Hitchens destroys God

Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:14 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tw3i3k4zCs

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:31 am
That's like delivering a knockout punch to to Santa Claus.
Chumly

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:53 am
@edgarblythe,
He is succinct and devastating!
fresco

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:40 pm
@Chumly,
In case you havn't seen Eddie Izzard....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5KvGS_wT_4
CapnKrunk

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 05:19 pm
@Chumly,
who cares. go outside and do something.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
@Chumly,
That's a grave accusation that Christopher would dismiss as impossible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 10:24 pm
@Chumly,
Good to see you back, Chumly. Gun show in Lynden last weekend of the month. Let us learn ya how to start fires. You'll get to meet Joe Sixpack, Pyrozilla, Pyrofessor Zandar and others.
Shameless link; http://able2know.org/topic/211887-1

You know I don't watch vidiocy; so why not tell us in your own words what this is all about?

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 04:19 am
Hitchens didn't "destroy god," he thoroughly discredited the prevailing Abrahamic religions. He was asking (rhetorically, in his mind) how many in the audience were willing to accept such a regime.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 11:37 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Let us learn ya how to start fires.

A bic lighter works pretty good.

Quote:
You know I don't watch vidiocy; so why not tell us in your own words what this is all about?

Luckily the rest of the world is not stuck in this mindset, some people are using videos to reinvent education.

By the way great videos Fresco and Chumly

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 12:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
A bic lighter works pretty good.
I would prefer a Bic. But did you know, if it's cold enough, your Bick won't flick? When might that be, you may ask? Likely not in Florida, but when your car is stuck in a snow bank on your way to a ski trip and you are freezing your socks off. I know this is OT, but it's my way of getting Chumly to the coffee klatch we promised each other back in the day.
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 12:34 am
@Chumly,
Abcedarians should rise as one hell-bent towards heaven in decrying the non-existence of adeism.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:51 am
@neologist,
Quote:
I would prefer a Bic. But did you know, if it's cold enough, your Bick won't flick?

I hope that the bic in your pocket never gets that cold because if it does you will not be needing it because you will be dead
neologist

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 02:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I wrote:
I would prefer a Bic. But did you know, if it's cold enough, your Bic won't flick?
I hope that the bic in your pocket never gets that cold because if it does you will not be needing it because you will be dead
I haven't carried a Bic for over 40 years, but have several at the ready. My advice to someone in a cold wilderness situation (very cold) is to take your Bic and place it in your inside shirt pocket, or some other warm place while you gather tinder and kindling. That will save you the trouble of possibly having to warm it up at the last minute. Of course, a firesteel will send a shower of 3000 degree Celsius sparks into your tinder; and it's ready instantly. Best to carry both, I believe.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Hitchens didn't "destroy god," he thoroughly discredited the prevailing Abrahamic religions. He was asking (rhetorically, in his mind) how many in the audience were willing to accept such a regime.
Well yes, some license was taken.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:40 am
@reasoning logic,
I've been teaching full time for five years now, and I do assign Internet-based videos as homework. Perhaps I should do more of it, in particular by having more assessment tools based on the videos!

I'm shortly going to install a permanent, ceiling-mounted, smart-phone controlled, video camera to record me in front of the class all day every day, and my intent is to build/edit a large library.
Chumly

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:46 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

In case you havn't seen Eddie Izzard....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5KvGS_wT_4
I had not seen it until you referred it, great fun and much thanks!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 10:55 am
@neologist,
Nice to hear from you, videos can be a fine way to further your education however it would greatly help in your understanding of the sciences if you got over your adherence to superstition.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 11:37 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
I've been teaching full time for five years now, and I do assign Internet-based videos as homework. Perhaps I should do more of it, in particular by having more assessment tools based on the videos!

I'm shortly going to install a permanent, ceiling-mounted, smart-phone controlled, video camera to record me in front of the class all day every day, and my intent is to build/edit a large library.

It sounds as if you have an interest in advancing methods of teaching. Am I wrong about many of our text books coming out of Texas?

There is a a young man in Texas that made a comment about shooting up a school, if you were to read his comment and seen how he is being treated for it you might ask yourself if Texas should be writing our Text books.

Chumly

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm Canadian, so Texas has less of an effect on pedagogy here, although it's influence can still be felt, as can the effects of domestic religious conservatism.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
@Chumly,
You mean no longer invoking Pyrometheos in my fire demos?
OK. You should come to see if I am telling the truth.