Snowdon is a dummy

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:36 am
@BillRM,
Stating that the stand your ground is the only thing keeping a lot of black men out of jail indicates you think black men are inherently criminal. You're saying they routinely indulge in activity that is illegal in most civilised parts of the World. You also use the term race baiter, a term only bigots use because racism and discrimination are fine and dandy, mentioning it is wrong, and race baiting. You called your own president a racist, and all this on a thread where you celebrated the murder of an unarmed 14 year old black kid.

You also deliberately missed out the fact that the stand your ground law means you're more likely to be exonerated for killing a black man than a white.

Quote:
A Tampa Bay Times analysis of nearly 200 cases — the first to examine the role of race in "stand your ground" — found that people who killed a black person walked free 73 percent of the time, while those who killed a white person went free 59 percent of the time.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/race-plays-complex-role-in-floridas-stand-your-ground-law/1233152

That all looks pretty damn racist to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 05:23 am
Before leak, NSA mulled ending phone program
Quote:
The National Security Agency considered abandoning its secret program to collect and store American calling records in the months before leaker Edward Snowden revealed the practice, current and former intelligence officials say, because some officials believed the costs outweighed the meager counterterrorism benefits.

After the leak and the collective surprise around the world, NSA leaders strongly defended the phone records program to Congress and the public, but without disclosing the internal debate.

But it did work Wink
Quote:
[...]
Soon after Snowden’s revelations, Alexander said that the N.S.A.’s surveillance programs have stopped “fifty-four different terrorist-related activities.” Most of these were “terrorist plots.” Thirteen involved the United States. Credit for foiling these plots, he continued, was partly due to the metadata program, intended to “find the terrorist that walks among us.”

President Obama also quantified the benefits of the metadata program. That June, in a press conference with Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, Obama said, “We know of at least fifty threats that have been averted because of this information.” He continued, “Lives have been saved.”
[...]
He [Senator Patrick Leahy, of Vermont] cited a statement by Alexander’s deputy that “there’s only really one example of a case where, but for the use of Section 215 bulk phone-records collection, terrorist activity was stopped.” “He’s right,” Alexander said.
The case was that of Basaaly Moalin, a Somali-born U.S. citizen living in San Diego. In July, 2013, Sean Joyce, the F.B.I.’s deputy director at the time, said in Senate-committee testimony that Moalin’s phone number had been in contact with an “Al Qaeda East Africa member” in Somalia. The N.S.A., Joyce said, was able to make this connection and notify the F.B.I. thanks to Section 215. That February, Moalin was found guilty of sending eighty-five hundred dollars to the Shabaab, an extremist Somali militia with ties to Al Qaeda. “Moalin and three other individuals have been convicted,” Joyce continued. “I go back to what we need to remember, what happened in 9/11.” At the same hearing, Senator Dianne Feinstein, of California, talked about “how little information we had” before 9/11. “I support this program,” she said, referring to Section 215. “They will come after us, and I think we need to prevent an attack wherever we can.”

In the thirteen years that have passed since 9/11, the N.S.A. has used Section 215 of the Patriot Act to take in records from hundreds of billions of domestic phone calls. Congress was explicit about why it passed the Patriot Act—despite concerns about potential effects on civil liberties, it believed that the law was necessary to prevent another attack on the scale of 9/11. The government has not shown any instance besides Moalin’s in which the law’s metadata provision has directly led to a conviction in a terrorism case. Is it worth it?
... ... ...
The Whole Haystack
BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not only that but there was plenty red flags before 911 that was overlook at the time.

They need to do a far better job of analyze information not the building of mountains of information that will overwhelmed any possible human/computer searches for patterns.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 09:46 am
Men Dressed as Women Shot Outside NSA Gate, Tried to Ram Past Checkpoint, Officials Say
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 02:27 am
Quote:
This week the remains of the laptop used by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, pointlessly but symbolically destroyed by Guardian editors under the eyes of GCHQ, have been put on display at the V&A, a museum of art and design.

It forms part of the All of this Belongs to You exhibition, open until 19 July. Through a series of interventions and installations, it aims to examine “the role of public institutions in contemporary life” and to ask “what it means to be responsible for a national collection”. It raises questions about democracy, as we run up to the election, and about institutional and curatorial practice.

V&A curator, Kieran Long, said that they gained the confidence to show the remains when it was recalled that the museum had broken objects in its own collection, which had been preserved because of the stories they told rather than the artefact’s intrinsic beauty or interest. Thus it now forms part of a display on technology, secrecy and privacy. [...]

http://i60.tinypic.com/2vw8dn8.jpg
Source: Destroyed Snowden laptop: the curatorial view
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 06:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Too bad that. It might have been used in a fair trial to help clear his name!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 07:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Leaving aside the impossibility of a fair trial, they were forced to destroy it by MI5. And, as Walter has pointed out, it was pointless. All the information is still there, held overseas, which could still be used in a show trial.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 07:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Too bad that. It might have been used in a fair trial to help clear his name!
Besides that what izzy wrote: is there a trial scheduled against The Guardian?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 08:37 am
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:51 am
I just read that. Kinda surprising.

Quote:
John Oliver sat down with National Security Agency contractor turned whistleblower Edward Snowden on HBO’s “Last Week Tonight” for a wide-ranging interview that was funny and, at times, surprisingly tense.

Oliver, who flew to Moscow to conduct the interview, grilled Snowden on the leaked documents.

“How many of those documents have you actually read?” Oliver asked Snowden.

“I have evaluated all of the documents that are in the archive,” the 31-year-old former CIA systems administrator said. “I do understand what I turned over.”

“There’s a difference between understanding what’s in the documents and reading what’s in the documents,” Oliver countered. “Because when you’re handing over thousands of NSA documents, the last thing you’d want to do is read them.”

The comedian and former “Daily Show” correspondent pointed out that Snowden’s actions led to the disclosure of sensitive information beyond the NSA’s controversial government surveillance program, including the revelation that the United States was monitoring al-Qaida in northern Iraq.

“The New York Times took a slide, didn’t redact it properly, and in the end it was possible for people to see that something was being used in Mosul on al-Qaida,” Oliver said.

“That is a problem,” Snowden conceded.

“Well, that’s a f---up,” Oliver declared.

“It is a f---up, and those things do happen in reporting,” Snowen said. “In journalism, we have to accept that some mistakes will be made. This is a fundamental concept of liberty.”

“Right. But you have to own that then,” Oliver said. “You’re giving documents with information you know could be harmful, which could get out there.”

Snowden appeared to pause before offering a response: “Yes.”

The interview had plenty of lighter moments, too.

Oliver asked Snowden — who has been living in asylum in Russia for more than 18 months — if he misses America, specifically Hot Pockets and “the entire state of Florida.”

“Yes, I miss Hot Pockets very much,” Snowden replied. (Florida? Not so much.)

Later, Oliver asked Snowden if the spy agency was collecting racy photos of Americans’ private parts.

“The good news is there’s no program named ‘The D--- Pic Program,’” Snowden said. “The bad news is they’re still collecting everybody’s information — including your d--- pics.”

source
wandeljw

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:18 pm
@revelette2,
From revelette2's quote:
Quote:
The comedian and former “Daily Show” correspondent pointed out that Snowden’s actions led to the disclosure of sensitive information beyond the NSA’s controversial government surveillance program, including the revelation that the United States was monitoring al-Qaida in northern Iraq.

“The New York Times took a slide, didn’t redact it properly, and in the end it was possible for people to see that something was being used in Mosul on al-Qaida,” Oliver said.

“That is a problem,” Snowden conceded.

“Well, that’s a f---up,” Oliver declared.

“It is a f---up, and those things do happen in reporting,” Snowen said. “In journalism, we have to accept that some mistakes will be made. This is a fundamental concept of liberty.”

“Right. But you have to own that then,” Oliver said. “You’re giving documents with information you know could be harmful, which could get out there.”

Snowden appeared to pause before offering a response: “Yes.”

It is to Oliver's credit that he made it clear that there are harmful consequences when a huge mass of secret data is released. I may be wrong, but it seems that Daniel Ellsberg was much more selective in what he released.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:30 pm
@revelette2,
What's so surprising?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:50 pm
It should be obvious what is surprising, but it was the nature of John Oliver's interview which was surprising. I would have thought it mostly would have been comedy stuff with some soft ball favorable questions thrown in.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:03 pm
@revelette2,
I never heard of this guy. Is that surprising?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:31 pm
Busted: Edward Snowden statue prompts cover-up at Brooklyn park

http://i57.tinypic.com/2vunawy.jpg
Bust of Edward Snowden in Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn (via youtube, link in report above)
McTag

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Interesting, audacious. A nice idea.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 06:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
BillRM wrote:
routine and intention on top of that are amazing claims indeed

I'm just pointing out the truth. We routinely execute innocent people, and even do it intentionally.

BillRM wrote:
and once more have nothing at all to do with executing mass murderers where there is no question on this earth that they are guilty of the crimes.

Unfortunately we don't confine our executions to the clearly guilty.
(Even if we did, I would expect that a certain number of innocent people would still slip through.)

By Spencer S. Hsu
The Washington Post
April 18, 2015

The Justice Department and FBI have formally acknowledged that nearly every examiner in an elite FBI forensic unit gave flawed testimony in almost all trials in which they offered evidence against criminal defendants over more than a two-decade period before 2000.

Of 28 examiners with the FBI Laboratory’s microscopic hair comparison unit, 26 overstated forensic matches in ways that favored prosecutors in more than 95 percent of the 268 trials reviewed so far, according to the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and the Innocence Project, which are assisting the government with the country’s largest post-conviction review of questioned forensic evidence.

The cases include those of 32 defendants sentenced to death. Of those, 14 have been executed or died in prison, the groups said under an agreement with the government to release results after the review of the first 200 convictions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/fbi-overstated-forensic-hair-matches-in-nearly-all-criminal-trials-for-decades/2015/04/18/39c8d8c6-e515-11e4-b510-962fcfabc310_story.html
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 01:43 pm
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell introduced a bill Tuesday night to extend through 2020 a controversial surveillance authority under the Patriot Act.

The move comes as a bipartisan group of lawmakers in both chambers is preparing legislation to scale back the government’s spying powers under Section 215 of the Patriot Act.

It puts McConnell (R-Ky.) and Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.), the bill’s co-sponsor, squarely on the side of advocates of the National Security Agency’s continued ability to collect millions of Americans’ phone records each day in the hunt for clues of terrorist activity.

The move provoked a swift response from Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (Vt.), the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, who has been working with other panel members on legislation to end the government’s mass collection of phone and other records for national security purposes.

“Despite overwhelming consensus that the bulk collection of Americans’ phone records under Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act must end, Senate Republican leaders are proposing to extend that authority without change,” he said in a statement Tuesday night. “This tone deaf attempt to pave the way for five and a half more years of unchecked surveillance will not succeed. I will oppose any reauthorization of Section 215 that does not contain meaningful reforms.”
revelette2

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 07:35 am
@InfraBlue,
I had another post but I deleted it. Lets just say I hope Leahy prevails but I have my doubts. Be good in this case to be proven wrong in my doubts. In any case, perhaps NSA will change some of it on its own to be more efficient as more tools become available.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:13 am
http://news.utoronto.ca/edward-snowden-archive-university-toronto-project-gives-you-access-all-leaked-nsa-documents

Quote:
How much do you know about the American surveillance documents leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden – and how many of those National Security Agency documents have you read?

Now you can see everything – a complete, indexed, searchable and fully accessible archive of all NSA documents released by the exiled Snowden and published by media – at the University of Toronto.

“I initiated the Snowden Digital Surveillance Archive to help people understand better the mass state surveillance we are all exposed to,” said Professor Andrew Clement. “The many documents that Snowden released to journalists offer us an invaluable resource for learning about how government agencies, such as the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) and Canada's Communication Security Establishment (CSE), are spying electronically on our daily activities.”

live link to the archive