Which to go with?

Greg58

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:30 am
Hello,
I plan on buying a $50 Gold Proof Eagle or a $50 Gold Proof Buffalo coin. The dealers I've spoken to seem to be split on this issue. They seen to be split about the strength of the Gold after being struck multiple times for the proof issue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 7
No top replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 08:19 pm
@Greg58,
What do you want to do with the gold? Why is strength of the gold an issue? The buffalo is 24k and depending on the year of the eagle, it might be mixed with copper and/or silver.
Greg58

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 07:36 am
@trying2learn,
Yes the eagle is mixed with alittle copper and silver, but U.S. gold coins (not all) have been mixed this way to maintain sharpness and durability. I do not plan on handling the coin (either one ), but it being the first U.S. coin minted of 24 kt. gold, I don't see as many great reviews about it. Perhaps it just boils down to choice. It is just that most dealers seem to go with the eagle as the one most sought after, even though the eagle is alittle cheaper in price!
trying2learn

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 02:02 am
@Greg58,
I agree that it is a matter of choice. Personally, I like the eagle that is proof. I don't have a valid reason why, I just do.
Greg58

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:39 am
@trying2learn,
Thanks for the thoughts. As it turns out, I'm speaking with a dealer today who showed me a certified proof $50 eagle in the slab the other day and he said he will throw in a nice wood display case for it---and the price is very good. If all goes well and it hasn't been sold, I'll pick it up this coming Wednesday on payday!

Thanks,
Greg
trying2learn

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 08:41 pm
@Greg58,
I don't know what you mean by "certified proof in a slap".
Greg58

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 11:41 am
@trying2learn,
Sorry, I meant to say slab.

Thanks,
Greg58
trying2learn

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 12:05 pm
@Greg58,
So the coin is graded by a third party such as NGC or PCGS. Did you purchase the coin?
0 Replies