Snowdon is a dummy

revelette2

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There is a difference (and I believe you know it) between surveillance and Bulk data collecting which has done little to catch terrorist.

RABEL222

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 02:56 pm
@revelette2,
Why would the CIA or the FBI let out secret information that would tip off the terriosts as to how they came by it. They dont have to impress anyone with info about terriosts. Both organizations will get their billions anyway. And keeping their mouths shut leaves the bomb throwers in the dark. Rather than letting the emotion people get you all excited over nothing, think. If this saves just one life I would let them listen to any conversation I have anytime.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
.it will be mentioned in only the most general terms.

Nonsense the government have a long long history of shouting from the roof top anything that made them look good.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:27 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

There is a difference (and I believe you know it) between surveillance and Bulk data collecting which has done little to catch terrorist.

OR so you think, Revelette.

I do not know whether it has been valuable or not...and there are intelligence people who say it is...and I would rather take their word for it that yours.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:28 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
.it will be mentioned in only the most general terms.

Nonsense the government have a long long history of shouting from the roof top anything that made them look good.

Baloney.
djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:34 pm
The Sheriff’s Secret Police is issuing an urgent message to all citizens:

ATTENTION ALL CITIZENS:

Memorize this list. Memorize it now. It will not now, nor ever, be repeated. Memorize this list for your safety and protection. We cannot tell you when or where you will need to know it but when you do, you will be safe. Here is the list.

Memorize. Now.

Hazelnut
Mystify
Cuttlefish
Lark
Lurk
Robert
Anglican
Pheromone
Halter top
Marmalade
Hardware
Laser
Pepper
Release
Kneecap
Falafel
Period
Chase
Chaste
Leggings
Wool
Sweater
Heartbeat
Heartbeat
Heart

Beat

Heart

Beat

Beat

Beat

Beat

Beat

Memorize that list, citizens, in order.

Secret Police warn that if you miss even one word, or transpose a couple of worlds like “lurk” and “lark,” there could be unpleasant consequences.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:35 pm
The Sheriff’s Secret Police also asks Night Vale residents to please help in their neighborhood watch program. Secret Police are in every neighborhood, watching everybody, so here are some tips on how you can help this invaluable community surveillance program.

Keep all windows open during clement weather, and if you must close them during rain, dust, or coal storms, please keep them clean, and stand near them, so cameras and microphones can clearly identify you.

When having any private conversation, whether via phone or with those in your home, turn down the TV and radio to cut back on noise pollution. Also, please try to keep your conversations lively. Maybe some local gossip, or polarizing sports opinions. Too much boring talk about plans for your garden or where to buy good laser discs can make the Secret Police tired and less effective at their jobs.

Do not wear tinfoil hats. This hackneyed technique doesn’t work at all. Helicopters could mind-scan you through twenty feet of lead. You shouldn’t wear these homemade hats because it draws unnecessary attention to yourself. It’s pathetic and paranoid. The Secret Police are embarrassed for you.

And as always, if you see something, say “something.” That’s the code word to call a special raid on a neighbor or stranger.

If you see something, say the word “something."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:39 pm
These boots were made for walking. These other boots were made for surveillance. Please speak clearly into the second pair of boots.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 05:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
And if the surveillance has been effective in doing that...it will be mentioned in only the most general terms.

So you don't think 'data trawl' is general enough. We've had a lot of successful prosecutions for terrorist planning in the UK. All of which have been a result of targeted surveillance, and they've been a lot more specific about their sources than the phrase 'data trawl.'

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Baloney.

Sure it is baloney as otherwise you would have second by second accounts of the tracing and the killing of Bin Laden for example.

Oh **** we do have a second by second account of the tracing and the killing of Laden and some poor doctor who aid us is now is prison in Pakistan due that very complete report.

Other then releasing the "gopro" helmets footage it is as complete as could be.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:32 pm
Edward Snowden is not a dummy.

He deserves a fair trial...and I hope he gets it.
revelette2

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
NSA Admits It Collects Too MUCH Info to Stop Terror Attacks

Quote:
Top security experts agree that mass surveillance is ineffective … and actually makes us MORE vulnerable to terrorism.

For example, the former head of the NSA’s global intelligence gathering operations – Bill Binney – says that the mass surveillance INTERFERES with the government’s ability to catch bad guys, and that the government failed to stop 9/11, the Boston Bombing, the Texas shootings and other terror attacks is because it was overwhelmed with data from mass surveillance on Americans.

Binney told Washington’s Blog:

A good deal of the failure is, in my opinion, due to bulk data. So, I am calling all these attacks a result of “Data bulk failure.” Too much data and too many people for the 10-20 thousand analysts to follow. Simple as that. Especially when they make word match pulls (like Google) and get dumps of data selected from close to 4 billion people.

This is the same problem NSA had before 9/11. They had data that could have prevented 9/11 but did not know they had it in their data bases. This back then when the bulk collection was not going on. Now the problem is orders of magnitude greater. Result, it’s harder to succeed.

Expect more of the same from our deluded government that thinks more data improves possibilities of success. All this bulk data collection and storage does give law enforcement a great capability to retroactively analyze anyone they want. But, of course,that data cannot be used in court since it was not acquired with a warrant.

Binney and other high-level NSA whistleblowers noted last year:

On December 26, for example, The Wall Street Journal published a lengthy front-page article, quoting NSA’s former Senior Technical Director William Binney (undersigned) and former chief of NSA’s SIGINT Automation Research Center Edward Loomis (undersigned) warning that NSA is drowning in useless data lacking adequate privacy provisions, to the point where it cannot conduct effective terrorist-related surveillance and analysis.

A recently disclosed internal NSA briefing document corroborates the drowning, with the embarrassing admission, in bureaucratize, that NSA collection has been “outpacing” NSA’s ability to ingest, process, and store data – let alone analyze the take.

Indeed, the pro-spying NSA chief and NSA technicians admitted that the NSA was drowning in too much data 3 months before 9/11:

In an interview, Air Force Lt. Gen. Michael Hayden, the NSA’s director … suggested that access isn’t the problem. Rather, he said, the sheer volume and variety of today’s communications means “there’s simply too much out there, and it’s too hard to understand.”

“What we got was a blast of digital bits, like a fire hydrant spraying you in the face,” says one former NSA technician with knowledge of the project. “It was the classic needle-in-the-haystack pursuit, except here the haystack starts out huge and grows by the second,” the former technician says. NSA’s computers simply weren’t equipped to sort through so much data flying at them so fast.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:14 am
@revelette2,
There are pro's and con's to bulk collection...and there are huge difference of opinions about the efficacy of bulk collection.

I do not know whether it is effective or not...and the opinions of some people that it is not...and of others that it is...

...doesn't persuade me either way.

I am willing to leave the decisions up to the intelligence experts...and to the courts who rule on whether it can be done or not.

Here are two stories, one from the LA Times and one from the NY Times...giving some insights...but resolving nothing.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-big-data-privacy-20140502-story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/us/politics/report-finds-no-alternative-to-bulk-collection-of-phone-data.html

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
BUT...as we all know...whether the collections are effective or not...has nothing to do with whether or not Edward Snowden stole secret government documents and released them to unauthorized people.

He is charged with that...not with anything that has to do with the efficacy of the gathering.

If he wants to return to the United States, rather than living in a country free from such intrusions into personal data, like Russia, I want him to get a fair trial on those charges.
revelette2

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
I read that article yesterday of your last link, I also read down on a paragraph the following of the same article:

Quote:
She added that the report did not contradict findings of groups that have concluded that “the domestic bulk call record program has not helped stop an act of terrorism.” But she noted that the report “does importantly acknowledge that there are additional steps that the intelligence community can take to increase transparency, improve oversight, and limit the use of information collected.”

Perhaps, Frank, this is why they decided to do away with Bulk collecting. From what I can understand, it will take time, but Sunday was the beginning of the end of it.
revelette2

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
BUT...as we all know...whether the collections are effective or not...has nothing to do with whether or not Edward Snowden stole secret government documents and released them to unauthorized people.

He is charged with that...not with anything that has to do with the efficacy of the gathering.

If he wants to return to the United States, rather than living in a country free from such intrusions into personal data, like Russia, I want him to get a fair trial on those charges.

I agree completely.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am willing to leave the decisions up to the intelligence experts...and to the courts who rule on whether it can be done or not.

I am not so willing to do so with special note of when actions are taken is secret from the American people and to a degree even from congress.

Perhaps you would care to live in a secret police state with secret courts added to the mixed but that is not how I care to live.

Oh by the way our courts had ruled that a black man can never be a citizen of the US or that Japanese Americans can be placed in camps, or that agents of slave owners can go into free states and recapture run away slaves and on and on we go.

I am glad that whatever the courts rules is ok with you but to me I thank god for the people who ran the underground railroad or Snowden who let us know what is going on in secret.

I am sure Frank you would be all for a conductor on the underground railroad to return from Canada in order to face a "fair trial".
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 03:06 pm
@BillRM,
I'm not charged with anything, Bill.

Edward Snowden has three serious charges pending against him. But he is tucked away safe in a much less intrusive society over in Russia.

If he ever does come back there, though, I will demand that he be given a fair trial.

He deserves it.
BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 03:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
'm not charged with anything, Bill.

An who the hell said you had been charged with a crime? Where the hell did that come from?

Next Snowden to me is in the same moral position as a conductor in the underground railroad being charge with helping runaway slaves and by doing so breaking a valid law of the time.

Once more he does not deserve a fair or an unfair trial or any other type of trial for that matter instead he deserve the thanks of the american people and to a lessor degree the western world for a head up of what the US government and it partners in "crime" was up to behind secret stamps.

Massive spying on the population is great to help set up a police state with the power to blackmail leaders at NSA command but not so good for finding and targeting terrorists.

Poor Hoover with his few file cabinets that he used to keep his office by blackmailing congress members and presidents would had love to have a large building with thousands of harddrives full of such materials on everyone in the first world.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I'm not charged with anything, Bill.

Edward Snowden has three serious charges pending against him. But he is tucked away safe in a much less intrusive society over in Russia.

If he ever does come back there, though, I will demand that he be given a fair trial.

He deserves it.

some of us are hoping the charges go away.

Quote:
The European Union's legislature has called for member states to protect US surveillance whistle-blower Edward Snowden from possible extradition.

The European Parliament voted in a narrow 285-281 vote at a plenary session in Strasbourg, France, a non-binding resolution that calls for all criminal charges against Snowden to be dropped.

The legislature described Snowden in a statement as an "international human rights defender".

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/eu-parliament-votes-snowden-charges-dropped-151029181309515.html