Copyright notice confusion

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 05:53 pm
I am preparing an ebook for Kindle. I have previously copyrighted (registered and deposited copies as published) it as an ebook in 2006. My question is about any copyright notice as it is supposed to state the year of first publication. Obviously I want to state copyright 2013 but is this nullifying the copyright that was registered in 2006. Or is it better to omit the copyright notice altogether as it is no longer required.

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:43 am
@crossroads46,
You're correct that the copyright notice is no longer required under the Berne Convention. But it's still a good idea to include it, as you can't get statutory damages for infringement if the work doesn't display the notice.

If the work was first published in 2006, then that is the copyright date. If the work was revised in any way for Kindle, then you might want to include both dates, thus:

(c) 2006, 2013

If it's really important to you, I suggest talking to a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property law.
0 Replies