Kooskia Internment Camp In Idaho

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 06:12 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/27/kooskia-internment-camp_n_3663446.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

-- Deep in the mountains of northern Idaho, miles from the nearest town, lies evidence of a little-known portion of a shameful chapter of American history.

There are no buildings, signs or markers to indicate what happened at the site 70 years ago, but researchers sifting through the dirt have found broken porcelain, old medicine bottles and lost artwork identifying the location of the first internment camp where the U.S. government used people of Japanese ancestry as a workforce during World War II.

Today, a team of researchers from the University of Idaho wants to make sure the Kooskia Internment Camp isn't forgotten to history.

"We want people to know what happened, and make sure we don't repeat the past," said anthropology professor Stacey Camp, who is leading the research.

It's an important mission, said Charlene Mano-Shen of the Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience in Seattle.

Mano-Shen said her grandfather was forced into a camp near Missoula, Mont., during WWII, and some of the nation's responses to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 evoked memories of the Japanese internments. Muslims, she said Thursday, "have been put on FBI lists and detained in the same way my grandfather was."

After the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor plunged the nation into the second world war, about 120,000 people of Japanese heritage who lived on the West Coast were sent to internment camps. Nearly two-thirds were American citizens, and many were children. In many cases, people lost everything they had worked for in the U.S. and were sent to prison camps in remote locations with harsh climates.

Research such as the archaeological work underway at Kooskia (KOO'-ski) is vital to remembering what happened, said Janis Wong, director of communications for the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles.

People need to be able "to physically see and visit the actual camp locations," Wong said.

Giant sites where thousands of people were held – such as Manzanar in California, Heart Mountain in Wyoming and Minidoka in Idaho – are well-known. But Camp said even many local residents knew little about the tiny Kooskia camp, which operated from 1943 to the end of the war and held more than 250 detainees about 30 miles east of its namesake small town, and about 150 miles southeast of Spokane, Wash.

The camp was the first place where the government used detainees as a labor crew, putting them into service doing road work on U.S. Highway 12, through the area's rugged mountains.

"They built that highway," Camp said of the road that links Lewiston, Idaho, and Missoula, Mont.

Men from other camps volunteered to come to Kooskia because they wanted to stay busy and make a little money by working on the highway, Camp said. As a result, the population was all male, and mostly made up of more recent immigrants from Japan who were not U.S. citizens, she said.

Workers could earn about $50 to $60 a month for their labor, said Priscilla Wegars of Moscow, Idaho, who has written books about the Kooskia camp.

Kooskia was one of several camps operated by the Immigration and Naturalization Service that also received people of Japanese ancestry rounded up from Latin American countries, mostly Peru, Camp said. But it was so small and so remote that it never achieved the notoriety of the massive camps that held about 10,000 people each.

"I'm aware of it, but I don't know that much about it," said Frank Kitamoto, president of the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Memorial Committee, based in Puget Sound, Wash., which works to maintain awareness of the camps.

After the war the camp was dismantled and largely forgotten. Using money from a series of grants, Camp in 2010 started the first archaeological work at the site. Some artifacts, such as broken china and buttons, were scattered on top of the ground, she said.

"To find stuff on the surface that has not been looted is rare," she said.

Camp figures her work at the site could last another decade. Her team wants to create an accurate picture of the life of a detainee. She also wants to put signs up to show people where the internment camp was located.

Artifacts found so far include Japanese porcelain trinkets, dental tools and gambling pieces, she said. They have also found works of art created by internees.

"While it was a horrible experience, the people who lived in these camps resisted in interesting ways," she said. "People in the camps figured out creative ways to get through this period of time."

"They tried to make this place home," she said.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 5,466 • Replies: 107

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 07:52 am
This is an important story. Most of us know that these camps were in existence. But I for one merely thought of them as detainment camps, more or less. I did not realize the prisoners performed forced labor too.
Foofie

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

This is an important story. Most of us know that these camps were in existence. But I for one merely thought of them as detainment camps, more or less. I did not realize the prisoners performed forced labor too.

So, based on our Marines dying on Pacific islands at that time, how are we now supposed to feel about this chapter in the nation's history? Should one attempt to empathize with the feelings of most Americans at that time, and see that there was great fear of an enemy agent hiding in an ethnic enclave on the west coast?

You do know that the Japanese were testing biological weaponry in Manchuria in their invasion of China? Perhaps, we were protecting the American Japanese from even greater anti-Japanese sentiment, if there was any enemy sabotage in the U.S.?

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, so again I have no idea as to how I should interpret your post?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 08:06 pm
@Foofie,
Rolling Eyes
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:17 pm
@Foofie,
Were internment camps set up for Americans of Italian and German descent? I never heard of any.

If none were set up for them, why not? Could race have possibly been a factor?
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:22 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Were internment camps set up for Americans of Italian and German descent? I never heard of any.

If none were set up for them, why not? Could race have possibly been a factor?

The German-American community decided after WWI to assimilate completely. Prior to WWI the community had been trying to get bi-lingual education in the public schools. This was given up due to the very strong anti-German propaganda during WWI (i.e., "Fight the Hun").

I don't believe the Italian-American community during WWII were considered a threat, due to their embracing the American culture in the first generation born here.

I don't think race was a factor, to answer your question.

Perhaps, part of the reasoning behind interring the Japanese-Americans was my earlier points about their ethnic enclaves could be a place for enemy saboteurs to hide, and Japanese saboteurs were a concern by America. The fact that the Japanese enclave was perceived as insular, not to mention the popular notion that Asians were of an inscrutable character, did not lessen any general paranoia about the Japanese community, in my opinion.

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:55 pm
@Foofie,
Thank you for being civil in your response to my post, Foofie. It's refreshing. Smile

Although I have very strong convictions about the way people should be treated regarding civil rights, I'm not the best informed about this particular subject. I had always assumed that Americans of Japanese descent were well-assimilated -- a "model minority," as some people would say. Of course, I dare say that Jews have also been a "model minority," yet they have been one of the most persecuted minorities in history. Factors such as the degree of assimilation don't impress racists of whatever stripe.

You make some good points, but I'm still not sure racism wasn't a factor. It's always been a constant in American history. Either way you look at it, the detention of Japanese Americans is a blot on our history.

Aside from all that, I find absolutely nothing offensive in your comments; so, I'm through here. Besides, I don't have the online personality suitable for arguing in this forum.

Thanks again for being civil.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:46 pm
I glanced at foofie's first post. That's enough.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:55 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Thank you for being civil in your response to my post, Foofie. It's refreshing. Smile

Although I have very strong convictions about the way people should be treated regarding civil rights, I'm not the best informed about this particular subject. I had always assumed that Americans of Japanese descent were well-assimilated -- a "model minority," as some people would say. Of course, I dare say that Jews have also been a "model minority," yet they have been one of the most persecuted minorities in history. Factors such as the degree of assimilation don't impress racists of whatever stripe.

You make some good points, but I'm still not sure racism wasn't a factor. It's always been a constant in American history. Either way you look at it, the detention of Japanese Americans is a blot on our history.

Aside from all that, I find absolutely nothing offensive in your comments; so, I'm through here. Besides, I don't have the online personality suitable for arguing in this forum.

Thanks again for being civil.

I have nuanced definitions of some words, like eskimos are supposed to have many words for "snow." So, racism can connote Judeophobia, not just anti-Semitism. Plus, a group being "expendable" may also be a reality, with no overt racism. So, a group being "expendable" could exclude racism, per se; however, the results can be the same.

The cause of a group being"expendable" might have more to do with alienation from that group. They might just "seem" a little too different to have empathy for their problems, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 07:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, edgar. The shameful episode of the 1940s of constructing concentration camps to house Americans of Japanese descent is one I hope we always remember. Japanese-Americans probably did more to help the Allies win WW II than any other similar ethnic group. They were strictly segregated in the armed forces, but let's not forget that the 442d Regimental Combat Team and the 101st Infantry Battalion (both made up entirely of Americans of Japanese descent except for a handful of officers) were the two most decorated ground combat units in the war. And they had to lobby and fight for the right to serve their adopted country because too many Washington insiders felt about them the same way that our foofie still feels today.

The exploits of the 442d and 101st are by now well-known martial history, taught in schools and exploited in Hollywood movies. A lot of people are probably not aware of the fact that a sizable number of Japanese-Americans also served in the Pacific Theater of Operations in Military Intelligence posts as interpreters and advisers to top brass on Japanese cultural concerns. These people were implicitly trusted with the most sensitive military intelligence materials. Betray their country to the Japanese enemy? Sure, foofie. Keep on dreaming.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 08:05 pm
The Japanese people of my personal acquaintance are the salt of the Earth. Far far removed from the regime that fought against us in WW II.
Foofie

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:53 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

These people were implicitly trusted with the most sensitive military intelligence materials. Betray their country to the Japanese enemy? Sure, foofie. Keep on dreaming.

You seem to think I said, or implied, that the Japanese-Americans were not loyal Americans. I never said that, nor implied that. I only said that their ethnic enclave could have been used as a place for a (secret) enemy saboteur to hide.

The fact that I believe there was a rational reason to put these ethnic enclaves in internment camps, for the safety of the U.S. (what with Japan using biological weapons on Manchuria), does not mean I think that the Japanese-Americans were disloyal. I am just saying that the decision then was made, based on the situation and beliefs then. So, similar to not trying to make America feel guilty for turning that ship of Jewish refugees back to Europe before WWII, let's not also ignore the reality of the situation on the west coast during WWII, and not talk about what happened as though Americans today should feel guilty for what occurred. In my opinion, as I've read, the Japanese-American community has little hostility directed towards them today, and the community is getting smaller and smaller through intermarriage.

What would the purpose be, if any, to make Americans feel guilty for something that might just have been the most logical/expedient way to address a perceived danger?
Foofie

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The Japanese people of my personal acquaintance are the salt of the Earth. Far far removed from the regime that fought against us in WW II.

Wouldn't one make a differentiation between Japanese-Americans and Japanese nationals? One might think that without a diffentiation, all Japanese are perceived as being the same. Sort of a generalization, in my opinion.

I think of Japanese-Americans as just Americans. Japanese nationals are like most nationals of any country, quite concerned about their own country, and not so much about foreigners, at least to the same degree.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:21 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
What would the purpose be, if any, to make Americans feel guilty for something that might just have been the most logical/expedient way to address a perceived danger?

It's not a matter of making the current generation of Americans feel guilty about the wrong-headed actions of generations past. I doubt that the ultimate purpose of maintaining Auschwitz as a Holocaust memorial is to assign never-ending guilt to Germans or to Poles of the present generation. The purpose of memorials of this nature is to remind the next generation not to make the same mistakes as the previous one did. We can already see the need for such reminders when we note how Arab-Americans and other Muslims are treated and looked at it in a number of communities today. These folks have committed no acts of terrorism, yet they are viewed with unreasonable suspicion.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:24 am
@wmwcjr,
Civil? Yeah right. I find Foofie's comments quite offensive.

Bigotry is Bigotry whether or not it is "civil" (and I prefer bigotry uncivil). Civility doesn't make up for ignorance.

The "assimilation" slur has been made against every minority group, including Jews, Italians, African-Americans, Hispanics and even Germans. It is complete bullshit.

In the time of these internment camps we had the "Asian exclusion act". These were racist laws specifically written to limit the number of Asians that could be in the United States. Obviously history has shown that the vicious lie that Asians don't assimilate is completely wrong. Once we got rid of the racist laws, they did quite fine in society (as did Jews, Italians and Hispanics).

This was racism pure and simple. The Japanese were targeted because they were easy to single out, and angry Americans needed someone to target.

There is no "civil" justification for this. Blaming the people forced into internment camps for their own persecution is bigotry.

Foofie

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Foofie wrote:

It's not a matter of making the current generation of Americans feel guilty about the wrong-headed actions of generations past. I doubt that the ultimate purpose of maintaining Auschwitz as a Holocaust memorial is to assign never-ending guilt to Germans or to Poles of the present generation. The purpose of memorials of this nature is to remind the next generation not to make the same mistakes as the previous one did. We can already see the need for such reminders when we note how Arab-Americans and other Muslims are treated and looked at it in a number of communities today. These folks have committed no acts of terrorism, yet they are viewed with unreasonable suspicion.

I don't believe the memorials you talk of have anything to do with assigning guilt, or maintaining guilt. I do not feel Germans collectively today feel guilty, nor remorseful about the Holocaust. Collectively it is just said that it was wrong to do.

Also, analogous to the Catholic tradition a "memorial" might serve as a "mea-culpa" that can absolve one from sin, and allow for absolution. The memorials might just be self-serving.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Civil? Yeah right. I find Foofie's comments quite offensive.

Bigotry is Bigotry whether or not it is "civil" (and I prefer bigotry uncivil). Civility doesn't make up for ignorance.

The "assimilation" slur has been made against every minority group, including Jews, Italians, African-Americans, Hispanics and even Germans. It is complete bullshit.

In the time of these internment camps we had the "Asian exclusion act". These were racist laws specifically written to limit the number of Asians that could be in the United States. Obviously history has shown that the vicious lie that Asians don't assimilate is completely wrong. Once we got rid of the racist laws, they did quite fine in society (as did Jews, Italians and Hispanics).

This was racism pure and simple. The Japanese were targeted because they were easy to single out, and angry Americans needed someone to target.

There is no "civil" justification for this. Blaming the people forced into internment camps for their own persecution is bigotry.

Look at your last sentence. Didn't you mean "protection," not "persecution"? Please proofread your posts before putting them into the forum.

Also, for the protection of all Americans, if a saboteur had a vial of the biological agent that was being used in Manchuria.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 09:59 am
@wmwcjr,
Yes. Germans.

Quote:
At the start of World War II, under the authority of the Alien Enemies Act of 1798, the United States government detained and interned over 11,000 German enemy aliens, as well as a small number of German-American citizens, either naturalized or native-born. Their ranks included immigrants to the U.S. as well as visitors stranded in the U.S. by hostilities. In many cases, the families of the internees were allowed to remain together at internment camps in the U.S. In other cases, families were separated. Limited due process was allowed for those arrested and detained.

The population of German citizens in the United States – not to mention American citizens of German birth – was far too large for a general policy of internment comparable to that used in the case of the Japanese in America.[23] Instead, German citizens were detained and evicted from coastal areas on an individual basis. The War Department considered mass expulsions from coastal areas for reasons of military security, but never executed such plans.

A total of 11,507 Germans and German-Americans were interned during the war, accounting for 36% of the total internments under the Justice Department's Enemy Alien Control Program, but far less than the 110,000 Japanese-Americans interned. Such internments began with the detention of 1,260 Germans shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Of the 254 persons evicted from coastal areas, the majority were German.

In addition, over 4,500 ethnic Germans were brought to the U.S. from Latin America and similarly detained. The Federal Bureau of Investigation drafted a list of Germans in fifteen Latin American countries whom it suspected of subversive activities and, following the attack on Pearl Harbor, demanded their eviction to the U.S. for detention. The countries that responded expelled 4,058 people. Some 10% to 15% were Nazi party members, including approximately a dozen who were recruiters for the NSDAP/AO, roughly the overseas arm of the Nazi party. Just eight were people suspected of espionage. Also transferred were some 81 Jewish Germans who had recently fled persecution in Nazi Germany. The bulk of those transferred from Latin America to the U.S. were not objects of suspicion. Many had been residents of Latin America for years, some for decades. In some instances, corrupt Latin American officials took the opportunity to seize their property. Sometimes financial rewards paid by American intelligence led to someone's identification and expulsion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-American_internment

Italians.

Quote:
The term "Italian American" does not have a legal definition. It is generally understood to mean ethnic Italians of American nationality, whether Italian-born immigrants to the United States (naturalized or unnaturalized) or American-born people of Italian descent (natural-born U.S. citizens).

The term "enemy alien" has a legal definition. The relevant federal statutes in Chapter 3 of Title 50 of the United States Code, for example par. 21,[4] which applies only to persons 14 years of age or older who are within the United States and not naturalized. Under this provision, which was first defined and enacted in 1798 (in the Alien Enemies Act, one of the four Alien and Sedition Acts) and amended in 1918 (in the Sedition Act of 1918) to apply to females as well as to males, all "...natives, citizens, denizens or subjects..." of any foreign nation or government with which the United States is at war "...are liable to be apprehended, restrained, secured and removed as alien enemies...."

At the outbreak of World War II, for example, an Italian businessman temporarily living in the United States, Italian diplomats, and Italian international students studying in the United States all became "enemy aliens" the moment Italy declared war on the United States. In some cases, such temporary residents were expelled (such as diplomats) or given a chance to leave the country when war was declared. Some were interned, as were the Italian merchant seamen caught in U.S. ports when their ships were impounded when war broke out in Europe in 1939.

The members of the Italian community in the United States presented an unusual problem. Defined in terms of national origin, it was the largest community in the United States, having been supplied by a steady flow of immigrants from Italy between the 1880s and 1930. By 1940, there were in the United States millions of native-born Italians who were American citizens. There were also a great many Italian "enemy aliens", more than 600,000, according to most sources, who had immigrated during the previous decades and had not become naturalized citizens of the United States.

The laws regarding "enemy aliens" did not make ideological distinctions—treating as legally the same pro-Fascist Italian businessmen living for a short time in the U.S. and trapped there when war broke out, anti-Fascist refugees from Italy who arrived a few years earlier intending to become U.S. citizens but who had not completed the process of naturalization, and those who had emigrated from Italy at the turn of the 20th century and raised entire families of native-born Italian Americans but who were not naturalized themselves. They were all considered enemy aliens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian-American_internment
farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 12:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Japanese Americans interment was purely racist driven for which we will need to do penance. German interment hoqever, had a series of foiled plots that were related to destroying railroads that connected the "Steel belt" from the shipyards. Several plots were foiled and hundreds of German AMericans of FIRT GENERATION were interred because of these plots AND, the Germnas had a very sophisticated espionage network that was hell bent on catching up with making an atomic bomb (They already had a large 6 engine bomber that was nicknamed the "New York Bomber")

I personally feel no regrets on having my ancestors inter the Germans they did any more than I feel any regrets at having dropped the atomic bombs. Remember, they all started the wars nd were already engaging in the ruthless killing of 50 millions or more people ).
No regrets at all.