Are Leaders Born or Made?

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:00 pm
Are leaders born or made? Nature or Nuture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,336 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:03 pm
Born
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:03 pm
Ummm.. Both? I'm feeling non-commital this evening. Very Happy

(But in general I don't thinik anything that can't be directly quantified, i.e. "Leader" or "Leadership". is an either/or proposition.)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
I think the best ones are made. Tried and tested over time .Naturally born leaders might really be bullies
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:45 pm
I don't know of any leaders who weren't born.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:53 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
I think the best ones are made. Tried and tested over time .Naturally born leaders might really be bullies

I like this answer
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:35 pm

....Thanks for the laugh ebrown_P!!!!! lol!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:43 pm
truth
Are followers born or made?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:48 am
Nature and nurture. Half of intelligence/ability and most personality traits seem to be innate. But first-born children are more likely to become leaders and peer group dynamics can put anyone into a role where s/he will develop leadership abilities.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:31 am
Most leaders find themselves placed by 'conscription! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:10 pm
Made. There is no innate thing that is tailored to helping one get along in society, since society is always changing, only the ability to learn to, which we all have.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
Re: Are Leaders Born or Made?
Definitely both. It takes a certain kind of personality which you are born with, and a certain sense of ethics and leadership skills which are taught.

There's a reason why the British royal family can't rule anymore!
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:57 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

I Love this response.. nice

If you look at the attributes that make the greatest leaders 'nature' has seemed to not be all that consistent.

napoleon - although it could be attributed to 'nature' that he was so energetic and a work a holic, however other than that his appearance was very 'docile' so I'd say somthing in his life could have happen which showed him that when one rests one could lose advantage.

colin powell - pretty stern looking and sounding in his younger days, however, he really had a knack for learning and adapting from mistakes - i'd attribute that more to nurture as in his environment of his early years as an LT, taught him how to learn and adapt.

washington - he saw that there were 'needs' that his army must do such as fighting on christmas showed his knowledge - nurture and yet he was tall and always was up front with his troops and took bullets in his hat as ive read. things like that are very inspiring to trooops.

Attributes of a 'good' leader can vary because just how a person looks and what his or her voice sounds like can effect the affect the leader has on the subordinates, however, one must be knowledgeable to effectively lead.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:00 pm
visavis wrote:
colin powell - pretty stern looking and sounding in his younger days, however, he really had a knack for learning and adapting from mistakes - i'd attribute that more to nurture as in his environment of his early years as an LT, taught him how to learn and adapt.

Colin Powel a great leader? You're kidding right? Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
Made. Of course people who are born complete morons don't count, but leaders are made.
0 Replies

Sibisis

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:40 pm
made. People are who they are raised. We are made into who we are from the experiences we have as we grow.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:22 am
This should really be a poll.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:24 am
In Costa Rica I met this German ladyand we got talking and I asked what her philosophy in life was and she said... In order to survive In this world you should be flexible enough to bend over & kiss your own asshole .
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:43 pm
roverroad wrote:
visavis wrote:

Colin Powel a great leader? You're kidding right? Laughing

in my opinion... none of those people i mentioned nor anyone in the military nor anyone in power period who does not make a considerable difference towards peace by useing PEACE and not useing war to make peace are good leaders but I am looking at what is defined as a good leader. Someone who can influence to get the job done and all those i listed are in that definition.
0 Replies

crashlanded vr2

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
Leadership requires certain personality traits. These may be inherent in someone (by birth) or acquired during ones lifetime (made).
0 Replies