Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
America's National Security Agency has stated that Dishfire - a secret operation which has reportedly collected millions of text messages that can be viewed by British spies - does exist and that it lawfully collects SMS data.

The NSA also said that privacy protections are in place for US citizens, according to Channel 4 News.

Meanwhile, GCHQ said: "All of GCHQ's work is carried out in accordance with the strict legal and policy framework which ensures that our activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate and that there is rigorous oversight."
Source
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:30 pm
Quote:
Cameron discusses intelligence-gathering with Obama

The Prime Minister and US President Barack Obama have discussed intelligence-gathering techniques in a phone conversation this afternoon.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zpse041cbf0.jpg
Source
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:50 pm
@oralloy,
I can't wait for them to bomb the offices of the New York Times and Washington Post... ;-)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Meanwhile, GCHQ said: "All of GCHQ's work is carried out in accordance with the strict legal and policy framework which ensures that our activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate and that there is rigorous oversight."

And why the stress on "rigorous oversight", a relative term, if the staff are not predicted to be up to no good if left to themselves. Is there anybody bringing to bear "very rigorous oversight" on the procedures of the "rigorous oversight". After all, they have more or less all been to similar schools, watched similar movies and TV programmes, and read similar publications. They probably have more or less similar lifestyles.

And they have been recruited in a similar manner.

If spies are needed to spy on the spies then spies are needed to spy on the spies who spy on the spies. And so on up to where the buck stops. If where the buck stops is not in the Oval Office then there is a state within a state. Unelected.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 08:46 pm
@spendius,
Spending, When did you become so aware and wise these past few posts?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Personally I am beginning to feel sorry for the readers of all these data and texts collectors. I'm kinda interested in how they all get read or whatever, surely every single one don't really get read? Does it go through some kind of machine and code words sorts them out and those get read? That would still be a lot of useless material to have to go through.

Supposed to be some kind of press conference today about all this from Obama.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:09 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Presidential Policy Directive on Signals Intelligence Activities

Obama orders curbs on NSA data use
Quote:
President Barack Obama has ordered curbs on the use of bulk data collected by US intelligence agencies, saying civil liberties must be respected.

In a much-anticipated speech, Mr Obama said US intelligence had prevented terror attacks at home and abroad.

But he said the rush to respond to real threats had come with the risk of the government over-reaching itself.

His reforms should give Americans "greater confidence their rights are being protected", he said.

The move follows global anger over details of the work of the National Security Agency, leaked by Edward Snowden.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Text of Obama’s Speech on N.S.A. Phone Surveillance
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

revelette2 wrote:
Presidential Policy Directive on Signals Intelligence Activities

Obama orders curbs on NSA data use
Quote:
President Barack Obama has ordered curbs on the use of bulk data collected by US intelligence agencies, saying civil liberties must be respected.

In a much-anticipated speech, Mr Obama said US intelligence had prevented terror attacks at home and abroad.

But he said the rush to respond to real threats had come with the risk of the government over-reaching itself.

His reforms should give Americans "greater confidence their rights are being protected", he said.

The move follows global anger over details of the work of the National Security Agency, leaked by Edward Snowden.

I'm going to "interpret" that about the same way I "interpret" the comment by Chris Christie that said, "I take full responsibility for what happened."

It is the politic thing to say...and in the case of President Obama, I hope it means that we will continue doing just what we have been doing with the same safeguards in place...all of which have worked fine to date and which do not significantly impact negatively on anybody.

Countries are going to spy...because...well, just because.

I think the spying is being done on the scale it is simply because we have the capability to do it...and I personally guess that we truly are not abusing it.

I also suspect it has been a reasonably valuable tool in efforts of the United States to help keep the world safe from people who simply want to cause carnage for carnage sake.

I understand and acknowledge that reasonable, well-intentioned, intelligent people can, and probably will, take strong exception to my opinion in this regard.

On a personal note: I thank you, Walter, for all the work you are putting into this issue...and for all the information you have been sharing.
BillRM

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
All of which have worked fine to date and which do not significantly impact negatively on anybody

Tell that to the husband/wives or boyfriends/girlfriends that had been spy on by NSA employees just as one small known example of negative impact.

Quote:
and I personally guess that we truly are not abusing it.

An that is due to your opinion that human nature had change since Hoover was blackmailing Presidents and congressmen and suggesting to Rev King that he killed himself?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 12:16 pm
@BillRM,
Just proves ad nauseum that Frank doesn't understand the US Constitution. He thinks his opinion has more importance.
TNCFS

Even Obama said he was going to rein in the NSA.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 12:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, it's snow day here at my house and I missed the speech. I read most of it, not too surprisingly, I found nothing objectionable in it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 01:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
All of which have worked fine to date and which do not significantly impact negatively on anybody

Tell that to the husband/wives or boyfriends/girlfriends that had been spy on by NSA employees just as one small known example of negative impact.

(I really wish you could write a coherent paragraph once in a while...just to show you are not a third grader hijacking Mommy's computer.)

Anyway...name three with their addresses...and I will write them and "tell them."

Quote:

Quote:
and I personally guess that we truly are not abusing it.

An that is due to your opinion that human nature had change since Hoover was blackmailing Presidents and congressmen and suggesting to Rev King that he killed himself?

I am guessing it, because I am guessing it, Bill
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 01:59 pm
@BillRM,
By the way...on a personal note:

Thanks for quoting me, so that my bitch, ci, could make a comment.

I miss him now that he is pretending to be ignoring my posts.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 02:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

You are guessing it because you do not have a rational mind or at least you do not have one when employing it would not support your emotional positions.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 02:38 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

You are guessing it because you do not have a rational mind or at least you do not have one when employing it would not support your emotional positions.

I appreciate you sharing your guess about why I am guessing my guess, Bill.

Wink
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 10:39 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Thanks, it's snow day here at my house and I missed the speech. I read most of it, not too surprisingly, I found nothing objectionable in it.

The idea of setting up a special private corporation to hold all the phone records seems likely to have all sorts of unintended consequences.

Employees of this new corporation will not have the same degree of oversight that employees of the NSA are subject to, and will be able to carry out their own unauthorized and illicit spying on a daily basis.

The new corporation will be a major target for hackers. We should expect the criminal underworld to regularly gain access to all the phone metadata information and use it to further their efforts at identity theft.

And the biggest unintended consequence of all will be: Once the government starts getting these records by way of court-ordered subpoena, every divorce lawyer in the nation is going to start getting data from this archive.
BillRM

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 12:45 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The new corporation will be a major target for hackers. We should expect the criminal underworld to regularly gain access to all the phone metadata information and use it to further their efforts at identity theft.

The solution to that is not to maintain a data base of all US calls in the first place as there is no repeat no evidence by our President own panel that this data base had been of any help since it was created after 911 in dealing with terrorists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 09:22 am
What They're Saying About Obama's NSA Speech - collected by AP via npr.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 12:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It seems they still have not learned that the majority are against their mass collection of communication data. This may be the issue that destroys him by historians.
0 Replies