Why are we here?

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 07:07 am
@spendius,
Quote:
No storms have ripped my sails to shreds.

I must admit though that I have experienced a squall. I was involved in an event which resulted in 6 soldiers, the eldest 20, being carried down the lower slopes of a mountain and their blackened corpses placed in a mortuary. Of sorts.

Three days later the papers arrived from England and the story was on the inside pages surrounded by ads.

This enabled me to set my compass more accurately, after the sails were repaired, concerning the folks back home and their proven attitude to my expendability.

I became oriented to reality.

Hearing "America doesn't do pinpricks" reminded me that very little changes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:28 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I am not obsessed with being happy and content. It just happens that I am. That seems to bother you. Why is that so?

It does not bother me in the least. What interests me is you keep going on about it.

I am at a loss to imagine why my life is a shipwreck any more than anybody else's is. Will you explain what a shipwrecked life is as you use the term.

I gave up golf off a low handicap because I had an epiphany regarding the older members behaving like Prof. Skinner's pigeons. All of which looked happy and content too.

A sudden epiphany (eureka like), and I have never struck a ******* golf ball since. I took to the game in which there is no need to place a flag in the hole to guide players as to its location. Making money I mean. I see making money as the foreplay to making love.

And I think the young, educated Arabic citizens have decided to surrender to the seductive money making of the west and are being resisted by the old guard for obvious reasons.

The essence of the epiphany was that if those dimwits ever stopped talking and playing golf they would be faced with the stark realities of domestic bliss. They were escaping into a grown up playpen where keeping their heads down was rule no. 1.

I am not a shipwreck. I am an elderly, battered hulk being gently towed into the breaker's yard. No storms have ripped my sails to shreds. And no happy pills have passed my lips.

Have you seen the stats. on happy pills? Abandoned boats moored in a marina.

Yeah, sure. You were a low handicap golfer who gave up the game for the enjoyment of making money.

Your life, Spendius, sounds to be a shipwreck. You even suppose being shipwrecked is the natural state of affairs.

Your pretentiousness is appalling...and I can understand why you have so little regard for people who are reasonably content.

Now...I have no idea of why you are so obsessed with me that you work digs in at me so often, but you really ought to get over it. When you do...I bloody you up...and I really would prefer not to do that. If you were a prize fighter, the newspapers would write that you like to lead with your face. So...I really, really would prefer not to bloody you up.

Why not get a last blast in...and then try to get over your obsession with me. And I will leave you be.
Herald

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 12:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Now you answer mine about what you mean by "efficient.

Did you see the technology ... of wireless power transmission that could cut the clutter and lead to clean sources of electricity.
The devices operating on wireless power supply rely on inductive charging ... 24/7. You have no grid, no step-up and step-down transformers, no power loss on transmission lines ... not even loss at the insulators of the tower.
The sunlight by its nature is electromagnetic radiation ... and could be captured by means of solar concentrator and approrpiate hexagonal-cell adapter into a multimode power lightguide ... and transmitted without any loss.
If the electric grid had been developed after the ideas of Tesla the world today would look like much different.
Efficency of electric power supply describes the extend to which the generated power (and hence the carbon units) and costs of production, disribution & transmision of electric power are utilized for the inteded task or purpose.
If you burn coal (carbon) and produce CO2 (decomposed at 1300 deg C) ... to produce hot water at 70 deg C how much is the efficiency factor?
spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You sound like a wannabee gunslinger having a confrontation with yourself in a mirror.

I gave you the evidence of who came on these threads first. Why have you ignored it and gone back to asserting something that evidence was provided in order to trash the very silly assertion.

Quote:
You were a low handicap golfer who gave up the game for the enjoyment of making money.

Sure I was. My name is still on the Honour's Board in the clubhouse. Twice. I had a Sam Snead set of woods from a presentation by work colleagues: for which a kind lady knit me the covers.

And, if you will try to read sensibly, you will see that I didn't give up golf to chase money at all. I gave it up because as an amateur it was a complete waste of time, energy and money. I was, as Veblen said, working the night shift on behalf of golf equipment suppliers and parasite industries. I know what rabbits on your mark look like when engaged in the daftness.

What's the point of a ball that flies 10 extra yards and clubs that ping them another 10 yards when everybody has got them and the tees have been moved back 20 yards. Your writing handicap must be in the 40s.

Quote:
Your life, Spendius, sounds to be a shipwreck.

It "was" earlier. Now it only sounds it. Will you explain why you think so. Was I holed below the waterline or driven onto the rocks. I have hit a couple of icebergs I will admit. It's ace melting them. The eager beavers are a bit too easy as T.S. Eliot said.

Quote:
Your pretentiousness is appalling...and I can understand why you have so little regard for people who are reasonably content.

Can you sleep in every morning till 10. Take long hot baths. Doze off in the afternoon. Hate DIY like it's a virulent disease. Do nothing for hours on end.
Every day. That's contented. That's how we are evolved. It's the law of conservation of energy.

You may leave me be or otherwise at your own chosen speed. You have confused a debate on A2K with a private conversation. I don't give a flying **** that you think I'm obsessed with you.

Our viewers must be offered a choice in order to prevent us all become Apisa clones. Which would never do.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:29 pm
@Herald,
Quote:
produce CO2 (decomposed at 1300 deg C

Ive failed to note that you have an annoying predeliction to emit your own "facts" that are mostly free of any conscious thought. This being just one example. Ever hear of photosynthesis?
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Your pretentiousness is appalling
Who was it said
"He uses so many words to say so very little"
spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Who was it said
"He uses so many words to say so very little"

Would you be so kind fm as to edit my post for me so that it requires less words and says more.

That copied wisecrack says ******* nothing. So every word of it is wasted and you know what Bob said about wasted words.

I notice you didn't challenge my horticultural metaphor in relation to theologians and gardeners. The leading behavioural scientists would easily see the point. It works for baking cakes as well. And anything else where human intelligence is brought to bear on a raw material. And look at the lives before Catholic theologians brought their nepotism free intelligences to bear on the masses.

Hey--I've been re-reading Hofstadter. The book where he tries to prove that he is an intellectual whilst denying the odious characteristics known to be intimately associated with such rascals. One thing intellectuals are not is nice guys. But Chapter 3 showed me what the misunderstandings are between a European and an American talking about religion. We are talking about different things actually. We might only think we speak the same language.
What you criticise in your religious apologists we smirk at. The Great Awakening eh? Let the wild men loose. Anything that sells is the truth. In social niches.

What's the Burning Man cult all about?
spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:49 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The book where he tries to prove that he is an intellectual whilst denying the odious characteristics known to be intimately associated with such rascals.

I'm a bit dissatisfied with that sentence fm. Could you see your way to teach me how to pare it down and make it mean more? I wouldn't want anybody to think I was woffling.

Maybe "necessarily" is better than "intimately". What do you think? It is a letter longer though.

And we all know how distasteful long lettered words are after reading some of your scientific meanderings.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ever hear of photosynthesis?

I have heard of it. But I can't say I understand it. Does having heard of it count as understanding it.

Perhaps you will help me out and explain it. No circular reasoning thank you very much.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 06:08 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Does having heard of it count as understanding it.
It seems that our host is of that opinion.

Photosynthesis--Foe"-toe'Sin'-tha-sis.(n) 1.nergy goes in here, it reacts with Carbon Dioxide and magnesium, it comes out big and green over there and produces a by- product that helps us breathe.

Herald

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 10:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
It seems that our host is of that opinion.
Photosynthesis--Foe"-toe'Sin'-tha-sis.(n) 1.nergy goes in here, it reacts with Carbon Dioxide and magnesium, it comes out big and green over there and produces a by- product that helps us breathe.

Mr. Mastermind of the Understanding, why don't you explain to us, the simple mortal, how did it happen that the three carbon cicles in nature (maybe you don't know even that they are three) cannot manage with processing the CO2 by Foe"-toe'Sin'-tha-sis and it (CO2) is accumulated in the air ... and in the ocean, ... and the effect of this has reached already our blood and tissues.
Why don't you tell us how much more Foe"-toe'Sin'-tha-sis will we need to fix the content of CO2 in the air at 400 ppm, for example?
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 06:28 am
@Herald,
If God set the process in motion surely He can adjust it if He thinks we are getting ourselves in the ****. Mankind I mean. If He really is off paring his fingernails then it is safe to assume that He is confident it is self-correcting. Starting over with the Kalahari bush tribe would be no skin off His nose. No need to separate Church and State because they have neither and no idea such things exist.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 11:50 am
@Herald,
Quote:
Mr. Mastermind of the Understanding

Actually, I am the master of the bleedin obvious. I want that fast and clearly understood.

Quote:
how did it happen that the three carbon cicles in nature (maybe you don't know even that they are three)
Actually , (again) I don't know what is a "cicle" . I love popcicles. Or do you mean isotopes? There are like 15 isotopes of carbon , not just 3.
Ill look up "cicle" and get back to you
0 Replies

Herald

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 11:56 am
@spendius,
Quote:
If God set the process in motion surely He can adjust it

This is not for sure. It depends what/who you call God.
If God is the intelligence in the universe, or some other ILF, and if It/He considers that we are shame and disgrace to the ILFs in the universe, that we have the technical feasibility to save ourselves and the only obstacles to do this ... are greed and stipudity, why should He help us at all.
If I were Him, I would not lift a finger to help such retards.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 12:03 pm
"ILF?" Jesus wept, not only does he make up words, he makes up abbreviations, and expects people to know what the f*ck he means, even though we are the native speakers, and he clearly is not.

Industry Liaison Forum of the International AIDS Society?
International Lacrosse Federation?
International Lifeboat Federation?
Interactive Literature Foundation?
Institute for Law and Finance?
International Literacy Foundation,?
Institut Lean France?
International Limb Fittings?

This guy is an incredible goof ball.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 01:10 pm
@Herald,
Quote:
If I were Him, I would not lift a finger to help such retards.

That would be an admission that His design was no good. How could that be?

And other ILFs won't care anyway. If they don't do greed and stupidity they won't be all that bright.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:32 pm
@Herald,
Spendi wrote:
If God set the process in motion surely He can adjust it
Herald wrote:
This is not for sure. It depends what/who you call God.
Or perhaps how God defines himself. The Hebrew Tetragrammaton http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/neologist/Tetragrammaton.jpg means "He who causes to become" So what he sets in motion will be certain in fulfillment.
Herald

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:00 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
"He who causes to become" So what he sets in motion will be certain in fulfillment.

This is not the Word of God (the authentic communication (if has ever happened) - no matter whether psychotronic or other - from the external intelligent source (if exists ... and if within range)).
This is the personal interpretation of the so called prophets on the Word of God ... or maybe even interpretation of some other interpretations. So the truth value of this statement is most probably 10 to the power of minus something.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 12:49 pm
@Herald,
Herald wrote:

What is the purpose of life?
Does life have meaning?
What is better: to be a person with purpose or a person without purpose ... in life?
Where are we going, where are our perspectives, where are our dreams ... where are we?
Can one believe both in Money and in God?

Life is climbing a mountain and never reaching the top.
Life is an idling motor waiting for something or someone to put us in gear.
Life is a game of tennis with us as the tennis balls.
Life is a train ride from nowhere, going nowhere, with people getting on and off along the way.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:39 pm
@Herald,
What is the purpose of life? >>

to have enough money to buy what I want

Does life have meaning?>>

Only what it means to me

Where are we going, where are our perspectives, where are our dreams ... where are we? >>

I'm at my computer answering your dumb questions, what about you?.