Is traveling to India really that bad for women?

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 08:40 am
There are reports now of a women being treated for PTSD as a result of being groped and harassed during a vacation in India. I am sympathetic, but I am also a bit skeptical at the news hype. It is certainly difficult to understand how a culture could be that hostile toward half of the population.

Does anyone have a real first person account of how bad it is in India. Are there any counter examples of women who went and had a fine time.

Or are things really as bad as being reported in the media?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,840 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 12:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Remember Dagmaraka? She spent a certain amount of time in India and I recall her seeming quite positive about the experience. I don't know if her exposure was different from that of a native.

Spidergal is from India. She did have an episode that had some of us quite worried.

You can probably track down both the stories if you've got the time.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 09:44 am
read this link and you will se that it is not easy to be a woman in India.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20863860
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:17 am
I have always wanted to go to India, but hear it's "filthy" from one of my friends, who is a world traveler.

I guess I got enthused by the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

From the trailer . . . " follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.'
0 Replies

puja167

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 05:31 am
@saab,
Because India is male dominating society, that's why woman facing some problem.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 05:58 am
My 76 yr old mother just spent 6 months in India by herself and plans to go back for at least another 6 in a couple of months. She spent a year there at age 65.

She hasn't been groped, to my knowledge, but maybe it's her age. She loves it there.
saab

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:07 am
@Mame,
What did your mother do 6 months in India? Travelling as a tourist? Working for an organization? Visiting friends?
What happens to women in India mostly happens within the family.
94% of the raped women know the rapist as it is a family member or neighbour.
Women are killed because of dowry payments. Women are killed because of trafficking.
Mame

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 07:28 am
@saab,
She is travelling alone, but meeting with friends here and there. She stays in one city for a month, and does volunteer work there, and learns about the town she's in. She has donated to educational organizations for kids of all ages.

She can only stay for 6 months each time on her visa, she she is now in Spain, travelling and waiting for her new visa to arrive. She started in Pondicherry this time, then visited Bangalore, Chennai, then over to Kolapur and Mumbai, among others.
saab

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:05 am
@Mame,
Very interesting and worth while travelling.
I wish for her she can continue for a long time doing what she is.
arthatravels

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 05:32 am
@saab,
According to me India is not bad for women's traveling. Here you can find many facilities for women.
0 Replies

Adam Vore

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 04:42 am
@maxdancona,
Traveling to India alone for women is not bad as media shows in their report. Yes there are some areas where you should not travel for safety reasons but for key places you can travel freely.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 12:16 pm
@maxdancona,
if your going to india you can take me with you and i'll make sure you dont get ptsd
0 Replies