Kooskia Internment Camp In Idaho

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
I have heard about the new-found popularity of "heirloom" breeds of animals and types of vegetables, like the black pig (aka black iberian) and several "heirloom" types of common vegetables. I don't know ho common it is for people to raise them, but it could avoid many of the problems which arise from a very narrow monoculture.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:11 pm
@Setanta,
By the way, in Peru, they have literally thousands of different types of potatoes, and they are differentiatied by, among other things, the soil types in which they thrive, and (not surprisingly) the elevations at which they thrive. If commercial potato types collapse, the Peruvians have an answer for that.
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:38 pm
@Setanta,
SInce all potatoes originated in the Andes (and actually came back to the "colonies" via the English farmers who benefited from their export to Europe via the Spanish), Im sure we will, after a period of trial and GM *******, have potatoes back but Im more concernd about an entire states product getting wiped out for a very long time if one of these blights that seem to be affecting solenacious plants more and more, gets a foothold.

Look at whats happening to ornages WORLDWIDE. Oranges, if they don't find a cure, are a crop that is all over the world and certain blights have established themselves in Asia and are wiping out huge masses of this fruit (Mostly cause we rely on a kind of monoculture in groves)
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:45 pm
@farmerman,
Well, i don't know enough to attempt to speak authoritatively. I do believe that it would be possible to recover potatoes, even if a commercial disaster descended upon Idaho or Prince Edward Island.

The vineyards of France and Italy got nearly wiped out at the end of the 19th century. They rebuilt their vineyards with cuttings brought from California. It kind of beggars the snottiness of those who allege that French or Italian wines are superior to California wines, but for me, the point is that for whatever the disaster may be for the individual grower, the crops can come back.

In Ireland the potato blight of the mid-19th century destroyed the potatoes everywhere but in Kerry. Repeated attempts to recover the potato crops by using cuttings from Kerry failed, but someone made one more try, and the potato recovered in Ireland. Kerrymen have become the "Polacks" of Ireland--lots of "dumb" jokes about Kerrymen. Maybe that's why--resentment.
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 07:28 pm
@Setanta,
yeh, may be that my tater concern is overblown. But itd be a major inconvenience for time until new cultivars caould be established and the fungi swept our of the soils.

We are in a worldwide petri dish with strange diseases cropping up all the time.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 09:46 pm
@Setanta,
Need I mention, Set and Farmer, you two are way off topic.
panzade

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 07:01 am
@JTT,
Very Happy I love it when you poke fun at yourself
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 04:46 pm
@panzade,
I'm honest enough to admit it, Pan. These other two cocksuckers aren't.
0 Replies