Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 08:25 am
@kejiboy,
None of your business.

Me and the devil have an agreement.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 10:13 am
@kejiboy,
How'd you know that? You been peekin' in my diary?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 11:08 am
Why don't you believe in the existemce of God

Where's the proof?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 10:44 pm
@kejiboy,
Wouldn't you have to define God first, before you could definitely say you don't believe in him?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 04:02 am
@kejiboy,
kejiboy wrote:

Why don't you believe in the existemce of God

It depends on which God you're talking about, some Gods are less probable than others, but the one reason that works for all of them is that there's just no reason to believe in any of them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 05:17 am
@vikorr,
Not necessarily--it is for theists to define "god." If what they offer as a definition is implausible, my response will be: "I don't believe that."
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 11:51 am
I cannot believe in the existence of any god. I am funny that way.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 12:58 pm
@Setanta,
True enough, but my point was rather that 'God' can be defined in many ways, including 'the force that created the universe'...which doesn't actually differ that much with a Big Bang Theory. You could increase the definition by saying 'the force that created the universe in a guided way', and it would still not differ that much.

Theists also differ among themselves on who & what God is, and often go so far as to say he can't be understood (in which case, my question would be - how do they define something they can't understand)

Then you have your agnostics, who believe in God, but not the religious version.

Who's correct, and which one are you going to going to choose when you say "I don't believe" or "I believe"?

Hence why I think you would need to define 'God' first.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 01:03 pm
Well if you take something that can't be a god and define it as a god, then I think you might find a way to believe.
vikorr

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 10:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
25 years or so, when I did attend a Christian church - there were those who thought of God as the force behind the creation of the universe first and foremost (but they were the deeper thinkers that believed).

This part is actually a fundamental tennant of the Christian church (who believe that God created the universe) - it's just that the tennant is extended to give a time frame that is drastically faster than the Big Bang theory, and of a different methodology than the Big Bang Theory.

So it's not impossible to define the force of creation as God, even from a Theists point of view, and definitely not from an Agnostics point of view.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 11:21 pm
@vikorr,
Force, force, and then more force.

I was a fan of Aquinas for a while, but I got over it.

Glad to see you back, vik.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 11:41 pm
@kejiboy,
Many people revere famous athletes or entertainers, elevating them to godlike status. Does this count?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 01:30 am
@vikorr,
Now you're just babbling, and arguing for argument's sake. Agnostics believe in god? You're losing your grip . . .
vikorr

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 01:59 am
@Setanta,
Hah, I learn something new every day.

A quick search reveals there is quite a bit of confusion about the meaning of Agnostic.

Dictionary

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-it-called-when-you-believe-in-god-but-you-do-not-have-a-religion

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1180955

However, whatever term you would like to apply to the group of people who believe in God but not in the religious version, the overall point remains the same - how do you know if you believe in a concept if you don't know what the concept is?

P.S. I have a grip? Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 02:02 am
Yeah . . . you're all over the road--that was my point to begin with.
vikorr

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 02:05 am
@Setanta,
People tend to like roads, despite that fact that road analogies of undefined concepts would lead to terrible comprehension of how nebulous a concept can be
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 02:06 am
@vikorr,
Yup . . . you just like to argue.
vikorr

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 02:13 am
@Setanta,
An interesting take, since in my last two posts :

- I agreed with your assessment regarding Agnosticism, and simply explained why I thought that way (how is agreeing and explaining a mistake argumentative, perhaps you'd like to explain?_

- I also just commented on & explained why I took multiple angles to a concept (perhaps you'd like to explain how me telling a reason for taking multiple angles is argumentative, and what it is argumentative against?)

...but, like always, you're entitled your your opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 02:39 am
The irony here is just killer . . .