Shame on Obama for not closing Gitmo

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:57 am
Gitmo Is Killing Me
By Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel
Published: April 14, 2013
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/04/15/opinion/0415OPEDrota/0415OPEDrota-articleInline.jpg

ONE man here weighs just 77 pounds. Another, 98. Last thing I knew, I weighed 132, but that was a month ago.

I’ve been on a hunger strike since Feb. 10 and have lost well over 30 pounds. I will not eat until they restore my dignity.

I’ve been detained at Guantánamo for 11 years and three months. I have never been charged with any crime. I have never received a trial.

I could have been home years ago — no one seriously thinks I am a threat — but still I am here. Years ago the military said I was a “guard” for Osama bin Laden, but this was nonsense, like something out of the American movies I used to watch. They don’t even seem to believe it anymore. But they don’t seem to care how long I sit here, either.

When I was at home in Yemen, in 2000, a childhood friend told me that in Afghanistan I could do better than the $50 a month I earned in a factory, and support my family. I’d never really traveled, and knew nothing about Afghanistan, but I gave it a try.

I was wrong to trust him. There was no work. I wanted to leave, but had no money to fly home. After the American invasion in 2001, I fled to Pakistan like everyone else. The Pakistanis arrested me when I asked to see someone from the Yemeni Embassy. I was then sent to Kandahar, and put on the first plane to Gitmo.

Last month, on March 15, I was sick in the prison hospital and refused to be fed. A team from the E.R.F. (Extreme Reaction Force), a squad of eight military police officers in riot gear, burst in. They tied my hands and feet to the bed. They forcibly inserted an IV into my hand. I spent 26 hours in this state, tied to the bed. During this time I was not permitted to go to the toilet. They inserted a catheter, which was painful, degrading and unnecessary. I was not even permitted to pray.

I will never forget the first time they passed the feeding tube up my nose. I can’t describe how painful it is to be force-fed this way. As it was thrust in, it made me feel like throwing up. I wanted to vomit, but I couldn’t. There was agony in my chest, throat and stomach. I had never experienced such pain before. I would not wish this cruel punishment upon anyone.

I am still being force-fed. Two times a day they tie me to a chair in my cell. My arms, legs and head are strapped down. I never know when they will come. Sometimes they come during the night, as late as 11 p.m., when I’m sleeping.

There are so many of us on hunger strike now that there aren’t enough qualified medical staff members to carry out the force-feedings; nothing is happening at regular intervals. They are feeding people around the clock just to keep up.

During one force-feeding the nurse pushed the tube about 18 inches into my stomach, hurting me more than usual, because she was doing things so hastily. I called the interpreter to ask the doctor if the procedure was being done correctly or not.

It was so painful that I begged them to stop feeding me. The nurse refused to stop feeding me. As they were finishing, some of the “food” spilled on my clothes. I asked them to change my clothes, but the guard refused to allow me to hold on to this last shred of my dignity.

When they come to force me into the chair, if I refuse to be tied up, they call the E.R.F. team. So I have a choice. Either I can exercise my right to protest my detention, and be beaten up, or I can submit to painful force-feeding.

The only reason I am still here is that President Obama refuses to send any detainees back to Yemen. This makes no sense. I am a human being, not a passport, and I deserve to be treated like one.

I do not want to die here, but until President Obama and Yemen’s president do something, that is what I risk every day.

Where is my government? I will submit to any “security measures” they want in order to go home, even though they are totally unnecessary.

I will agree to whatever it takes in order to be free. I am now 35. All I want is to see my family again and to start a family of my own.

The situation is desperate now. All of the detainees here are suffering deeply. At least 40 people here are on a hunger strike. People are fainting with exhaustion every day. I have vomited blood.

And there is no end in sight to our imprisonment. Denying ourselves food and risking death every day is the choice we have made.

I just hope that because of the pain we are suffering, the eyes of the world will once again look to Guantánamo before it is too late.

Amir Naji al Hasan Moqbel, a prisoner at Guantánamo Bay since 2002, told this story, through an Arabic interpreter, to his lawyers at the legal charity Reprieve in an unclassified telephone call.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,010 • Replies: 37

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:33 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Shame on Obama for not closing Gitmo

Hardly a matter of shame. The US has the right to detain POWs until the end of the war.

Quote:
I’ve been detained at Guantánamo for 11 years and three months. I have never been charged with any crime. I have never received a trial.

Being a POW has nothing to do with crimes or trials.

Quote:
I am still being force-fed. Two times a day they tie me to a chair in my cell. My arms, legs and head are strapped down. I never know when they will come. Sometimes they come during the night, as late as 11 p.m., when I’m sleeping.

This is to be expected when people refuse to eat.

It is to be expected even more so when there are waves of lunatics waiting to whine loudly at us if one of the detainees ever succeeds in starving themselves to death.

Quote:
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/04/15/opinion/0415OPEDrota/0415OPEDrota-articleInline.jpg

Hey that was your old avatar image before coming to A2K wasn't it?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:13 pm
@Olivier5,
It's absolutely disgusting.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:22 pm
I dont know if its true for everyone in Gitmo but some are still there because their home countries refuse to take them back. I am sure that some are there because they had political or religious enemies. I wish as does CI that they would release them or try them. 11 years of imprisonment is more than is reasonably called for when they are just suspected of something. Its strange that constitutional rights that many on this site claim for themselves is denied others because they arnt U.S. citizens. Justice should be international. Sad that it isent in most parts of the world. But of course this isent true of my part of the globe. Right posters?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:52 pm
@RABEL222,
America could make a start if nothing else. There's no reason why Shaker Aamer couldn't come home to the UK right away.

http://www.saveshaker.org/about
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:04 pm
@RABEL222,
Nobody wants to be bothered, you see. Who wants to remember Obama's old promises? Who's bothered because a hundred + guys are tortured in a faraway land, even if it's in your name?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Have you noticed how incredibly vague Rabel always is? Smears and innuendo with nothing to back it up.

OK Rabel. What other democratic nation runs anything that is remotely comparable to Guantanamo Bay?

Oliver specifically mentioned Guantanamo Bay, why don't you try being specific for once?
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Nobody wants to be bothered, you see. Who wants to remember Obama's old promises? Who's bothered because a hundred + guys are tortured in a faraway land, even if it's in your name?

Don't be silly Olivier. They are hardly being tortured. They are merely being detained until the end of the war.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:57 pm
@Olivier5,
Another American embarassment.

I can only hope that it is the most fervent of Obama and Bush supporters who don't see what this has done to the world's view of America.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Indeed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Another American embarassment.

I don't perceive any embarrassment.

ehBeth wrote:
I can only hope that it is the most fervent of Obama and Bush supporters who don't see what this has done to the world's view of America.

Hmmm. Mark me down as a mild Obama opposer and a mild Bush supporter.

I don't see the problem with Guantanamo. We do have the right to detain captured enemy fighters until the end of the war do we not?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:14 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Don't be silly Olivier. They are hardly being tortured. They are merely being detained until the end of the war.

Is the "end" near?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Some of us don't post on this all the time but agree with you. I spent much of a lifetime talking with neighborhood, town, and city and state people on my views, usually in person.

Your slam is easy, that some of us don't post displeasure on every f'n thread over many years.

Act on your views yourself and shut up about others' actions that you do not know about..
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:26 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Olivier5 wrote:

Is the "end" near?

I doubt it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:37 pm
Be in no doubt, torture happened in Guantanamo. The document itself is quite bulky.

Quote:
FBI Observations at Guantánamo, Fall 2002
1. An FBI agent witnessed a female interrogator “apparently
whispering in the detainee’s ear, and caressing and
applying lotion to his arms (this was during Ramadan
when physical contact with a woman would have been
particularly offensive to a Moslim [sic] male. On more
than one occasion the detainee appeared to be grimacing
in pain.” The view of the agent was obscured by a curtain
fixed by duct tape at the request of the interrogator,
over a two-way observation mirror. The agent watched
the encounter through the surveillance camera and was
given to understand by a marine that the female interrogator
had grabbed the detainee’s genitals and bent
back his thumbs. The marine then “implied that her
treatment of that detainee was less harsh than her treatment
of others by indicating that he had seen her treatment
of other detainees result in detainees curling into a
fetal position on the floor and crying in pain. . .”

2. “In September or October of 2002 FBI agents
observed that a canine was used in an aggressive manner
to intimidate detainee [redacted] and, in November
2002, FBI agents observed Detainee [redacted] after he
had been subjected to intense isolation for over three
months. During that time period, [redacted] was totally
isolated (with the exception of occasional interrogations)
“The female interrogator
had grabbed the
detainee’s genitals and
bent back his thumbs.
The marine then ‘implied
that her treatment of that
detainee was less harsh
than her treatment of
others by indicating that
he had seen her
treatment of other
detainees result in
detainees curling into a
fetal position on the floor
and crying in pain. . .’”
in a cell that was always flooded with light. By late
November, the detainee was evidencing behavior consistent
with extreme psychological trauma (talking to nonexistent
people, reporting hearing voices, crouching in a
corner of the cell covered with a sheet for hours on
end).”
Letter from T. J. Harrington, Deputy Assistant
Director, FBI Counterterrorism Division to
Major General Donald J. Ryder, Department
of the Army, Criminal Investigation
Command, July 14, 2004.106

http://ccrjustice.org/files/Report_ReportOnTorture.pdf
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Some of us don't post on this all the time but agree with you.

But y'all can go on and on and on about other perceived injustices, Osso.

Quote:
I spent much of a lifetime talking with neighborhood, town, and city and state people on my views, usually in person.

What was that like, talking to a stone wall?

Quote:
Your slam is easy, that some of us don't post displeasure on every f'n thread over many years. Act on your views yourself and shut up about others' actions that you do not know about..

You're a good little American, Osso.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:16 pm
@JTT,
You don't know me at all, you pile of dashes.

**** your own thumb.
mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't know you?

You mad?
3 posts of yours gives anyone who is not dead a complete profile of your personality, you lonely, arrogant cyberspace reject.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:32 pm
@mark noble,
says the lonely mean cyberspace wanna be leader of something. anything...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
You don't know me at all, you pile of dashes.
**** your own thumb.

Sheesh! And it was only a couple days ago that I voiced support for your post calling for more civility.

Why don't you go make fun of an innocent person serving a long prison term? That sort of thing always makes you happier.
0 Replies