God Damnit, Texas.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:29 pm
Despite Massive Protests, Texas GOP Rushes Through Abortion Restrictions In The Middle Of The Night

That was Sunday night.

Today, State Senator Wendy Davis attempted a filibuster, which lasted 9 hours before the Republicans found a pretext with which to shut her down.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57590966/texas-senator-wendy-davis-filibusters-against-abortion-bill/

People filled the gallery, trying to shout down the proceedings.

Republicans claim that they took the vote prior to the midnight deadline; Dems dispute that.

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:31 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh hell. I thought God Damnit was going to be another one of those interesting Texas place names
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:39 pm
@DrewDad,
Is it just my imagination or at times does this country seem to be going in reverse instead of forward?

Very discouraging to learn this news DrewDad.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:34 am
Ass of now the vote has failed. But Governor Shweinhund Perry will almost certainly call an extended special session to ramrod it through.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:41 am
Which will only further the political grandstanding, and impose misery on women and families until the bullshit is struck down in the courts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 05:06 am
Our only real hope is that the Supreme Court will see a flaw in it and nullify it.
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 05:10 am
It may not need to go that far, if a lower court sees it as an attempt to simply block access to abortion, while ignoring all that old women's health and safety BS. It's not just SB 5, either--Perry's trying to ram an entire anti-abortion package through.
Thomas

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 05:14 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Our only real hope is that the Supreme Court will see a flaw in it and nullify it.

I think the hope of Texas Republicans want this to go to the Supreme Court, where opponents of a right to abortion currently have a majority of 5:4. This is depressing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 05:16 am
@Setanta,
True. His entire agenda is getting almost automatic approval, but for some delaying tactics from some of the Democrats. Only the judges and the voters can put a brake to it.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:09 am
Dewhurst declares abortion bill dead, blames 'unruly mob'
DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:15 am
@revelette,
I'm very thankful for that unruly mob. I'd be thankful even if they'd failed to stop the bill.

Until the crowd started taking things into their own hands, I was seriously considering whether I wanted to remain in this state.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:07 am
Placing hope for justice in this Supreme Court is an exercise in futility. This is the most politically conservative Supreme court in decades. That is unless one agrees that the rich buying politicians is the proper way to govern.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:36 am
@RABEL222,
You can't really say that and mean it. ACA passed, today DOMA was struck down as well as Prop 8 in CA.

To say this is the most politically conservative court is false.

Besides a limit on abortions after 23 weeks, what is the other issue with this abortion law?
boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:48 am
@Baldimo,
I think there were a lot of other issues with this law -- like doctors having to have admitting privileges at area hospitals and building modifications having to be made.

As I understand it, the law would have closed the doors on every abortion provider but five.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:59 am
@Baldimo,
It's a back door to block access to abortion without outlawing abortion.

They're all very careful to couch it in language of "protecting women's health," because they know their statements can be used in a court challenge, but the goal of the bill was clear.

And the way they treated the opponents of the bill was very telling, as well. It was a brilliant tactical move to have the filibuster done by a woman.
boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:40 am
@DrewDad,
She did a brilliant job.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:41 am
A cheer from me for Wendy Davis!

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/06/wendy-davis-has-been-this-amazing-forever.html
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:43 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

She did a brilliant job.

Yes, she did.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:47 am
@DrewDad,
You mean like gun control? Banning guns to protect children when we all know it is an attempt to ban guns.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 01:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Yeah, screw children! Let the little urchins take care of themselves. I want gun control to protect me.
0 Replies