Pope says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Vatican Backpedals

George

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
What 's a "Yooper" ?
Resident of Michigan's Upper Peninsula(U.P.).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
A Yooper is an American who lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Yoopers have a wonderful dialect and accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooper_dialect
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:42 pm
@George,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
If so, what good do u c ?

What you just wrote there, pronounced fonetically is "...what good do uck?" (or, more properly, 'ook')
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
and then there is the marvellous accent found on Tangiers Island

I'm so glad I was able to experience this one as well as the Yooper accent.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:42 am

New words from the Pope:

"If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge him?"

"We cannot limit the role of women in the Church to altar girls or the president of a charity; there must be more."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23489702
rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:58 am
@oralloy,
This guy is starting to make the catholic church look good again. Someone has to stop him Wink
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:05 pm
@rosborne979,
I'll second that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:09 pm
Anyone here remember David Peel and The Lower East Side?

(Produced by John Lennon and Yoko Ono)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:13 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
This guy is starting to make the catholic church look good again. Someone has to stop him Wink

If he continues like this, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the Vatican poisoned his tea, the way they did with John Paul I.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 07:51 am

The new Popemobile: A 20 year old car with 190,000 miles, that the Pope will drive himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24036965

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/pope-feature1.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2013 10:32 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
If he continues like this, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the Vatican poisoned his tea, the way they did with John Paul I.

It is certainly true that the new Pope is a bit odd.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 09:35 am
Quote:
Pope Francis, in the first extensive interview of his six-month-old papacy, said that the Roman Catholic church had grown "obsessed" with preaching about abortion, gay marriage and contraception, and that he has chosen not to speak of those issues despite recriminations from some critics.

In remarkably blunt language, Francis sought to set a new tone for the church, saying it should be a "home for all" and not a "small chapel" focused on doctrine, orthodoxy and a limited agenda of moral teachings.

"It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time," the pope told the Rev. Antonio Spadaro, a fellow Jesuit and editor in chief of La Civilta Cattolica, the Italian Jesuit journal whose content is routinely approved by the Vatican. "The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church's pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently.

"We have to find a new balance," the pope continued, "otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel."

The interview was conducted during three meetings in August in the pope's spartan quarters in Casa Santa Marta, the Vatican guesthouse. Francis has chosen to live there rather than in what he said were more isolated quarters at the Apostolic Palace, home to many of his predecessors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/world/europe/pope-bluntly-faults-churchs-focus-on-gays-and-abortion.html?pagewanted=all
spendius

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:50 am
@oralloy,
Edit previous post--A lot odd.

Has he been reading Billy Sunday?
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 03:23 pm
@engineer,
You must be a youngun. So many times in my life Pope JPII was misquoted by the NYT, on rape within marriage, evolution, etc. And Pope Francis famously scolded the press in Brazil for trying to put a obvious bad spin on what he was saying.

Huffington Post? Let's check this.
Here is a Catholic statement aimed at that actual HuffPo statement

https://www.catholicvote.org/what-pope-francis-really-said-about-atheists/

"Pope Francis did not say that an atheist who does naturally good things can be saved if he dies an atheist. Yet that is the impression given by Catholic Online’s half truth headline…

The Pope… simply reminded the faithful that there can be, and is, goodness, or natural virtue, outside the Church. And that Christ’s death on the Cross redeemed all men. He paid the price so that every man could come to God and be saved.

If Catholic Online is insinuating that Pope Francis has “reformed” the irreformable dogma, outside the Church there is no salvation, then that is shameful and disingenuous."
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 10:17 am
@engineer,
You did too. You want non-Catholics to think Vatican doesn't equal Pope.
There is only one ex cathedra or else what the Pope says is just another opinion. Quite dishonest. I hope this forum is not typified by people like you. Holy Smoke.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 11:38 am
@engineer,
Then there was no reason for Jesus to come into this world to redeem humanity . We can then pull ourselves up into Gods Holiness by our bootstraps.

To say people like the God hating new atheist Richard Dawkins have a free ticket into heaven, while mocking God is simply depraved blasphemy.

In my opinion and remember that is my right the Pope is an agent of Satan, who dresses like mother and wants to be called father.

The Vatican is a breading ground for pedophiles and to give credence to this evil entity is to alight yourself with Satan.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 09:11 am
@Alan McDougall,
I think you are an agent of Satan.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 5 May, 2017 01:08 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

It really is a remarkable statement for the Pope to make.

No real Christian would say that, it makes a mockery of Our Lords Sacrifice on the cross and it means that if Hitler at the end of his life had begun to do good things, this monster would have been redeemed. Not so he will burn in hell just as he deserves forever and forever and that makes my feel good, righteous justice out of the Mind and Power of the Almighty
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 May, 2017 01:26 am
@Alan McDougall,
Who are you to say what a real Christian is? Your bigotry makes a mockery of Christ's message of love thy neighbour.