it's one of the most beautiful states in the country. I love the stories my friend in Jackson tells about her grandmother who is who is also her aunt and cousin.

I don't agree with much of the politics of the south. They tend to be much further right of my own, which already sit somewhat right of center.

To me, "The South" is the Mighty Mississippi, slow and muddy.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 10:25 am
@BigEgo,
BigEgo wrote:

You always thought you were hot **** even back on abuzz

Aha, another clue to your secret identity. Doesn't help me any, since I discovered a2k in 2010.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:13 pm
I have lived in different regions of the country and after you get settled in it is not so different as you might think.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The U.S. is regional. The northeast still has large swaths of people descended from the Puritans, etc., that had ancestors here before the Manifest Destiny drive to the west. The mid-west has many people that came from Germany and Scandanavia. The south has a large percentage of Anglo-Saxon types originally from Britain. The west too. The northeast, mid-Atlantic has a fair amount of ethnics that came here in the last half of the 19th century, or early 20th century.

The cultures are different by region, in my opinion.

Southerners do not have a monopoly on low intelligence. Easterners do not have a monopoly on high intelligence. This is my opinion from observations.

Southerners are just Republicans, as it is said, because LBJ signed the school integration law. Before that they tended to be Democrats.

It is just such a large country that it is understandable, in my opinion, that there will be a degree of alienation between regions. Back when there was a draft, I believe that experience helped a little to show each region that people from another region might seem a little different, but they were still Americans. I would be so happy if we had a universal draft, even to include women.

BigEgo

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 08:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The south was much better off when it was full of uneducated, racist Democrats, huh, bright boy?

Why should you even give a **** you don't even live in the US, although you like to consider yourself some kind of history expert. You're not, you are nothing but a over weight, middle aged annoying cyber bully hiding your big fat ass behind a computer screen dog boy! Laughing
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:05 am
@Setanta,
Set, as a northerner who's been living in the South for 25 years, I agree with you. I would add the stereotype was never true about all native southerners either. The klan originated in Indiana. Racism in my home state of Ohio was just as rampant as here in South Carolina, maybe not as open.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:07 am
@BigEgo,
The country is full of racist, uneducated people.