Inquiring Minds-A straight individual looking for honest answers

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 02:18 pm
Hi,
I am by no means looking for a fight or wanting to be offensive by anything I say. I am 27 years old and straight. I have had little to no exposure to the gay community, or really even to gay people in general (other than just passing in the street). My question is this....is there any way to bridge the gap enough to get a better understanding of people who are different than myself? How would I be able to understand how a homosexual person feels/thinks about life in general without being offensive or dealing in an area that is somewhat "off limits"?

What I mean is this, when you meet a new person you don't start asking them what it's like to be the way they are. You get to know them, you let them tell you about their past experiences and their interests and plans in life. I wouldn't say that I am against homosexuality (or black people, or Native Americans, or men, or women.....), I simply don't understand them as people, instead of a "category" or group and I'd like that to be different. Honestly, the only thing that makes me "homophobic" or prejudiced toward people in the first place is a lack of "normal" interaction with them. So, I guess what I'm asking is, do any of you have a suggestion on how I might go about understanding ("becoming educated") about a people and a way of life that I really don't understand when I don't have the opportunity to be around individuals.

Honestly, it's not my business to worry about anyone's sexual orientation, however, I realize that a lack of education is what causes trouble and "phobic" behaviour. Any suggestions (preferably respectful, realistic ones) would be appreciated.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 02:29 pm
@acuriousbystander,
Sounds to me like you're doing just fine by your well-thought out statement about how you're questioning and keeping the open minded attitude that you have.

I have nothing more to say other than you have my respect for clear communication and balanced thinking. A pleasure to read your text.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:40 am
@acuriousbystander,
First: someone's sexuality doesn't define What kínd of a person they are; heterosexuals have diferent interests, values and ways of living so do the homosexual.
Second: internet si there for you to use. Search for homosexual testimonies, experiences and forums
Third: ask directly and honestly when given the opportunity but don't push. Being asked about your first sexual experience or sexual life would make you feel uncomfortable, so could for an homosexual. Be respectful
For: What do you Whant to know? I'm here to give you some answers
0 Replies