Snowdon is a dummy

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Back to Snowden ...

Right you are, Walter.

Edward Snowden is accused by the United State of stealing classified documents and releasing them to people not authorized to receive them.

He deserves a fair trial on those charges...and I hope he gets one.

Quote:

... the (German) Chaos Computer Club "decided to support Snowden's six European lawyers with 36.000 Euro to cover their expenses. Earlier this year, the CCC general assembly also decided to offer Edward Snowden the honorary membership, which he accepted gladly." Source

Ahhh...there are people who want to see Snowden nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize also.

No telling what motivates people to want the stuff they want in this world.
revelette2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:52 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Not to mention that off hand there seems no other reason to be offering that help by way of anonymous emails

Perhaps the one offering the information via anonymous emails is simply paranoid like the rest of you and does not want the NSA know he is the source.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Ahhh...there are people who want to see Snowden nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize also.
Actually, Snowden was nominated by Norwegian lawmakers, in January. (There are 278 candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize for 2014.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Back to Snowden ...

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps384f762b.jpg

Quote:
The National Security Agency is secretly providing data to nearly two dozen U.S. government agencies with a “Google-like” search engine built to share more than 850 billion records about phone calls, emails, cellphone locations, and internet chats, according to classified documents obtained by The Intercept.

The documents provide the first definitive evidence that the NSA has for years made massive amounts of surveillance data directly accessible to domestic law enforcement agencies. Planning documents for ICREACH, as the search engine is called, cite the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement Administration as key participants.

ICREACH contains information on the private communications of foreigners and, it appears, millions of records on American citizens who have not been accused of any wrongdoing. Details about its existence are contained in the archive of materials provided to The Intercept by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.
... ... ... ... ... ...

Source: The Surveillance Engine: How the NSA Built Its Own Secret Google
revelette2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Personally when I read messages like the one above, the reaction I have is a massive amount of resentment that Snowden leaked so much information to put it in the hands of foreign newspapers.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:01 pm
@revelette2,
Well, it is known since quite some time that it were about two million classified files.
revelette2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Your point?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:17 pm
@revelette2,
That "some" more will come.
BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:26 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
is simply paranoid

Now why would anyone be paranoid over a government that is keeping a database on those who even download the tor software?

Or that have god know how many tens of thousands on no fly lists including US citizens without the right of even knowing why they are on the list or having a right to openly challenge being on such lists?

No reason to be paranoid except if for one you wish to be sure that you can go on a vacation by air or return from a vacation from abroad for that matter.

revelette2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
That "some" more will come.

No doubt.

I guess the only reassurance the NSA has is that any secret document they may have since Snowden left he won't be able to get his dirty little hands on.
revelette2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:59 pm
@BillRM,
You were the one who said

Quote:
Not to mention that off hand there seems no other reason to be offering that help by way of anonymous emails

The answer came pretty quickly off the top of my head and judging by your response, you agree.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:04 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:

I guess the only reassurance the NSA has is that any secret document they may have since Snowden left he won't be able to get his dirty little hands on.

Bingo! Beautifully stated, Revelette.
BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:16 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
The answer came pretty quickly off the top of my head and judging by your response, you agree.

Agree with what?

That the US is starting to become a police state where even those US citizens who are not breaking any laws need to be concern about the government taking actions against them and in some cases actions taken in secret?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Agree with what?

That the US is starting to become a police state where even those US citizens who are not breaking any laws need to be concern about the government taking actions against them and in some cases actions taken in secret?

Yeah, right. I can see you and some of these others in terror at posting your demeaning thoughts as often as you do.

Give it a break, Bill. You are my first witness that the United States is not becoming a police state...because people like you would be much, much more silent if it were.

Speak out all you want...and be as negative as you want, Bill It is a free country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 02:24 pm
Snowden Case: US Social Media Users Choose Not to Publicly Share Their Views on the Topic
Quote:
[...]
The Pew Research Center questioned 1,801 adults in the United States about social issues and about one important public issue: the revelations based on Edward Snowden’s NSA files regarding the mass surveillance of American’s phone and email records.

This was the chosen topic, because the Research Center noticed in other studies that Americans were divided on whether the leaks were good or not. For instance, one survey found 44 percent of people saying the release of classified information harms the public interest, while 49 percent believe the data serves the public interest.

The new survey found that people were less willing to discuss the Snowden-NSA story in social media than they were in person. About 86 percent of Americans were willing to have an in-person conversation about the topic, but only 42 percent of them were willing to post about it on Facebook and Twitter.

Out of the 14 percent of Americans that were completely unwilling to discuss the NSA scandal in person, only 0.3 percent were willing to post about it on social media. This means that social media is no longer a refuge where people can share their opinions without fear of any getting slammed by trolls.

Both in personal and online settings, people did seem to be more willing to discuss their views if they thought the other people agreed with them, regardless if this happened at work, or with friends.
[...]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 02:39 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I respect Snowden's dirty little hands over your dirty minds. Without Snowden, we wouldn't know that the US government broke the laws of our land and our Constitution. That's the primary law that protects all Americans - or should.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

I respect Snowden's dirty little hands over your dirty minds. Without Snowden, we wouldn't know that the US government broke the laws of our land and our Constitution. That's the primary law that protects all Americans - or should.

"My dirty mind"? How is my personal opinion that Snowden was disloyal to his country when he absconded with NSA's highly sensitive material, leaves me with a dirty mind?

Mr. Snowden distributed these sensitive documents to journalists not appointed as representatives of the US government, to disperse anyway they saw fit?! Nothing has altered my opinion regarding Snowden. My country comes first and I will defend it against those who try to tarnish its reputation. I am always criticizing my country, but there is little the ordinary citizen can do to alter their nation's "hidden" policies. Now, CI, you are deliriously happy that Snowden did what he did, and you have every right to your views. I am not hounding you because you believe Snowden is a knight in shining armor by what he did. If I have a disagreement with my country, I will join a group and protest, write to newspapers, blog, etc. But to betray one's country before other nations, revealing secrets that possibly might involve spying on them is just too much damage to the US.

There is no such thing as the perfect country....so why do you expect so much of the US, the country of your birth?! Every one of these countries spy on America....not all have been caught....you seem to demand a different standard for America. Israel is supposedly one of the US closest allies, yet the State Department is supposedly riddled with spies for Israel....a segment dramatizing this was given on "60 Minutes" a couple of years ago detailing Israeli spies in the State Dept. This NSA technology now exist in most western countries. Barack cannot even use his Blackberry while he's president because foreign nations have the capability to listen in.

I vociferously object to your characterization that I have a dirty mind.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 07:01 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
dirt·y
ˈdərtē/
adjective
covered or marked with an unclean substance.

Our Constitution should be sacrosanct. You are essentially throwing mud at our Constitution.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 07:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Our Constitution should be sacrosanct. You are essentially throwing mud at our Constitution.

Pardon me, CI, but methinks you are confused. "I" haven't done anything to smear the Constitution.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 08:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is it OK CI if I throw mud at the Supreme Court for subverting our constitution into saying things that it was never meant to say, things like corporations are people with the right to vote. If we want to keep our freedom we had better pay attention to things closer to home. Snowden is in Russia. Fine with me. Hope he stays there till he dies.