Generator connection question

sslee

Tue 4 Jun, 2013 06:38 am
I have a grinder pump (sewage pump) that is hardwired into my electrical system. The control system already has a 4-prong inlet attached (I assume for aux. power). If I attach a gas generator in the event of a power failure, do I need to throw the in-house circuit breakers or will I need some other electrical work? Thx, I want to get a general idea before calling an electrician to take a peak.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Tue 4 Jun, 2013 09:40 am
@sslee,
I presume the grinder has its own breaker. By all means Lee, shut it off lest you be powering anything else connected at its input side (whereupon becoming unnecessary to shut off the rest). Besides, what if house power should happen to come back on, gosh knows what might happen
0 Replies

gensetservices

Wed 14 Aug, 2013 01:09 am
@sslee,
If you have any problem with generator then you must consult to a good generator mechanic in your area.
0 Replies

Placid Carcass

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:23 am
@sslee,
If you want to do this legally and to code you would need to purchase a transfer switch. This would allow you to safely isolate all circuits from the generator circuit when regular power is present and vice versa in case regular power come back on. This way you avoid possible injury and a fireworks show.
0 Replies

bahtah

Sat 24 Aug, 2013 12:59 am
@sslee,
Since your Grinder Control Panel has an input receptacle for a generator I would first check to be sure there is a transfer switch as part of the panel. The generator cord body will be female and the panel input should be a recessed
male configuration. The male configuration on the panel should not have any power present and you should have to throw some type of switch or breaker arrangement on the panel to make connection to the generator and disconnect the connection to your house circuit. Sometimes this is two breakers with an
interlocking slide so that only one breaker can be on a a time, but it could be some other type of switch arrangement. If you open up the cabinet you should be able to see how it is arranged and there may be instructions inside the cover. In any case as mentioned the power from the generator cannot be allowed to back-feed into the homes electrical system as it will back-feed into the utility and someone could get injured. You generator feed will need to be 120/240 to supply the grinder.
0 Replies