How many people have a watch here?

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:58 pm
Recently I find many people are collecting all types of watches, some men like vintage watches, some fascinated with digital watches and a number of people only add luxury watches to their collection. So how about you guys? Do you have a watch or decide to purchase one or more?
Why so many people love collecting watches? It's beyond my understands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 31 • Views: 19,331 • Replies: 47
Topic Closed

roger

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:14 pm
@watch-fob,
I don't understand it, either.I wear a Timex that updates time and date every day. I also have an old self winding watch that I keep at the ready. I attach it to the cat with a rubber band, and get out the laser pointer.
0 Replies

Ragman

Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:29 pm
@watch-fob,
I don't have the time.
Lordyaswas

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:17 am
My German Shepherd barks out the time on the hour, and howls every quarter hour.

He's my watch dog.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:34 am
@Lordyaswas,
Well, since I've been in the navy, I've got a ship's dog, with eight barks, one for each half-hour of a four-hour watch.
Lordyaswas

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My previous dog was extremely intelligent, and learned how to bark tunes, mainly classical stuff.

I still miss Offenbach.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:11 am
@Lordyaswas,
Did he know the actual time as well?
Lordyaswas

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, as he'd make me a cup of Darjeeling at 8am, and a Lapsang Souchong at 4.30pm.

Unless there was a full moon of course. Then he'd just sit and stare until I pulled my trousers back up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You know why the afternoon watches are called the dog watches, don't you?

Because they're curtailed.

(Patrick O'Brian of Aubrey-Maturin fame came up with that one.)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 04:22 am
@Setanta,
I really didn't mind why they were called such - it was a terribe watch, especially on a boat with just two watches. (And the starboard watch on my boat was always the one who were scammed most ... guess, what had been mine watch)
roger

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 06:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Were they saving the cost of watches, or did the navy invent an 8 hour day?
Lordyaswas

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 06:22 am
@roger,
German Naval Chiefs came up with the idea of an 8 hour day during the latter part of the war, so that night time would come round quicker and their subs could hunt.
They never rescinded the order, and that is why Walter has just celebrated his 142nd birthday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 08:30 am
@roger,
That had to do with the number of crew members.
On the minesweeper, we actually could do three watches, but since we were only two navigators, the two of us made six hours watches, if such happened.
And on the landing craft, I've been on as a reserve officer, there was one navigator. We had two watches only rarely (= always when I've been on board). Sometimes, the officer of the watch was doing the navigational stuff as well ...
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 08:35 am
@watch-fob,
I wear an atomic watch for my work. Its more convenient than digging out my cellphone or leaving it on a drill rig table where itll jiggle off (I lost a good Tag Heuer chronograph that way.

I do wear a Tag for "jewelry purposes more than time keeping. It looks good with a suit and I can easily refer to it in meetings. Watches are more "stealthy" than cell phones. When you keep checking a cell phone at a meeting it appears rude. You glance at you watch as you reach for your beverage, its normal.

The bureau of stadards "atomic clocks" are the only ay to check time in the field, where I go, most cell phones quit working (no bars)
Setanta

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 08:39 am
I always liked Cheech and Chong's take on timepieces . . .

. . . uh, no, man, i don't got no watch . . .

Yeah, well you should, because then you'd know that nighttime is the wrong time for you to be in this part of town!
0 Replies

roger

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 08:40 am
@farmerman,
Now, theres a good use for a watch. Give it a couple of significant glances to let people know their silly meeting has gone on long enough.
Lordyaswas

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 09:04 am
@farmerman,
I have several watches, one posh, one broken, one beautiful and deco but loses five minutes a day, and the most reliable one, a cheapo Timex moonphase watch that hasn't lost or gained a minute since 1990.

I can also go out at night, look at my watch, look up at the moon and wonder how such a large orbiting satellite can get so out of synch.
0 Replies

watch-fob

Thu 27 Jun, 2013 09:38 pm
@roger,
Good idea, I think you're serious, hahaha
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 28 Jun, 2013 03:15 am
I have a watch, a pocket watch. Like most modern devices, it's battery-powered. The last time the battery died, i didn't bother to replace it. There are four clocks upstairs. Downstairs, the microwave has a built in clock, there's a clock on the computer and one on the tv/dvd player. If you ask someone on the street if they know the time, they pull out a phone and consult that. Watches have become technological dinosaurs for most people--good luck with your attempt to flog them here.
farmerman

Fri 28 Jun, 2013 04:50 am
@Setanta,
just like vinyl recrds, yet even vinyl records and analog record players have seen a renewed interest as people demand true sound reproduction
Watches will always have a use in several professions and in some cases are becoming a "fashion statement" They sell these HUUUGE moon fced mens watches on tv where everyone is attempting to own a fake Rolex,