• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,410 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 02:38 pm
@Miller,
The funeral will take place at Christ The King Church, 9235 South Hamilton
Chicago, Ill.

It's a sad thing that Father Greeley was never made a Pastor at his own Church and likewise, it is a sad thing that Father Greeley never received tenure at the University of Chicago.

I noticed on the website for Christ The King Church that it is Roman. I guess this means the language used for services is Latin and that Latin will be used for the funeral mass for Father Greeley.

Father Greeley spoke out against sexual abuse of young boys by Catholic priests.

But, I still wonder what Father Greeley thought about women Priests and the birth control issue.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 02:47 pm
@Miller,
I had a thread on him, here: http://able2know.org/topic/215434-1

there's a wiki link that was interesting to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Greeley
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 03:16 pm
He was probably a fine fellow and a dedicated priest. But he was also one of the worst writers of crime fiction to ever be published.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 03:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm not sure why I never read any of that, maybe I'd read reviews, but those don't always stop me. More likely, I never saw his work on the shelves of the smallish bookstores (or the very big ones, either) that I frequented. I've not been much of a chain book store person. But I did slightly read about him over the years and was somewhat curious about his views and actions.

When I say big book stores, I mean the city block type book stores, and one particular one in Long Beach, that you could spend days in.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:05 pm
I read some of his books, and I enjoyed them several years ago.
Miller

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:31 pm
@Miller,
Father Greeley lived in the John Hancock building ( 100 floors ), which according to their website is pretty pricey. A 3 bedroom on the 62th floor is now priced at $1.5 million with a $13,000 yearly tax.

This is a building that allows cats, but no dogs. There are coin operated washing machines, which really sounds strange to me. For a home worth $1.5 million, shouldn't every condo unit be equipped with their own washers and dryers?

Any how, if Father Greeley took a vow of poverty as a priest ( Jesuit ?) what was he doing, living in such an expensive residence?
0 Replies