ANYBODY USING A MOBILE HOTSPOT

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:11 pm
Went up to the Wallymart in Calais yesterday and got some promo literature on a "mobile hotspot". Its 79 bucks for the router and then 45 bucks a month for 8 gig speed. If it works, Im gonna think about one and cancel my cable router which only has wireless in the house. Im writing this from a public library.
Is such a speed possible ? Ive only streame movies o my I pad in a Starbucks parking lot or any other place with wifi.
I don't wanna be one of those old farts who gives up their internet to go bumming around using public wifi spots. That's almost like being homeless.

But I a portable hotspot a good thing or am I still limited?
How about doing banking etc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,867 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:41 pm
@farmerman,
anybody?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:37 pm
@farmerman,
What is your limit per month for downloading? Streaming a couple of high def movies can quickly put you over a 2gig limit.
parados

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:40 pm
@farmerman,
Verizon 3G Hotspot on my phone gave me about 3mbs download the last time I used it.

This might give you some idea. Your speed will vary.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253808/3g_and_4g_wireless_speed_showdown_which_networks_are_fastest_.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:03 pm
@parados,
12 gigs. Downloading netflix on an ipad i probably the last thing Id use it for. I write a lot of reports and other stuff and, as one can readily note, I am a speller more in the OS Dave clade. I use DRagon and send my stuff to an assistant who converts and edits. we go back and forth about 3 or 4 drafts and then its off to the pub. or the client.

I download a lot of graphics and maps, but in a month that hardly spits over a gig.

Cloud features like portable xray data and modelling would add another 2 or 3 gigs. SO the Verizon package looks pretty good.

My netflix habit are managed by Mrs F (she likes all the english mysteries and I like Breaking Bad, when were on vacation in MAine we have thgose movies delivered by mail and , even up there, thge service is about 2 days tops (as long as our que is updated) We get 4 movies at a time so were happy with the way things are and , really, I HATE viewing movies on a tiny screen like an ipad or laptop. We keep a 32 incher at the camp and a32 incher in the RV .
0 Replies