Which sentence is correctly punctuated?

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:07 am
He was speeding, and as a result, he lost control of his car, which crashed into a tree.

He was speeding and, as a result, he lost control of his car, which crashed into a tree.

Which sentence is correctly punctuated? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,345 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:15 am
I can't say that either one is wrong, although i'd probably write the first sentence. I would omit the last comma.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:07 pm
@tanguatlay,
Regarding the first version, Tang, I can't agree with Set. I'd omit the second comma and maybe the first also

However if you omit the third you introduce a subtle ambiguity: He could have somehow been driving several cars but he lost control of only one, identified by the fact that, unlike the others, at some time previously it has crashed into a tree

I'd agree tho it's a stretch

Second version not collo

0 Replies

RampageGuy

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:26 pm
@tanguatlay,
They are both wrongly worded sentences but the first sentence is worded correctly and also correctly punctuated if you lose the second "he".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:50 pm
@tanguatlay,
Or:
He was speeding, lost control of his car, and crashed into a tree.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 03:20 pm
This all sounds a bit Star Trek.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 04:19 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
He was speeding and, as a result, he lost control of his car, which crashed into a tree.

Though it hardly the norm, the 2nd one could represent someone emphasizing 'and'.

He was speeding annnnd, as a result, he lost control of his car, which crashed into a tree.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 04:41 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Which sentence is correctly punctuated?

Punctuation is not so much a matter of correct as it is a matter of style, Ms Tan.

There are many style manuals put out by many different organizations. Many are house manuals for particular publishing groups and there is a degree of difference among them.

That's one of the reasons you get so many different opinions from so many native speakers. And in this respect they are all quite competent. One of the reasons you can/could get so many different opinions is that each individual could be viewing the intent of the speaker/writer differently.

Quote:

The status of punctuation rules

"But we should also note that many of the rules of punctuation that have been mastered by competent writers are part of tacit linguistic knowledge no less than the rules of spoken language are, and as such are never mentioned in usage manuals or style guides."

The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language - pg 1726
0 Replies