Did Jesus Actually Exist?

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 08:40 pm
What it can be understood about this dude Jesus, is that before Moshe (Moses) the doctrinal teachings were passed orally from generation to generation.

Apparently it was in existence a former priesthood which was known as the Order of Melchizedek. One can read that Abraham gave to a priest of this Order his tithe.

When the Children of Israel migrated to Egypt, they stayed over there for more than 200 years. This is similar to comparing our current year with the years of Washington fighting for Independence.

So many generations, and the population became so great, that it was necessary to write the doctrinal teachings, in order to make them available for that bunch of people.

A new priesthood was created, and this was the Levitical priesthood.

But, this Levitical priesthood became corrupt, and it was in need to restore the ancient priesthood.

Here is when Jesus became so important. He was to take the leadership of the former Order of Melchizedek.

This happened, when the Levitical High Priest questioning Jesus, broke himself his sacerdotal clothes, something that he never ever should do.

The High Priest sacerdotal clothes were "reinforced" to maintain their integrity throughout generations. The breaking of the sacerdotal clothes became a sign of abdication, resignation, the drop off of that high position.

Who knows what caused the High Priest to brake his clothes knowing that doing so he was giving the authority to Jesus as the new High Priest, but probably was because he had no other choice.

For this reason, the followers of Jesus had the task of announcing the "good news", that the restoration took place.

All of this is just part of their doctrine. Many of the Israelites decided to ignore it, while the others not only accepted it but shared it with pagans.

So, the historical Jesus is more than assumed miracles, parables and resurrection from the dead. The second part of this doctrinal belief, is telling us that there is a new High Priest for the descendants of Israel (Jacob) who is somewhere -I guess he still hiding behind the clouds- and apparently will come back again, at this time with an iron rod.

I guess that for that futuristic era "democracy" will be over, because he will be like the former kings designating the new authorities pointing with his finger.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 06:21 am
@carloslebaron,
Amusing. You have a fertile imagination.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 01:22 pm
science in action

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/mummy-mask-may-reveal-oldest-known-gospel-n289006
Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 05:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Amazing...
Olivier5

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 07:03 am
@Olivier5,
Actually, this could be anti-science at work. The story has been rumored for years now, with publication delayed again and again, and the people involved have behaved like secretive con artists rather than communicating transparently. There are plenty of issue about the provenance of the mask, and whether destroying artifacts to get at the papyri feagments is ethical. Apparently not when done by amateurs... as seems to be the case here.

There has been a surge in fake papyri on the market of late. Eg the 'Jesus wife' papyrus is now believed by most scholars to be a forgery.

Also, carbon dating gives you a precision of about +or- 60 years when applied to antiquity. Dating this new mysterious papyrus (never published, never shown to anyone beyond a handful of people, not even in picture form) to the first century must be based on caligraphy. But even that dating process has never been explained.

Fishy at best.

https://facesandvoices.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/new-testament-papyri-from-mummy-cartonnage-accounts-dont-balance/

https://facesandvoices.wordpress.com/2014/11/25/mark-strikes-back-mummy-cartonnage-and-christian-apologetics-again/

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 03:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5.

That dinosaurs were warm blood animals was known decades before the releasing of the information. But, the release took that long because several tests and studies were needed to come out as a solid and verifiable news.

What many people don't know, is that for some reason, in different parts of the world, dinosaurs layered eggs like crazy before their assumed "extinction". This is something that can be found in certain publications only.

As you can notice, the release of information is not solely subjected to tests and studies, but also to the common benefit. This is to say, how different can be the first century gospel of Mark compared with the gospel read today in base of a third century copy.

If the difference are not only textual but doctrinal can cause great satisfaction or discrepancy in the religious world.

There are many aspects involved in this kind of release of information, and when you don't have the control then you have no other choice but waiting.

The "good news" might be the additional source finding "Jesus" again as a historical figure.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 04:32 pm
@carloslebaron,
That's fine, but then don't announce your finding until you are confident that it is solid. This all looks very commercial to me: exclusivity agreements, mouth-watering advertisement waaaaay ahead of release (what, a new I-phone?), a total lack of transparency about who is associated with the project or even whom these masks belong to... This in my view is not about science. It is either about preaching, glory and/or money. Not knowledge.
carloslebaron

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 08:22 pm
@Olivier5,
What I think is that they have released their early findings and method of obtaining them, in order to have the credit, because leaks happen, and someone else can noticed it and go to the press before the real discoverers.

From here, every other one finding similar writings using similar or different methods will be just followers, the credit of this kind of findings has an "owner" already.

It is understood that there are some historical records which can be more important than others. In this case, the papyrus with ancient writings are becoming of much interest by most historians and religious people.

You might call anti-science the destruction of ancient mummy's coverings, however, there is a discussion in another topic in these forums pointing that history is not science and vice versa. The purpose of their investigation is historical.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 07:29 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:
From here, every other one finding similar writings using similar or different methods will be just followers, the credit of this kind of findings has an "owner" already.

Greco-Egyptians used this sort of papier collé for sarcophagi, funerary masks, but also more mundane things, e.g. to fill a hole in the wall. The technique of accessing papyri within cartonnages has been practiced for more than a century. The right way to do it is to start with a study of the cartonnage itself, its provenance, technique employed, use, etc. and then take off the papyri without destroying the artifact, as done by these Fins in 87;

http://www.helsinki.fi/hum/kla/papupetra/papyrus/cartonnage.html

Quote:
It is understood that there are some historical records which can be more important than others. In this case, the papyrus with ancient writings are becoming of much interest by most historians and religious people.

I understand that there are so far 0 fragment of the gospels from the 1st century, and hundreds of funerary or other ancient pieces of cartonnage out there on a legit basis, and perhaps many more on the black market, from loots including from the Cairo Museum which was looted during the upheaval in 2011. So as of today, a gospel fragment is seen as more valuable than the mask it's taken from. But if tomorrow we find a dozen fragments from, say, 50-80 CE, this sort of papyri will become much less valuable. It's best to conserve whatever we can.

I am concerned that this could set the wrong example. These authors are almost encouraging others to follow suit: they are saying it's so easy to do with water and palmolive soap [sic]: you just dissolve the whole mask and bingo! St Mark may be hiding in the mask! Many amateur Indiana Jones are going to follow their bad example, i fear.

Quote:
You might call anti-science the destruction of ancient mummy's coverings, however, there is a discussion in another topic in these forums pointing that history is not science and vice versa. The purpose of their investigation is historical.

Science tries to conserve / retrieve the maximum info from stuff. They are better, more effective, more scientific and more respectful ways than palmolive soap to analyse a 2 thousand year old artifact.
carloslebaron

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:32 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Greco-Egyptians used this sort of papier collé for sarcophagi, funerary masks, but also more mundane things, e.g. to fill a hole in the wall. The technique of accessing papyri within cartonnages has been practiced for more than a century. The right way to do it is to start with a study of the cartonnage itself, its provenance, technique employed, use, etc. and then take off the papyri without destroying the artifact, as done by these Fins in 87;

Conserving ancient artifacts is not part of science but the duty of history. History can use scientific techniques and science finds historical records useful for testing. Both are related, however, they are independent at the moment of deciding what is important and what is not.

Quote:
I understand that there are so far 0 fragment of the gospels from the 1st century, and hundreds of funerary or other ancient pieces of cartonnage out there on a legit basis, and perhaps many more on the black market, from loots including from the Cairo Museum which was looted during the upheaval in 2011. So as of today, a gospel fragment is seen as more valuable than the mask it's taken from. But if tomorrow we find a dozen fragments from, say, 50-80 CE, this sort of papyri will become much less valuable. It's best to conserve whatever we can.

I am concerned that this could set the wrong example. These authors are almost encouraging others to follow suit: they are saying it's so easy to do with water and palmolive soap [sic]: you just dissolve the whole mask and bingo! St Mark may be hiding in the mask! Many amateur Indiana Jones are going to follow their bad example, i fear.

One can say that in the museums of Germany and UK there are more mummies and golden ancient figures of the Incan empire than the same figures found in the museums of Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador all together. If not "looting", how in the world this has happened?

Please don't tell me that some looters are legal and that the rest are not.

Conserving historical records is a duty, but giving them irrational value is laughable. How in the world an ancient stone with unknown carved drawings can reach thousands and thousands of dollars?

The ancient man who made the drawings probably was drunk, playing around, or trying to give some important information. Whatever the reason was, there is a kind of business doing silly appraisals for an old piece of stone. The black market takes advantage of these ridiculous prices and gives affordable prices and ways to obtain the relics that are accepted by most people.

People have the choice to decide what to obtain from their relics, or keeping the ancient mask intact or looking for ancient writings.

Quote:
Science tries to conserve / retrieve the maximum info from stuff. They are better, more effective, more scientific and more respectful ways than palmolive soap to analyse a 2 thousand year old artifact.

I kind of disagree with your last point. I saw brand new Mercedes Benz destroyed completely in accident simulations just for checking their safety. And all the car manufacturers do the same, destroying in order to obtain safety data, and this is science.

Historians won't allow the same scientists to take and old Ford model T to be destroyed while testing its "safety" in an accident simulation... in order to be compared with modern cars.

If historians are not around, for sure scientists will do it.

The point here with the papyrus of the funeral masks, is that we have a new possibility of obtaining more data of the biblical New Testament, and probably more information about this historical Jesus.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 10:26 am
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
Conserving ancient artifacts is not part of science but the duty of history.

I see no reason to make a distinction between history and other sciences. To me, history IS a science. And it has like any science the duty to preserve the capacity of future generations to study these old artifacts. Ever heard of 'First, do no harm'?

Quote:
One can say that in the museums of Germany and UK there are more mummies and golden ancient figures of the Incan empire than the same figures found in the museums of Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador all together. If not "looting", how in the world this has happened?

Laws changed. It's not legal anymore.

Quote:
The point here with the papyrus of the funeral masks, is that we have a new possibility of obtaining more data of the biblical New Testament, and probably more information about this historical Jesus.

Let's hope so. I am not holding my breath on the historical Jesus angle. What more can another fragment of Mark tell us about him? Dating (and possibly philology if the fragment has a different text than the one we know) of that gospel would be more interesting angles.
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 07:15 pm
I think the bible was written decades after Jesus existed based off of conflicted oral accounts messed with call to arms refuted by a martyr.
Ethels

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 01:00 am
I think the final answer is not important.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:25 am
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

I think the bible was written decades after Jesus existed based off of conflicted oral accounts

That's correct.

Quote:
messed with call to arms refuted by a martyr.

That sounds incorrect.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:29 am
@Ethels,
It is as important as whether or not Socrates existed, or Shakespeare or whoever. The point has HISTORICAL importance. Of course, from a literary or philosophic point of view, it does not really matter, because what matters in such perspectives are the resulting body of work: the plays, the gospels, etc.
FBM

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:33 am
@Olivier5,
I think it's important to many millions of faithful and the people who live lives of ease due to the quantity of their faith (read: donations).
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:37 am
@FBM,
Yes, it's important to the faithful as well. Sorry for forgetting them...

Edit: And it is also a mighty important issue for some non-believers, mind you, who love to rattle the chain of believers with their canard that Jesus did not exist.
timur

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:27 am
@Olivier5,
As you do with the canard that Jesus existed..

You have no real proof that Jesus existed but you always bring up that crap of yours..
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:29 am
@Olivier5,
Maybe so, but if you put those two on a balancing beam...
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 08:03 am
@FBM,
They could have a lot of fun... But the truth is not the sum total of all biases.