Health Insurance Professionals... A Real Question...Not A Rant

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 12:13 pm
I turn 65 next May. when and how do I sign up for Medicare and make supplement choices so I can be insured as soon as possible to my birthday?

Also, how about registering Shelley for Obamacare policy so that she can be covered ASAP after first of the year? I realize there is no such thing as an Obamacare policy but you take the point of my question I'm sure

Is it too soon for either of these procedures?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,477 • Replies: 11

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 12:59 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
This is a good step-by-step chart that answers your questions in plain, English rather than governmenteese.

http://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 01:18 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I forget which of the Carolinas you live in.

Here's a place to start on the Obamacare insurance coverage if you live in North Carolina (my brother is moving there at the end of the year). North Carolina has partnered with a few other states to form an exchange.

http://insuranceexchangehq.com/north-carolina-health-exchange-companies-list/

Here's another link for NC.

https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/individual/#state=north-carolina

It is my understanding that South Carolina has opted out of forming a state exchange and SC residents will have the Federal Exchange option. Here's the link:

https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/individual/#state=south-carolina

It looks like, in both cases, October 1st is the earliest you can apply for it.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 04:14 pm
North Carolina has opted out of Obamacare exchanges and the medicaid expansion. I guess we're fucked until we vote these goddam sons of bitches out
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 04:20 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
No, that just makes you eligible for the Federal Exchange insurance policies. Click on the links.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 04:23 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2013/08/ready-to-sign-up-for-obamacare-you-can.html

Quote:
Like many other states, North Carolina will be relying on the federal government to create and operate the exchange, and there are some questions about whether that online infrastructure will be ready for an Oct. 1 launch.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 06:09 am
Speaking of North Carolina, Congressman Patrick McHenry was confronted by some North Carolina folks who in fact support Obamacare. If you listen to news you would think no one likes Obamacare, and the polls would seem to support that, yet when you talk to people they seem to like most of the provisions in Obamacare.

Voters Confront Congressman For Trying To Repeal Obamacare: ‘We’ve Got To Have It’

Quote:
[Skip] Edwards and his wife, both 63, had health insurance until he lost his job during the recession and the East Asheville couple found themselves in financial trouble despite staying relatively healthy.

Both had pre-existing conditions and were denied insurance, making them eligible for a state plan called Inclusive Health.

“It cost us $1,300 bucks a month — extremely expensive,” Edwards said. “It taps us out every month. But at our age and health, we’ve got to have it.”

McHenry, 37, has repeatedly voted against the Affordable Care Act, choosing to either defund, repeal or delay it. In defending his position, he said he did agree with some aspects of the act, including ending discrimination against pre-existing conditions and extending the age a children can stay on their parents’ health insurance. [...]

Edwards and others wondered why McHenry would vote against a plan they feel is better than nothing at all. He said he would not vote for something he feels is bad policy.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 09:32 am
@Butrflynet,
I see that medicare b does NOT cover insulin. My takeaway so far is to investigate private supplementary insurance and forgo part B?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 09:40 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Also I wonder...since my enrollment period for medicare begins Feb. 1 and I'm covered as of May 1, will I be required by law to carry Obamacare from Jan 1 to May 1?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 12:47 pm
I don't know about obamacare, but I think you do need part B at any rate and a part D, a pharmacy supplement (there are several possible purveyors - you can find this in the medicare guide booklet. Well, not booklet, more like a book. It's online too.

Oh, and never trust me on this stuff.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 07:19 am
In NC as it turns out...we're fucked because they won't expand Medicaid. Shelley has no income so for her "Silver Plan" under Obamacare would be about 2000.00 more under Obamacare than when she bought her own from BCBS. If she made 14K a year it would be 280.00 a year. This is how republicans are ******* people over and blaming higher premium costs on Obama, when it's the states refusing the Medicaid expansion that's leaving low income people uninsured.
0 Replies

tcarlson

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 09:36 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Are you receiving Social Security? If so, you will receive info 3 months prior to May. If not, call Social Security and enroll in Medicare.
Terry Carlson
0 Replies