Snowdon is a dummy

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 02:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
France's deterrence strategy specifically mentions that France should use its nukes to deter a conventional aggression by a much larger force.

That would lead to an interesting dilemma for France then, if they were ever faced with such a conventional invasion.

If France used their strategic nukes and provoked a nuclear retaliation, the end result would likely be worse for France than if they had kept their strategic nukes in reserve.

Traditionally if a nuclear power wishes to use nukes to prevent overwhelming conventional invasion, they do not use deterrence by strategic nukes. Rather they develop tactical nukes which could destroy a large conventional army without rising to the level of strategic nuclear war.
oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 02:09 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Especially after the Iraq war. We now know the US military is rich but not particularly smart. The Turks would easily defeat them.

In the Iraq war (2003 I presume) it took us about three weeks to completely destroy the Iraqi government.

It would take us about three weeks to defeat Turkey as well.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 02:31 pm
@oralloy,
It also lead to an interesting dilemma for the attacker: you may win but not be around to enjoy it...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 02:42 pm
@revelette2,
Because Oralboy's a total idiot with no grasp of reason whatsoever. It's a ridiculous and disastrous scenario with Al Qaida as the only possible victors. (Which is probably why a creep like Oralboy thinks it's a good idea.)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 02:45 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It would take us about three weeks to defeat Turkey as well.

Wishful thinking. Turkey is a real nation, not some artificial colonial construct. They will actually fight, if attacked. They also have NATO-grade weaponry. Besides, most US casualties in Iraq came after those three weeks...

Your ideas of worldwide US domination by force are wet dreams, and even wetter since the Iraq war. It's about leadership, not domination.
oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 04:02 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Wishful thinking. Turkey is a real nation, not some artificial colonial construct. They will actually fight, if attacked. They also have NATO-grade weaponry.

It would take us 4 weeks to crush them, at the most.

Olivier5 wrote:
Besides, most US casualties in Iraq came after those three weeks...

Yes. During the period where we were actually crushing a foreign government, we took virtually no casualties.

Olivier5 wrote:
Your ideas of worldwide US domination by force are wet dreams, and even wetter since the Iraq war. It's about leadership, not domination.

I'm not entirely sure how that metaphor is supposed to translate. However, if we smashed up some of the little countries now and then, it would really help to cut down on their attitude problems.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 04:19 pm
@oralloy,
OBL also thought that 9/11 would help to cut down on the US attitude problems. Didn't work very well.... Reagan invaded Grenada and supported some terrorist network in Nicaragua for the same reasons, but many latin american countries are today led by leftists...
oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 09:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
OBL also thought that 9/11 would help to cut down on the US attitude problems. Didn't work very well....

That's because we didn't have any attitude problems to begin with.

Olivier5 wrote:
Reagan invaded Grenada and supported some terrorist network in Nicaragua for the same reasons,

I am not very familiar with our reasons for intervening in Grenada. However, our support for the Contra freedom fighters was to prevent Communism from taking over Central America.

Olivier5 wrote:
but many latin american countries are today led by leftists...

After the Cold War, Communism was no longer a threat, so we stopped caring whether or not other countries chose communism.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:26 am
As far as I can tell this conversation seems to be mostly between dumb and dumber.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:03 pm
@RABEL222,
Then, why are you here>? The devil made me respond. LOL
RABEL222

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 11:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well dumbest is still left for me.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 11:52 am
@RABEL222,
According to SPIEGEL/spiegel-online, the German Federal Government filed charges against a person or persons unknown because of "breach of official secrets and special duties of confidentiality" (§ 353 StGB / Section 353b German Criminal Code).
The reason is that a lot of (secret)details from NSA-committee, about the BND etc were published.

-----------

And: German loophole allows BND spy agency to snoop on own people
Quote:
German MPs examining the surveillance activities the US National Security Agency have found a legal loophole that allows the Berlin’s foreign intelligence agency to spy on its own citizens.

The agency, known by its German acronym BND, is not usually allowed to intercept communications made by Germans or German companies, but a former BND lawyer told parliament this week that citizens working abroad for foreign companies were not protected.

The German government confirmed on Saturday that work-related calls or emails were attributed to the employer. As a result, if the employer is foreign, the BND could legally intercept them.

Opposition politicians have accused Angela Merkel’s government of pretending to be outraged about alleged spying by the NSA while condoning illegal surveillance itself.
revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm sorry, Walter, I am aware of how you and probably a lot of people in your country feel about these things.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:58 pm
@revelette2,
Only the opposition (the 'Left' and the 'Alliance '90/The Greens') criticized the legal opinion of the BND as fundamentally questionable.
revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 04:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It seems there are left and right groups everywhere. In your country is it pretty well evenly divided?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 11:40 pm
@revelette2,
It's not pretty well in my opinion.

We certainly have got quite a lot now on the (populist) right/far right.
The Left (party) will get its first minister president ("governor") in Thuringia.

In the federal parliament, the opposition is left (Left and Greens), the government is a coalition between the CDU/CSU (right centre) and the SPD (left centre). Other parties aren't represented.
revelette2

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 09:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I suppose it would take more than a few posts to understand your government. It is those opposition groups and the left who are against these developments which have been reported by your newspapers. It is good though that your newspapers are free to report the news so people can be informed and continue to press to have those addressed and changed.

I do not think we here in the US are so involved with our government as a whole in my opinion. We seem to just follow the headlines and become involved with those issues. When the headlines changes, it seems so does our interest.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 10:11 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
It is those opposition groups and the left ...
"The Left" (Die Linke) is a left party and part of the parliamentary opposition.

I do think that in all (democratic) countries the media report not only what the governmental parties think and the government does but about the politics of the opposition as well.
And since some parties are not in the federal but still in some state governments or parliaments (the FDP [Free Democratic Party, a liberal centre-right party) and others are in the focus for different reasons (like the populist AfD or extreme right-wing ["neo-Nazi"] parties, media report about those as well.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 10:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Back to Snowden.

As published in the new print edition of SPIEGEL and reported by spiegel-online, the German federal government was already informed by the BND in 2005 (!) that the USA spied on German institutions, organisations and businesses.
That's in a four pages report by the BND, dated March 23, 2005.
And before, already on February 8, 2005, the then president of the BND informed the Chancellery about the US' spy activities.
Quote from the BND-report: the US-activities are "in our opinion symptomatic to widespread spying of German institutions by friendly or allied nations."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Geschwister-Scholl Prize (literally, Scholl Siblings Prize) is awarded in honor of brother and sister Sophie and Hans Scholl, both members of the White Rose student group which staged a non-violent resistance against Nazi Germany. They were imprisoned by the Nazis and executed in 1943 at the age of 21 and 24, respectively.

Glenn Greenwald is to collect one of Germany's most coveted literary accolades in Munich for his book, "No Place To Hide," this evening in Munich.

Previous recipients of the prize include Chinese writer Liao Yiwu, former East German civil rights activist and current German President Joachim Gauck, controversial Israeli author David Grossman, and Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, who received the award posthumously in 2007.

The award was founded in 1980 and each year recognizes a book which shows "intellectual independence" and champions civil freedoms and moral courage. (Source: DW, agencies)

0 Replies