Snowdon is a dummy

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Almost none are used as cheap slave labor. For the most part, they are warehoused. You are correct that we do not stress rehabilitation. Another mark against us.

Quote:
Prisoners earning 23 cents an hour in U.S. federal prisons are manufacturing high-tech electronic components for Patriot Advanced Capability 3 missiles, launchers for TOW (Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided) anti-tank missiles, and other guided missile systems. A March article by journalist and financial researcher Justin Rohrlich of World in Review is worth a closer look at the full implications of this ominous development. (minyanville.com)

The expanding use of prison industries, which pay slave wages, as a way to increase profits for giant military corporations, is a frontal attack on the rights of all workers.

Prison labor — with no union protection, overtime pay, vacation days, pensions, benefits, health and safety protection, or Social Security withholding — also makes complex components for McDonnell Douglas/Boeing’s F-15 fighter aircraft, the General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin F-16, and Bell/Textron’s Cobra helicopter. Prison labor produces night-vision goggles, body armor, camouflage uniforms, radio and communication devices, and lighting systems and components for 30-mm to 300-mm battleship anti-aircraft guns, along with land mine sweepers and electro-optical equipment for the BAE Systems Bradley Fighting Vehicle’s laser rangefinder. Prisoners recycle toxic electronic equipment and overhaul military vehicles.

Labor in federal prisons is contracted out by UNICOR, previously known as Federal Prison Industries, a quasi-public, for-profit corporation run by the Bureau of Prisons. In 14 prison factories, more than 3,000 prisoners manufacture electronic equipment for land, sea and airborne communication. UNICOR is now the U.S. government’s 39th largest contractor, with 110 factories at 79 federal penitentiaries.

The majority of UNICOR’s products and services are on contract to orders from the Department of Defense. Giant multinational corporations purchase parts assembled at some of the lowest labor rates in the world, then resell the finished weapons components at the highest rates of profit. For example, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon Corporation subcontract components, then assemble and sell advanced weapons systems to the Pentagon.

Increased profits, unhealthy workplaces

However, the Pentagon is not the only buyer. U.S. corporations are the world’s largest arms dealers, while weapons and aircraft are the largest U.S. export. The U.S. State Department, Department of Defense and diplomats pressure NATO members and dependent countries around the world into multibillion-dollar weapons purchases that generate further corporate profits, often leaving many countries mired in enormous debt.

But the fact that the capitalist state has found yet another way to drastically undercut union workers’ wages and ensure still higher profits to military corporations — whose weapons wreak such havoc around the world — is an ominous development.

According to CNN Money, the U.S. highly skilled and well-paid “aerospace workforce has shrunk by 40 percent in the past 20 years. Like many other industries, the defense sector has been quietly outsourcing production (and jobs) to cheaper labor markets overseas.” (Feb. 24) It seems that with prison labor, these jobs are also being outsourced domestically.

Meanwhile, dividends and options to a handful of top stockholders and CEO compensation packages at top military corporations exceed the total payment of wages to the more than 23,000 imprisoned workers who produce UNICOR parts.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pentagon-and-slave-labor-in-u-s-prisons/25376
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
For now, I will stand correct...and say I was wrong.

I know several prison guards...and I've had discussions with them on this topic. I am almost certain they told me that work was an option...and option actually denied to problem prisoners.

But until I get a chance to check...I stand corrected. Thank you for that.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
I doubt most of the really bad prisons are in your neck of the woods Frank. Angola prison is so bad we've heard of it over here.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/04/angola-three-albert-woodfox-lawsuit-louisiana-prison

Btw, I appreciate your candour.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
And I think there's a world of difference between someone like you who thinks the death sentence is more humane than life imprisonment and BillRM for whom it satisfies a blood lust.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Here in Germany, life in prisons is regulated by the Act Concerning the Execution of Prison Sentences and Measures of Rehabilitation and Prevention Involving Deprivation of Liberty.
The Fith Title with quite some sections about various work-related topics deals education, work, pocket money, salary etc (translation )>here<

I don't think that prisoners are paid properly - nor are the handicapped persons in their workplaces.
When I worked in one of the largest prisons, especially problem prisoners had to work, mainly in the "cable yard" (cable processing).

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 09:17 am
Back to the non-prison situation of Snwden
Quote:
Edward Snowden has made a public appeal for Switzerland to grant him asylum, saying he would like to return to live in Geneva, where he once worked undercover for the Central Intelligence Agency.
[...]
Snowden said he had appealed to 21 countries, "the majority in central and Western Europe", for asylum after the United States canceled his passport and he was stopped from going to Ecuador.

"Unfortunately no country said yes," he said, blaming "political interference" by the Obama administration.
[...]
Snowden, 31, reiterated that he would not return to the United States unless offered a "fair trial".

"I am working very hard with my lawyers to try to get reliable guarantees of a fair trial. Unfortunately the Department of Justice is unwilling to agree in that regard.

"The only thing they have said at this point is that they would not execute me, which is not the same as a fair trial."
[...]
Under current Swiss laws, an applicant has to be on Swiss territory to lodge an asylum request.

Snowden currently has asylum in Russia.

Historian Hubertus Knabe said in the debate: "It's so tragic that he got asylum where democracy does not exist and the secret police has such an important role that the former head of it is now president."
Source
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 12:23 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And I think there's a world of difference between someone like you who thinks the death sentence is more humane than life imprisonment and BillRM for whom it satisfies a blood lust.

I agree with that completely, Izzy...and I want to disassociate my feelings that the death penalty is more humane than life in prison...from the "blood lust" so evident in Bill's screeds.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 01:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It is clear. I can't see you "cheerfully" killing anyone, no matter how repulsive they happen to be.

You may have a point in that many would prefer death to life imprisonment. Those on full life tariffs over here are so repulsive I wouldn't want to give them that option, and I don't think it's the best idea to give religious fanatics the status of martyr.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 01:40 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
in modern times there is zero proof that an innocent man had been executed in the US.

That is incorrect. It was just a couple years ago that Texas had proof that a guy was innocent before his execution, and they executed him anyway even though they knew that he was innocent.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 01:44 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
You can not give back 40 years of someone life either!!!!!!!!!!

You can pay them financial compensation though. (Although both the US and Europe do not do very well at doing that.)

BillRM wrote:
Next there is no solid proof that Cameron Todd Willingham was innocent of killing his children. The best that could be said is there now some reasonable doubt that he was guilty of the crime.

That is incorrect. There is solid proof that the fire was entirely due to accidental causes, and was not arson.

And Texas had that proof before the execution.
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 02:48 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There is solid proof that the fire was entirely due to accidental causes, and was not arson.

Not from my reading of the issue.

An what more what the hell does a maybe a question out of thousands of executions have to do with putting done mad dogs such as the Boston bomber or the shooter at Fort Hood or Timothy McVeigh or................

Anyone would care to claimed that there is a question of who killed our unarmed service men at Fort Hood or who planted the bombs at the Boston marathon or the person who drove the truck to the front of the Oklahoma City Federal Building?
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 03:08 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Not from my reading of the issue.

The world's top arson forensic scientists all agree that the fire was completely accidental, and was definitely not arson.

Texas knew this before they executed him.

BillRM wrote:
An what more what the hell does a maybe a question out of thousands of executions have to do with putting done mad dogs such as the Boston bomber or the shooter at Fort Hood or Timothy McVeigh or................
Anyone would care to claimed that there is a question of who killed our unarmed service men at Fort Hood or who planted the bombs at the Boston marathon or the person who drove the truck to the front of the Oklahoma City Federal Building?

It is likely that approximately 5% of everyone we execute is in fact innocent. There have been a number of cases where it has become clear after execution that the guy was innocent. The Cameron Todd Willingham case is noteworthy because we knew the guy was innocent before we executed him.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 03:26 pm
@RABEL222,
WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN?

The Conflict Between National Security
and Freedom of the Press
By Gary Ross, National Intelligence University, Washington, DC, July 2011

The Scope of Unauthorized Disclosures in the United
States

I’ve been told that The New York Times has so much classified material,
they don’t know where to store it.82
- President Gerald Ford

In the 232 years following the publication of Paine’s “Common Sense”
articles, and the 206 years since Jefferson’s second inaugural address,
unauthorized disclosures by the U.S. media have persisted. Former
Presidents, from Harry S. Truman through George W. Bush, have voiced
their frustration over the practice.83 In 2009, President Barack Obama
joined his predecessors in expressing his displeasure.84

Quantifying precise figures for unauthorized disclosures in a historical
context is difficult. Former Presidents have provided some insight, if
only through hyperbole. In 1951, President Truman remarked “ninetyfive
percent of our secret information has been revealed in newspapers
and slick magazines.”85 Twenty years later, President Nixon discussed
administration efforts to respond to “massive leaks of vital diplomatic and
military secrets.”86 In declassified minutes from a 1974 National Security
Council meeting, President Ford noted: “I’ve been told that The New York
Times has so much classified material, they don’t know where to store
it.”87 When asked in 1981 to identify the biggest disappointment of his
presidency, President Reagan cited “the inability to control the leaks.”88 In
1985, President Reagan famously complained of being “up to my keister
in leaks.”89

Publicly available information concerning the actual number of
unauthorized disclosures during a given period is rare. In 1988 former
DCI Robert Gates wrote that there had been approximately five hundred
documented disclosures between 1979 and 1988, 50 a year during a tenyear
period.90 In November 2000, an NSA official testified before the House
Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI) that the NSA had
identified 40 instances in 1998 where signals intelligence capabilities were
disclosed for the first time in the media and an additional 34 instances in

During testimony before the SSCI in June 2000, Attorney General
Janet Reno stated that the Justice Department had been notified of an
unauthorized disclosure approximately fifty times a year over “the last
several years.”92 This is equivalent to the level identified by DCI Gates,
approximately one unauthorized disclosure per week. Reno added that
virtually all agencies within the Intelligence Community and the Defense
Department had suffered “severe losses of sources, methods, and important
liaison relationships” as the result of unauthorized disclosures.93

The most recent publicly available statistics were provided to the Senate
Judiciary Committee by the Department of Justice in 2010.94 The Justice
Department reported receiving an average of thirty-seven notifications of
unauthorized disclosures annually between 2005 and 2009. The relative
consistency in the number of unauthorized disclosures over the past 30
years demonstrates their persistent nature, independent of which political
party controls the White House or Congress.

Information regarding the number of criminal investigations initiated
by the Justice Department in response to an unauthorized disclosure
is
also seldom released. In 1980, it was reported that the Federal Bureau of
Investigation (FBI) had conducted 25 criminal investigations involving
disclosures over the prior two years, approximately 12 per year.95 A 1985
article revealed that there had been an average of 20-30 active unauthorized
disclosure investigations between 1981 and 1985.96 In response to a query
from the SSCI, the Department of Justice reported that the FBI had
completed 85 investigations predicated on an unauthorized disclosure
between September 2001 and February 2008, approximately thirteen per
year

Several factors may contribute to the persistent supply and demand for
disclosures. Continued partisanship between political parties seeking to
gain an advantage in a narrowly divided Congress, or a similarly divided
public, is one possible factor. The increased quantity of information
required to support U.S. interests worldwide and improvements in the
quality of U.S. collection capabilities might be another. The abundance of
print, broadcast, and electronic media outlets scrutinizing government
activity is likely to play a role. A desire by the public to remain informed of 11
government activity during a time of war may also help sustain this “leak
economy.” The consistent rate of disclosures over the past three decades,
however, demonstrates that this economy is not entirely dependent on
ongoing military hostilities.

History has also shown that unauthorized disclosures can sometimes take
on an eerily repetitive quality. Other than a change in adversary and a 50-
year improvement in technology, a striking similarity exists between a
1958 disclosure concerning the ability of military aircraft to monitor Soviet
missile tests98 and a 2007 article disclosing the monitoring of Chinese
missile tests by satellite.99

History also appears to have repeated itself in 2005 when the New York
Times published an article disclosing the existence of a National Security
Agency (NSA) program to monitor specific domestic communications
without a warrant. Thirty years earlier, in 1975, the Times exposed
Operation SHAMROCK, a decades-long classified program that allowed
the NSA and its predecessors to duplicate and analyze magnetic tapes of
international telegrams.100 Continuing the parallel, the 1975 article resulted
in Congressional hearings to determine whether adequate oversight was
performed. The hearings also examined the legality and propriety of the
program.

[...] Of the approximately 1,500 unauthorized disclosures and 200 criminal
investigations over the past three decades, an indictment rate of .3% (4
out of 1,500) and a conviction rate of .07% (1 out of 1,500) are clearly
ineffective for an approach focused on criminal enforcement.
Whether
the four indictments or single conviction are considered appropriate,
they have not created a significant deterrent for government employees to
discontinue disclosing classified information to the media.

http://fas.org/sgp/eprint/ross.pdf
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Just how often does that happen?
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It is likely that approximately 5% of everyone we execute is in fact innocent.

A figure pull out of the blue and once more what the hell does that have to do with cases of mass murders that there is no question on this earth or any other earth that a given person is guilty?

Why do you wish to give such monsters a free pass?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:36 pm
@RABEL222,
Isn't once too much? In the example I gave to BillRM the evidence was definitely not enough to convict "without reasonable doubt."

That's just one, there are others. Over here we had the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4. And there's the celebrated case of Derek Bentley.

BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Isn't once too much?

Hell no not when it a maybe and also have nothing at all to do with executing mass murderers where there is not a damn question on this earth that they are guilty of the acts in question.

Hell we have videos of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev placing his bomb right next to an 8 years old boy.

Nice that you wish to allowed such men and women to go on living after such deeds but such desire have nothing to do with the question that they might be innocence.
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 11:17 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
A figure pull out of the blue

It's my own personal estimate.

I'm pretty good at making estimates.

BillRM wrote:
and once more what the hell does that have to do with cases of mass murders that there is no question on this earth or any other earth that a given person is guilty?
Why do you wish to give such monsters a free pass?

I didn't know that life in a supermax cell amounted to a free pass. But if it does, the reason I wish to give them such is because we routinely convict and execute innocent people, and sometimes even do so intentionally. Clearly we are not responsible enough to be allowed the option of executing people.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 03:39 am
@BillRM,
You're very stupid, and you're no different from "such people." I've not forgotten the kittens in the park episode, fortunately you were stopped in time.
BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 07:26 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
." I've not forgotten the kittens in the park episode, fortunately you were stopped in time.

LOL.................
0 Replies