School of Rock ROCKS!!! (spoilers included)

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:32 pm
I saw School of Rock over the weekend and I thought it rocked. This movie can serve as a pro-funding for the arts in public schools propaganda--the DVD prefaced the movie with a Public Service Announcement for just that--and I couldn't agree more with this view. Puritanical frowning upon music and the arts aside, teaching arts in school helps raise well-rounded individuals. Mike White, the director and screen writer, chose an idealized setting for his film, an affluent school with an ethnically diverse classroom. Whites, Blacks, Asians, and ethnically obscure children are all represented. There's even an effeminate boy who serves as the children's class project stylist (take that, Puritans!).

I find Jack Black rather annoying, but he does an excellent job preforming with the children as Dewey Finn, their fraudulent substitute teacher. They had a rapport going that seemed very natural. The children were fantastic. Mike White assembled a group of very talented children, and all the characters were endearing, from the reticent boy with the domineering father, the overweight girl with the awesome voice and lack of self-esteem, to the "grade grubbing" little girl who Finn makes the project manager.

The climax depended on a contrivance.The children all get together and leave the school campus to preform at a battle-of-the-bands competition in a nightclub, and it occurs to not a single parent to call the police. Finn is discovered to be a fraud, yet charges aren't brought against him. So, all the parents get together to look for their children, track them down to the nightclub, pay the admission to get in, and finally discover how Finn has brought them all together to ROCK. Contrived ending, but the director made his point. This movie is very inspirational, and funding for the arts in school should not be cut.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fluffhead237

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:53 pm
I agree infrablue. It was a good movie. Made me laugh and had an excellent message.

Just a suggestion for you. For the members here that haven't seen the movie, can you indicate in your subject line that you include spoilers.

Thanks.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:01 pm
Oops, sorry.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:01 pm
Too late!
I hate when people do that. arrrggghhh!
I'll see the movie anyway, the kids will want to. Thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:08 pm
Hey, it's not that great. It was a sometimes funny goofy comedy vehicle for Jack Black, who is great, but it wasn't a really great movie.

Orange County, also with Jack Black, is sooo much funnier! And it's just a way better movie. At least that's what I think.
0 Replies

Gouldy

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:53 am
A musical treat, but it's cheesyness killed some of the atmosohere. 75%
0 Replies