Snowdon is a dummy

revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not sure I understand how their rights were harmed by the lights, but I can see why the embassy wouldn't have liked the art.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Apropos privacy: it's really gone. Not only for foreigners but for Americans as well. Legally gone!
Quote:
Ars editor learns feds have his old IP addresses, full credit card numbers

FOIA request turns up 9 years of records, including plaintext credit card numbers.
[...]
The 76 new pages of data, covering 2005 through 2013, show that CBP retains massive amounts of data on us when we travel internationally. My own PNRs include not just every mailing address, e-mail, and phone number I've ever used; some of them also contain:

- The IP address that I used to buy the ticket
- My credit card number (in full)
- The language I used
- Notes on my phone calls to airlines, even for something as minor as a seat change

The breadth of long-term data retention illustrates yet another way that the federal government enforces its post-September 11 "collect it all" mentality.
[...]
As I looked through the logs, I also saw notes, presumably made by call center staff, recording each time I had tried to make a change by phone. Hasbrouck said that this is typical and that it's one of the downsides of global outsourcing—the people I’m talking to probably have no idea that everything they write down will be kept in American government records for years.
[...]
PNRs also include personal information about someone's travel, such as whether they request special meals (possibly revealing religion) or if they need special accommodations (possibly revealing a health condition). The fact that PNRs can be so revealing is part of the longstanding hangups between such data sharing between the United States and the European Union.
... ... ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:07 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Not sure I understand how their rights were harmed by the lights,
They certainly didn't give the permission to "illuminate" their building.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:53 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Since I can't really hear those things,

or read or think about or discuss those things.
revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:00 am
@JTT,
Well, not true, if it was closed captioned which I wish all youtubes or internet videos were, then I could have easily read it and not have had to ask. It is frustrating as I am not good at reading lips on the computer or on TV screens.

I just don't like to read your posts when its either filled with hyperbolic opinions or long lists of wrong doing by the US.
revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I am sure that consideration was secondary to content. But good art work and I imagine it appealed to those it was targeted for.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:33 am
@revelette2,
When the artist made a similar project last year ..

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsfe923e87.jpg

... he was investigated because it might have been a "Defamation of organs and representatives of foreign states" (§103 StGB). It wasn't. And the USA didn't want a prosecution.

But now it seems to be different: media are quoting eye-witnesses that a civilian passer-by, who came from the entrance of the US-embassy, informed the policemen about it.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 11:35 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I just don't like to read your posts when its either filled with hyperbolic opinions or long lists of wrong doing by the US.

But you love to discuss short lists of everyone else's wrongdoings, Rev. Why not address the USA's long list. This long list is what is causing the vast majority of problems on the short lists.

Need I remind you of that uncomfortable truth;

USA terrorism and war crimes are the major cause of all the security problems in the world today. No one in the Middle East would care at all about the USA if the USA had not been stealing their wealth and killing them.

That's fact, no matter how much you want to wing off to LaLa land when you hear it. And y'all know it! You don't tell me it's false, y'all just keep saying you don't want to hear it.
revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 11:57 am
@JTT,
Some I have no idea about, some I agree with, but some I don't. In short, I don't think we are much worse than many other countries but sometimes, we make mistakes or blunders or sometimes we (like Iraq and Vietnam) we cause needless death or suffering. It is the price we pay with having elections, some president's are different than others and not all of them are bad and not everything we do is bad or done with some kind of weird desire to take over the world like some amateur scientific fantasy cartoon show. Personally I agree, we should get out of all these countries, we really don't need to be there anymore if we ever did and start spending our own money on our own people. We can stay involved with other countries without having armies stationed there. I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:03 pm
@revelette2,
"The greatest myth concerning American foreign policies is the deeply-held belief that no matter what the United States does abroad, no matter how bad it may look, no matter what horror may result, the American government means well. American leaders may make mistakes, they may blunder, they may even on the odd occasion cause more harm than good, but they do mean well. Their intentions are always honorable. Of that Americans are certain. They genuinely wonder why the rest of the world can't see how kind and generous and self-sacrificing America has been."

William Blum
revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:28 pm
@JTT,
There is a middle ground and most of the time that is where the truth lies. My own quote for whatever its worth.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:40 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
some president's are different than others and not all of them are bad

We really need only concern ourselves with post WWII.

"If Nuremberg were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."
- Noam Chomsky

Nuremberg was largely a USA creation. It established the parameters for war crimes. Every USA president since then has committed war crimes that, in a just world, would have seen them hang. That means that all presidents were/are bad.

and not everything we do is bad or done with some kind of weird desire to take over the world like some amateur scientific fantasy cartoon show. [/quote]
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:46 pm
@revelette2,
You keep grasping what is a fiction as regards the USA, Rev.

Quote:
When searching for the documentary record of the “good old days” back when the U.S. Government provided a shining example of honest government to the world, one quickly comes to the realization that those halcyon days never actually existed. In fact, the record of the English and Dutch occupations of North America, which led to the establishment of English colonies and later to the American Revolution are a record of unparallelled brutality and thievery: first of the lands of the aboriginal peoples of the North American continent, and almost immediately, the twin, world-historic crimes of the genocide of the Native American population and the African Slave Trade show that from its very inception, the U.S. Government has been a plague on world civilization and has been responsible for horrendous atrocities throughout its short and hopefully not much longer-lived history.

KEEP READING AT,

http://iwpchi.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/the-rise-of-u-s-imperialism-teddy-roosevelts-racist-u-s-war-crimes-in-the-philippines-1898/

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 01:27 pm
@revelette2,
What you observe is true; most cultures and races have some history of unnecessary violence against their own or other groups. It only needs a modicum of historical knowledge to understand this simple truth. Some people lack any historical knowledge.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This just doesn't square with your take on Israel, CI. In fact you have never explained why you focus so heavily on that situation but give what amounts to a free pass to the USA, which is exactly what you are attempting here.

The question is why.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 07:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
civilian passer-by who came from the entrance of the US-embassy

That is a pretty vague way of identifying who it was. Leaves a lot of room for speculation. Was the person coming out of the US embassy a US citizen or a German citizen? Was it a US citizen who worked at the embassy or just a US citizen who was just coming out of the building? What I am getting at, though the whole thing is not a big deal in my opinion, if the citizen did not officially work for the embassy and did not get orders from an official in the US embassy, then perhaps it wasn't an official USA decision to inform the police but just that citizen passer-by who was coming out of the US embassy decision to inform the police.
JTT

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:40 am
@revelette2,
You have, like your compatriots, an incredible ability to ignore the truth, Rev.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 09:56 am
@JTT,
Because Israel is far worse than the US. E.g. the US could have colonized Japan, or Germany, or France after WW2. They didn't. The day Israel not only gives back to west bank to a Palestinian government, but also lends funds for the reconstruction and development of the West Bank, like the US did for West Germany, you will have a point.
revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:06 am
Not that it makes any difference, but should have said, civilian rather than citizen. On second thought, it might make a difference. In any event, sure it slow around here.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 10:16 am
@JTT,
Not really ignoring it, it just that most of that is now water under the bridge. In almost every country, someone conquered someone else to claim the country. However, I agree, we should have been more humane in regards to the Indians. The slave part was a disgrace in which we still deal with the ramifications to this day. Also, the framers saying everybody was equal, they clearly wasn't and it took a very long time until they were. But under it all, the constitution has stood us in pretty good stead to address some of those wrongs, and I am hoping with further progress, we are involved less physically with other countries and learn to be more of partner rather than a boss so to speak with other countries.

I am frankly tired of talking about this.