Is this justice for Kenya or is it too late?

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:37 am
From the BBC website.

Quote:
The UK government is to express regret and announce compensation for thousands of Kenyans who were tortured during the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya in the 1950s.

Foreign Secretary William Hague is expected to announce compensation in the region of £14m ($20m).

More than 5,000 Kenyans say they were mistreated - some through torture - by the then-British administration.

The British fought a bitter battle with Mau Mau insurgents who were demanding land and an end to colonial rule.

Victims have been fighting for compensation from the UK government for a number of years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22790037

So does this finally close a rather grubby chapter of British imperialism, or is it too little too late? Obama's father was one of the victims, how much does that influence the decision?

Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Is this justice for Kenya or is it too late?

We cannot undo the past. This might be justice for some and not enough for those who are no longer with us. At least it's a step in the right direction.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 03:04 am
@Arjunakki,
I agree, it is a step in the right direction, and a need to confront the horrors of the past.
Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 10:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I agree, it is a step in the right direction, and a need to confront the horrors of the past.

It might be more justice to disallow white Brits to have jam for a year or two.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:15 pm
@Foofie,
You never miss an opportunity to show you haven't got a clue.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 01:49 pm
@Foofie,

izzythepush wrote:
I agree, it is a step in the right direction,
and a need to confront the horrors of the past.
Foofie wrote:
Explain how jam is significant ?
Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
@Foofie,

izzythepush wrote:
I agree, it is a step in the right direction,
and a need to confront the horrors of the past.
Foofie wrote:
Explain how jam is significant ?

Cool question. Just how is jam meaningful?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Foofie is condescending and dismissive of all things British.

He seems to think jam is of some significance to the British psyche, God only knows why.
roger

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 04:50 pm
@izzythepush,
I would have guessed marmalade.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 04:56 pm
@izzythepush,
we dont have the right to apologize for the actions of our fathers and grandfathers. those who do it anyways are full of themselves.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
we dont have the right to apologize for the actions of our fathers and grandfathers.
those who do it anyways are full of themselves.
I agree (except in regard to your choice against capitalizing the beginnings of sentences).

It does not make sense that anyone can apologize for what someone else did.

(If he were still around, he might ratify n re-affirm what he did.)

David
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's an acknowledgement that what was done was wrong, and there's also the compensation being paid to the victims.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Having said that, a few years ago I saw a local band and a local poet read out one of his works. I can still remember the first verse.

Ever since I was a little kid
I've had my hand on the jam jar lid.
Jam for dinner, jam for tea,
There was never quite enough jam for me.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 05:51 pm
@izzythepush,
If I were an Englishman, I 'd wanna know a lot more about what happened
on both sides before my taxes (my former property), the fruit of my labor, is given away to them.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's an acknowledgement that what was done was wrong, and there's also the compensation being paid to the victims.

if we keep this nonsense up children will be responsible for their parents financial debts too, even though they had nothing to do with there creation. you all might want to think through this theory "my fathers sins are my own".
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:04 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

if we keep this nonsense up children will be responsible for their parents financial debts too, even though they had nothing to do with there creation. you all might want to think through this theory "my fathers sins are my own" before you start running around mouthing "I am sorrys" to the offspring of everyone you think your forefathers wronged.

it is quite the niffty trick though of drumming up more victims to worship when the supply begins to run low, which is of course why we do it.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
" I care about the victims which proves that I am great" is sooo much better than going to a church and praying to a god when we feel the need for a boost.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Hawkeye raises an interesting point.
Shud u be held responsible for your father 's debts??
How about your uncle 's? Grandfather? Cousin ?
The guy across the street ?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
if David is a prince amoung men does that mean if he had a son he would be too?

I was under the impression that we did not believe that anymore, but maybe I am wrong.....
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
let me be very clear here.....I am not my father. if you want an appology go find him and see if you can get it because I dont speak for him. he died 25 years ago and was kind of a dick so you might start your search in Hell.

LEAVE ME OUT OF IT!
0 Replies