Montreal/Quebec City: 24 hrs. to decide!

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 10:25 pm
@Sturgis,
"Would you care for another blanket for the bed?" No thank you, we're fine. "Perfect!"

"Is there anything special you're looking for, Monsieur?" No, I'm just waiting for my wife. "Perfect!"

I have no idea whether any of them meant it or not, but I found it delightful to imagine that everyone was concerned about making me happy. I'm going to try using this with my students and see what responses I get.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 10:28 pm
I have a few photos on my iPhone, but I'm not sure how to get them off the phone! <blush>
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 06:31 am
@Eva,
that's why you had a child - he can tell you how to get at those pix

~~~~

More stories about meals and walking!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 06:51 am
Happy Anniversary Eva and Mr Eva - so glad you're having such a great time Smile I haven't been to Quebec City since 1987 but I remember how much I enjoyed it. It's a very pretty city and I found the people wonderful and the food great. You have to go to the restaurant in one of the oldest buildings - I forget the name, but surely your concierge can tell you. I think it's 400 years old and quite charming.

Here's a list from Google - I wish I could remember the name.

Building Built City
Maison Puiseaux 1637 Quebec City
Maison des Jésuites-de-Sillery 1637 Sillery, Quebec City
Maison de madame de La Peltrie 1644 Quebec City
Basilique-cathédrale de Notre-Dame-de-Québec 1647 Quebec City
Maison du Duc-de-Kent 1648 Quebec City
Maison Delisle 1648 Deschambault-Grondines
Maison Bouchard 1660 L'Isle-aux-Coudres
Manoir de Niverville 1668 Trois-Rivières
Maison LeBer-LeMoyne 1669 Montreal (Lachine)
Maison Marcoux 1670 Quebec City
Chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Anges 1671 Notre-Dame-des-Anges
Moulin à vent de Grondines 1674 Deschambault-Grondines
Maison-Laberge 1674 L'Ange-Gardien
Séminaire de Québec 1675 Quebec City
Maison François-Jacquet-dit-Langevin 1675 Quebec City
La Poudrière 1676 Desbiens
Manoir de Charleville 1677 Boischatel
Sacristie de l'Hôpital-Général-de-Québec 1679 Notre-Dame-des-Anges
Maison Amiot 1679 Quebec City
Maison L'Âtre 1680 Saint-Famille
Bâtiment des Récollets de l'Hôpital-Général-de-Québec 1680 Notre-Dame-des-Anges
Maison Rageot 1682 Quebec City
Maison Maheu-Couillard 1683 Quebec City
Maison Louis-Jolliet 1683 Quebec City
Maison Louis-Fornel 1683 Quebec City
Maison Frérot 1683 Quebec City
Maison Chavigny-Gosselin 1683 Quebec City
Vieux-Séminaire de Saint-Sulpice 1684 Montreal
Tours du fort des Messieurs de Saint-Sulpice 1684 Montreal
Maison Hazeur 1684 Quebec City
Maison Delage 1684 Quebec City
Maison Saint-Gabriel 1698 Montreal
Eva

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 12:16 am
@Mame,
I think you're remembering Aux Anciens Canadien, in a 1675 house. Very well known. It's even written up in the book, "1,000 Places to See Before You Die." We ate there twice...once for lunch, once for dinner. They specialize in game -- elk, bear, bison, caribou, duck, etc. -- which Hubby enjoyed greatly. Not me. I had my first taste of poutine, and a crock of the best onion soup I 've ever eaten. And their maple syrup pie with fresh whipped cream for dessert. It reminded me of Southern pecan pie without the pecans.

The waitress was anxious to hear what I thought of poutine. I laughed and said, "Who wouldn't like French fries with gravy and cheese?!" (Truthfully, it was ok, but not nearly as good as the soup and the pie.)

It's past 1 a.m. here, and I've got to get some sleep. It's in-service week, so I'm very busy getting ready for school to start on Monday. I'll check in again as soon as I can.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 09:20 pm
Did I mention that the restaurants in Quebec City are extremely expensive? They are. It's like eating in Paris. (Just as good, too.) We found $50-75 USD for lunch for two to be about average, and dinner was always over $100. One night the tip pushed the total over $200. We typically ordered three courses (entree', main course, dessert), and I had one glass of wine while Hubby drank his usual club soda with lime. No bottles of wine. No cheese courses. Etc. We ordered medium-priced selections from the menus.

Part of the reason the restaurants were so expensive was the taxes. Not only was there a 5% regular sales tax, but there was an additional 10% entertainment tax. (I can't remember the exact name of the tax, but something similar to that.) That's about double the amount of tax I'm used to spending at home.

As one would expect in a French environment, meals were always leisurely. It's best to plan on 2 or 2.5 hours for a meal out. They are not in a hurry, and they don't believe it's healthy for you to be, either. It took us, oh, about one day to adjust. <grin>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 05:43 pm
this was such a great thread to re-read

(came here as I was looking for an old post about scarves - turned out not to be here but the diversion was fantastic)
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:31 pm
@ehBeth,
saving it, though I might have been there.

Just today Diane and I went shopping and I wore one of my Siena scarves, this one re the Porcupine costrada - it hadn't shown on the back of my neck scarf before, in my life now, re scarf wrinkles. A giant porcupine. Diane saw it today and gasped.

I've no idea re all the costrada and don't know what is going on. Interested.

0 Replies