Gennady Golovkin: 160-lb Russian version of Duran

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:10 pm
This guy is the most astonishing combination of superior footwork, major punching power, and skills which I've ever seen since Duran:

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 5
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 11:06 pm
For anybody interested in practicing listening to Russian, this announcer speaks very clearly.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:12 am
The more I watch this one the more astonishing it seems. Golovkin is like Duran in several ways. He's not difficult to hit with glancing or non-solid punches but he almost never gets hit with anything solid, in other words, his defensive skills don't waste energy and are conservative of motion; same was true of Duran.

The fact that nearly all of his punches SOUND heavy says something about his footwork i.e. that he is almost always in position to throw heavy punches accurately. He's got one of the heaviest jabs I've ever seen in the lighter weight divisions and it generates enough of a reaction that he doesn't even need to actually throw it at times i.e. he's feinting the jab and then hitting opponents with a straight right.
roger

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:19 am
@gungasnake,
Yeah, I noticed the sound of some of those punches. Also that he was usually in the most favorable position.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 05:26 am
@roger,
Picture the amateur boxers who had to face this guy...

Example:

The guy's just doing his amateur dance and stick sort of thing for a round or a round and a half or so and then BAM!, sort of like a train ran over him.....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:43 pm
@roger,
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRsxQ5uSP0Y
0 Replies