What is your experience of being a Catholic?

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:33 pm
As the title reads "What is your experience of being a Catholic?

I can only guess that there are many different experiences. What I would like to hear are the good and bad experiences of being Catholic.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:39 pm
@reasoning logic,
Look up some of my posts. I've no interest in repeating them.

e.g., the rosary crusade person was a family friend.
contrex

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:46 pm
The priest that taught me how to milk a cow while blindfolded.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

I understand how it is to repeat ones self, Thankfully we have copy and paste.

Do you have any favorites that you would not mind pasting? Idea
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
No, I've been here at least ten years.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

@ossobuco,
Quote:

I understand how it is to repeat ones self, Thankfully we have copy and paste.

Do you have any favorites that you would not mind pasting? Idea

Quote:
No, I've been here at least ten years.

I understand that ten years is a long time.

I was listening to what an ex-nun had to say and it had me feeling sad for her and others. I think that her endeavor was more than ten years.

Do you or anyone else know if she is telling the truth? If she is I do doubt that this is the case for all nuns but I wanted to hear all of your points of views.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
I have known many nuns, and have no idea of the one you are talking about. Nuns vary.

You tube doesn't work for me.

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I have known many nuns, and have no idea of the one you are talking about. Nuns vary.

You tube doesn't work for me.

I will find her name and share it. Like I said I do not think that all are treated this way, I hope not and I doubt that they are.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:10 pm
@ossobuco,
This is your curiosity, not mine.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
This is your curiosity, not mine.

Why would you have no interest in what a nun has to say?

Her name is Charlotte Keckler born April 12 1889 and died September 1983 Her SS# is 261-58-5764 She lived in Boston Massachusetts and Napa California last.

She spent 22 years behind their walls.

She seemed to have a very strong interest in letting others know her life story.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
fifty years, honey.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
You seem to be a tool. I don't mean that meanly, just observation.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
fifty years, honey.

Maybe you are correct but I thought I heard her say 20+ years.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You seem to be a tool. I don't mean that meanly, just observation.

I try to be useful but I do realize that I fail at times.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 05:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm correct about myself.

I don't give a **** about your nun story.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm correct about myself.

Let me guess when you said fifty years you were talking about yourself even though you did not say so?

Quote:
I don't give a **** about your nun story.

Do you think that you are sharing an empathic response to what the non had to say or a sociopathic response?
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 07:23 pm
Well, I guess I'll talk about my experience, probably over the course of a few posts here and there.

I'm listening to the nun you tube tape as I type, about 15 minutes into it.

She's quite a talker, isn't she? Sounds manic. I don't know that it makes sense, or is fair to ask people what their catholic experience was/in, and in any part basing it on this nun's story. Most people come no where near devoting their lives in that way.

I dunno, I guess my experience wasn't much different from a lot of other catholics, but quite different from others.

From babyhood to 1st grade, I was taken to church weekly. Because my 2 older brothers went to catholic grade school and high school, there wasn't any other thought in my mind that I would do the same. Funny, the oldest child, another girl, went to public school. She was only a couple of years older than my oldest brother, but it never occured to me to wonder why she didn't go to catholic school.

ok, I gotta turn that woman off in the other window....she's starting to drive me nuts.

whew, that's better. I think she's got a lot of other problems besides being an ex nun.

Anyway.
I don't remember ever feeling joyous over the religion I was raised in. Looking back it was all going through the motions. I don't mean me alone, I mean the whole thing of church on sunday, going to confession (through school, we'd go together as a group) going to school, the nuns, the occassional priest.

I always thought confession was weird. I could never think of anything to say. I mean, what was I going to say "I fought with my brothers about 8000 times, I um....er.....I talked back to my mother about 2000 times, etc."

wtf was a kid, or even a high schooler doing that needed to be confessed? What a crock. Never felt redeemed, never felt I needed to be redeemed from whatever I said in there.
On the other hand, I never felt good either, like a good person.

Looking back, I guess I looked at it like the deck was stacked against me, and everyone for that matter.
I mean, the least little thing was a sin, had to be confessed, pondered over, **** like that.
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

I never questioned why these men and women dressed in such a bizarre way. Looking at a priest, expecially a bishop, cardinal, pope now makes me shake my head. Talk about pagan.

Looking back, I'd say as a conservative estimate I've attended over a thousand Masses in my life. In not one of them did I ever experience any sort of positive, close to God experience. It just seemed like a waste of an hour. Not just that hour, but all the time getting ready, getting there and getting home.

Me? I'm a much better person to myself and others for having enjoyed a couple of extra hours sleep on a Sunday thank you.

All this isn't even touching the surface of my feelings toward the catholic church as I realize it is now, and always has been.

Those years of living as a catholic never made me a better person, and I know it made me a worse person at times, during that same span of years.

Anyway, I'll be back later.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 07:35 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
She's quite a talker, isn't she? Sounds manic. I don't know that it makes sense, or is fair to ask people what their catholic experience was/in, and in any part basing it on this nun's story. Most people come no where near devoting their lives in that way.

I dunno, I guess my experience wasn't much different from a lot of other catholics, but quite different from others.

From babyhood to 1st grade, I was taken to church weekly. Because my 2 older brothers went to catholic grade school and high school, there wasn't any other thought in my mind that I would do the same. Funny, the oldest child, another girl, went to public school. She was only a couple of years older than my oldest brother, but it never occured to me to wonder why she didn't go to catholic school.

ok, I gotta turn that woman off in the other window....she's starting to drive me nuts.

I do not think she will drive you nuts but I think I get your drift.

My favorite aunt was catholic and she was the best behaved in my opinion, certainly she did not share that experience.
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 07:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
No, you know know me well rl.....I don't deal with noise, including voices like hers nattering, well at all. I like and seek out quiet.

Anyway, the fact your favorite aunt was "well behaved", was that necessarily because she was of a particular religion, or because it was her nature? Who knows.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 04:38 am
So RL, so recently enamored of Judaism is now rushing off to embrace Catholicism. He's like a kid in a candy store . . . I want that . . . no, no, wait . . . i want that . . . and that over there, too ! ! !