2013 SUMMER MOVIES

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 07:14 pm
I saw MUD, Lone Ranger and Despicable Me II.

We all liked Despicable, nd MUD, a lot. Lone Ranger, Not so much.
Have movie companies gotten it yet?

raprap

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 07:27 pm
I liked WWZ--but is wasn't a war or a zombie movie.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 07:57 pm
@farmerman,
I saw '2 Guns' (Denzel and Marky-Mark) two weeks ago. OK not great. Rent it on DVD or Bluray.

Going to see Woody Allen's 'Blue Jasmine' in a few days with Cass/Quinn.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 02:12 am
@farmerman,
I liked the Lone Ranger. I thought it was worth it for Johnny Depp's lines alone. My little boy loved it.
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 05:17 am
@izzythepush,
I woulda(hd I known) waited for Lone Ranger to come to DVD before seeing.
Everybody I know who went to WW liked it. I thought, Space movie?.... war of the worlds?.... ZOMBIES? --NAAAAH Also, I tried to stay away from3D-gives me a headache .

AM I the only one who saw MUD?? It was great! IT HAD A STORY AND DIDNT RELY SOLELY ON CGI
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 05:59 am
@farmerman,
I'm at that stage in life where I only go to the cinema to watch kid's films. I've seen Despicable Me 2 and Planes. (Don't bother about Planes)
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
I remember my brief period as movie chaperone. It passes all too quickly. I recall that, during that period I was omnipotent. I knew the answers to everything that the kids could come up with in the way of silly movie questions. Youll file that away as some of the best times of your life.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:12 am
@farmerman,
I'm not omnipotent at all, my son is autistic with an incredible memory, and he's cross with me because I don't remember killing a fly when we were on holiday in Crete about six years ago. He keeps bringing this incident up, and wants to know why I can't remember it. Apparently it was very funny.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:12 am
@farmerman,
These movies are my 2013 Summer at the movie theater ... so far:
1. Much Ado About Nothing (2012)
2. The Grandmaster (2013)
3. Monsters University (2013)
4. Frances Ha (2012)
5. Pacific Rim (2013)
6. Elysium (2013)
7. Man of Steel (2013)
8. Iron Man 3 (2013)
9. Blue Jasmine (2013)
10. The Lone Ranger (2013)
11. Europa Report (2013)
12. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
(In order of most to least favorite)
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:19 am
@tsarstepan,
Could you give your feelings about say,Lone RAnger, Pacific Rim,Grandmaster and any other you feel youd like to expand on.
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:21 am
@farmerman,
PS tsar, I woulda thought youd have seen MUD (unless you didn't consider it a summer movie, I sw it in summer cause they kept it in the theater really long)
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:27 am
@farmerman,
The Grandmaster easily had the best score I've heard this year. The acting was great and it was shot magnificently. The fight scenes were more modern dance scenes then your typical martial arts film. If you're expecting a B-movie martial arts action film then you'll be deeply disappointed and bored to death.

I love the tragic and melancholic feel of Kar Wai Wong's movies which is why he's one of my favorite directors of all time.

I actually enjoyed Pacific Rim a great deal. I found the characters were likable and appreciated the balance between character building story and action scenes. Though I love Japanese anime, I'm not to0 overly smitten with the giant robot subcategory so I don't mind how this isn't an ideal parallel/live action version of that subcategory which it owes a great deal.

As for the Lone Ranger, maybe because I was watching it in a very good mood, I simply enjoyed it as good campy fun.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 06:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

PS tsar, I woulda thought youd have seen MUD (unless you didn't consider it a summer movie, I sw it in summer cause they kept it in the theater really long)

I didn't see Mud because I was burnt by McConaughey's last critical acclaim indie movie that was William Friedkin's Killer Joe (2011): a massive disappointment filled with all hatable and annoying characters (though I should have expected such as one of my most hated movies of all time was Friedkin's Bug (2006)). I guess I felt that Mud was too close to Killer Joe to actually go out and see the film in the movie theater. I expect to see the movie when it comes out to DVD and I get a copy from the NYPL.
boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 07:16 am
Mo and I went to a lot (for us) of movies this summer. By far our favorite was "The Way Way Back".

We also saw:
Mud
Despicable Me 2
Iron Man 3
Pacific Rim
WW Z

And a couple of others that I can't remember off the top of my head. We're hoping to see "The Spectacular Now" before summer is officially over.
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:10 am
@boomerang,
Summer is over today in Lancaster County Pa. The kids are all going back to school and the Amish are cutting tobacco
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:13 am
@tsarstepan,
Ive forgiven Johny Depp for "whackying" his Tonto and just looking like he wasn't so much interested in his role as he was on after school activities.
Im sure Depp's got a few more good movies in him. Everyone fucks up. but MUD was good
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:31 am
@tsarstepan,
The Washington Post, on reviewing "the major mistakes about summer movies" Stated that we must forget about Hollywood just satisfying the US pallet. VIZ "Pacific Rim" really did well in China and in the PAcific Rim.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:48 am
@farmerman,
My daughter saw it in China. She didn't like it at all, but it played well with the Nanking crowd.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 11:59 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

12. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
(In order of most to least favorite)

I forgot to add 13. Kick-Ass 2 (2013) which was a disappointing 7/10. Still somewhat enjoyed. Not as violent as the critics claimed it to be. Definitely not as enjoyable as its predecessor.
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 12:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I liked Kick Ass I.