Morality.

Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:27 pm
(My first post on this Forum.)
So, my discussion I would like to raise with you all is: "Is there such thing as good and evil?" My opinion on this is that there is no distinction between the two, just only how we view them from our respective perspectives. Although this might be a bit limiting, please try not to include religion into this. Nothing personal, I just think a logical approach to this would be more productive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 7,807 • Replies: 68
No top replies

neologist

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:38 pm
@Logicus,
You know that $100 I borrowed?
I'm not paying you back
That's good, right?
Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:58 pm
@neologist,
No, as I said, there is no good or bad. What you are implying is that the two terms are interchangeable. They are not. I could take the hundred dollars back forcibly and would that be good or bad? You did refuse to return it, but I did have to inflict pain on you to get it back. Since there is no clear answer on who is right and who is wrong, there is no right or wrong.
neologist

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:15 pm
@Logicus,
I tried to make the situation simple without revealing
the lengths to which I might go to stiff you out of your $100

Assume I am the most nasty gorilla you have ever met.
And you will never see your money again

That's good, right?
Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:23 pm
@neologist,
Again, your using a term which I had stated is not real. It wouldn't be good or bad. It would feel bad to me, and good to you, but it is all subjective. A murderer who killed his cheating wife might think that killing her was a good thing, but most people would think it was bad. And why should the majority of the people be right? They didn't experience what he experienced, so how could they judge him?
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:29 pm
@Logicus,
No.
Good and Evil are merely a subjective pov.
Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:30 pm
@mark noble,
In a way, yes. But what I'm trying to say is that although we may think for ourselves that there is a right and wrong, it's all subjective.
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:32 pm
@Logicus,
Yes.
Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:35 pm
@mark noble,
Then we agree.
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:36 pm
@Logicus,
Absolutely.
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:40 pm
So I have someone who understands. Anyone else care to discuss with us?
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:45 pm
@Logicus,
Lol, for the majority on this site Log, agreeing with me is an act of treason.... So don't hold your breath:)
Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:48 pm
@mark noble,
I don't really care.This is a forum about trying to understand the Truth. if other people don't like that, then they are cast aside. Simple as that. No one will get in the way of my goals to understand the Universe.
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:57 pm
@Logicus,
Then you have answered your 'Power' thread:)
When you can STAND (in the face of adversity) NO longer..........
S T A N D!!!
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:05 pm
@Logicus,
I also agree with you Good and evil are just words to describe different points of view. And an action can be described as either depending on the point of view. An interesting side note is that in Aramaic the language that Jesus spoke the word evil did not exist at the time that he spoke in his teachings. Smile
Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 08:44 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I see. So this will not become a debate after all. Surprisingly, I'm disappointed.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 12:05 pm
@Logicus,
You've simply given two examples of evil..the line is not clearly defined in your brain. Motivation, outcome...it's not just the bottom line
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 12:09 am
@Logicus,
This is kind of what the debate has turned into on another thread. Of course this quote was in the context of a discussion we are having on that thread, but I think you get my point.
No there is no universal, cosmic "good and evil".

Quote:
I agree with you. In the grand scheme of things, there is no such thing as wrong or right. However, I think human beings evolved enough intelligence and decent enough consciences, that most of us could sort of generally agree that things such as genocide and senseless torture are wrong. Then there are those gray areas. Is torture OK if it saves lives? Is abortion morally acceptable? We my be debating those issues until the end of time.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 09:33 am
@Logicus,
Logicus wrote:

No, as I said, there is no good or bad. What you are implying is that the two terms are interchangeable. They are not. I could take the hundred dollars back forcibly and would that be good or bad? You did refuse to return it, but I did have to inflict pain on you to get it back. Since there is no clear answer on who is right and who is wrong, there is no right or wrong.
It's a joke right? ..or are you just trolling us?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:55 am
@Jpsy,
What you are saying is our consciences are not perfect.
A concept noted by Jeremiah in ch. 10 vs. 23.