Well, "Its emergency room had 84,946 visits" seems obviously annually

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:30 pm
But should we add "annually" there to make it unambiguous?

Its emergency room had 84,946 visits annually

Context:

Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD is ranked nationally in 15 adult and 10 pediatric specialties. It was also high-performing in 1 adult specialty, as shown below. Johns Hopkins Hospital is a 912-bed general medical and surgical facility with 46,573 admissions in the most recent year reported. It performed 23,382 annual inpatient and 35,024 outpatient surgeries. Its emergency room had 84,946 visits. Johns Hopkins Hospital is a teaching hospital. It is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

U.S. News included the following facilities in evaluating Johns Hopkins Hospital:

Johns Hopkins Children's Center in pediatrics.

Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital in ophthalmology.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:02 pm
Judging from the rest of the sentence, it's not "annually" but rather "in the most recent year reported". The figure is likely to fluctuate from year to year, might be going up, might be going down, might show no clear trend, but it's unlikely to be the same this year or next year, whereas "annually" would mean pretty much the same from year to year. If you were to use "annually", you'd probably take an average of the last x number of years, maybe 5, and you'd probably include a phrase aomething like "the emergency room averages around 85,000 visits every year".
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:00 am
@MontereyJack,
The figure is likely to fluctuate from year to year, might be going up, might be going down, might show no clear trend,

you'd probably take

==========

See Jack use modals he mistakenly believes are past tense in situations where there's no past tense.

Next, see Jack run.
contrex

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:06 am
Click back up the link hierarchy on that page (near the top)

Quote:

Best Hospitals 2013-14

For 2013-14, U.S. News has identified the best hospitals in 16 specialties.

Best Hospitals 2013-14: Overview and Honor Roll

contrex

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:33 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Click back up the link hierarchy on that page (near the top)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/Hopkins_zpse8ff02ee.jpg
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:42 am
You really are a buffoon, JTT, and apparently incapable of retaining what you read. As I have said several times, that modal forms which are generally accepted, except by your coterie, as functioning as past tense also have other functions does not mean that they do not convey the sense of past tense when used to describe past situations. Run, JTT, run.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:43 am
I'm not sure what you're getting at, contrex.
contrex

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:57 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at, contrex.

1. I Googled the phrase OristarA quoted, "Its emergency room had 84,946 visits", and found the page it came from. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/md/johns-hopkins-hospital-6320180

2. I noticed at the top of that page the hierarchical links shown in my picture. This indicated that the page is a child page.

3. I clicked on the previous link in the hierarchy, that is, the next page up, "Hospitals", and found this, which I quoted:
Quote:
Best Hospitals 2013-14

For 2013-14, U.S. News has identified the best hospitals in 16 specialties.

Best Hospitals 2013-14: Overview and Honor Roll

4. Thus is shown the period during which the 84,946 visits took place, and the question is whether the word "annually" should be appended is answered negatively. In any case the figure is too exact to be an average or estimate after which "annually" would be appropriate.

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
As I have said several times, that modal forms which are generally accepted, except by your coterie, as functioning as past tense also have other functions does not mean that they do not convey the sense of past tense when used to describe past situations.

I know you've said many dumb things many times, Jack. That doesn't make you right. It only makes you look foolish when you avoid the pertinent issues and simply rely on foot stamping and mindless repetition.

See Jack run.
contrex

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:26 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
mindless repetition.

Something you are good at. Care to answer whether the Burma Railway was an admirable undertaking?
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:42 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Care to answer whether the Burma Railway was an admirable undertaking?

Is this then the real Contrex, droning on and on in a vain attempt to divert attention away from his gross dishonesty, his perfidy, his thievery?

A simple apology would suffice for even those who possessed a tiny measure of honesty.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 12:44 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I Googled the phrase OristarA quoted

Now see, it's not that difficult to provide a link, Contrex, unless one is intent upon stealing others ideas and language in order to make one appear a "teacher".
contrex

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 01:52 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Now see, it's not that difficult to provide a link, Contrex, unless one is intent upon stealing others ideas and language in order to make one appear a "teacher".

What are you going to do about it? Pull my fingernails out? You are mentally ill.

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 03:35 pm
Contrex has your number, JTT. You're the master of mindless repetition. I provide numerous examples of my points, and yoku only come back repeatedly with some variation on "modals don't have tenses", though it's just been shown that they do. You ignore what authoritative people familiar with actual usage say. And in this case you set up a strawman argument and attributed it to me. Don't try to put words in my mouth, because you always get them wrong. But that's because I'se a gooder speakster of the English than youse is. See JTT waddle.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:41 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
What are you going to do about it?

Point out your dishonesty, your theft of another man's ideas and words.

Why don't you just apologize?

You can go on probation for a few months and then you'll be good to go.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
Blah blah blah blah blah, Jack.

You fled, AGAIN, from the questions that were asked of you.

Quote:
I provide numerous examples of my points, and yoku[sic] only come back repeatedly with some variation on "modals don't have tenses", though it's just been shown that they do. You ignore what authoritative people familiar with actual usage say.

Now that's mindless repetition.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 04:01 am
@JTT,

Quote:
See Jack use modals he mistakenly believes are past tense in situations where there's no past tense.

Next, see Jack run.

See JTT butting in where he's not wanted, making points he's dreamed up himself which are nothing to do with the point at issue.
contrex

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:36 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
See JTT butting in where he's not wanted

Just like at Pearl Harbor, Nanking, Burma, etc. He needs a Kohima or an Imphal.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:56 am
@McTag,
Quote:
making points he's dreamed up himself

You have a lot of gall, McTag. You can't defend your own nutty prescriptions, because you've stolen them from others, and you pull this. If you want to address something in particular as regards language then address it, instead of being a little coward.

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:59 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Just like at Pearl Harbor, Nanking, Burma, etc.

This is as dishonest as your plagiarism, your theft of another man's ideas and words, Contrex. And here you are, a thief, still trying to divert attention away from you gross dishonesty with more gross dishonesty.

And McTag seems intent on helping you divert attention away from you gross dishonesty with his gross dishonesty.
0 Replies