Did Jesus Actually Exist?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 08:00 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's no need to get snotty. Is it this guy? Are you this guy? (Younger obviously)
http://cdnph.upi.com/collection/fp/upi/5376/9bb305f6c28b23f4d1afdccc4d56fd22/Famous-Scientologists_4_1.jpg

I am not getting snotty...I just do not understand what you were talking about.

And that definitely is not me in that picture. Have no idea of who it is.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 03:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
You've only got yourself to blame, if only you constantly and repetitively said that you were completely agnostic on pretty much everything, people wouldn't get the wrong idea.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 05:27 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You've only got yourself to blame, if only you constantly and repetitively said that you were completely agnostic on pretty much everything, people wouldn't get the wrong idea.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRtFV8eRsRSCV4KAGQjwAmDvIC26Eb0q5fnZ_nsVA4PaQvVgCm
Olivier5

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 05:37 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
In particular, I disagree that the evangelists are trustworthy witnesses to anything.

Why?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 05:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's called irony Frank.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 05:56 am
@izzythepush,
Frank is actually a giant blue carrot.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 06:08 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Frank is actually a giant blue carrot.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNJJE_F5lS-i5iNdY3iV_IUg5DaMEz5GQQtJUStRyHSuadmoHD
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 08:25 am
The "myth" of Jesus started here

http://www.come-and-hear.com/sanhedrin/sanhedrin_43.html

Quote:

AND A HERALD PRECEDES HIM etc. This implies, only immediately before [the execution], but not previous thereto.33 [In contradiction to this] it was taught: On the eve of the Passover Yeshu34 was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostacy. Any one who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was hanged on the eve of the Passover!35 — Ulla retorted: 'Do you suppose that he was one for whom a defence

Dilling Exhibit 47
Begins
could be made? Was he not a Mesith [enticer], concerning whom Scripture says, Neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him?36 With Yeshu however it was different, for he was connected with the government [or royalty, i.e., influential].'

♪...cosa buena.....♪..... ehhh Macarena....♪......
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 09:51 am
@Olivier5,
Thomas wrote:
In particular, I disagree that the evangelists are trustworthy witnesses to anything.

Olivier5 wrote:
Why?

Because much of the evangelists' testimony cannot possibly be true, being inconsistent with the laws of nature. We know the evangelists were dishonest or incompetent about at least some of the 'facts' they alleged. Therefore, I think, all their testimony is untrustworthy, including the parts that we don't know to be untrue.
chai2

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 02:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hey Frank, I had no idea who those people were either. I right clicked on the image and did a google search.

The guy in the hat, is apparantly in a show called My Name is Earl. They didn't give the name as I guess everyone is suppossed to know who that is. No clue.

The 2nd huge photo. It says it's someone name Jim Logan. Again, no idea.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 02:51 pm
@chai2,
I just googled scientologists images and found a couple who look like Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 02:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Hey Frank, I had no idea who those people were either. I right clicked on the image and did a google search.

The guy in the hat, is apparantly in a show called My Name is Earl. They didn't give the name as I guess everyone is suppossed to know who that is. No clue.

The 2nd huge photo. It says it's someone name Jim Logan. Again, no idea.

I did not even bother. Not sure what it had to do with Scientology.

I think Izzy was trying to make a point...but I have not figured out what it was.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 08:04 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Because much of the evangelists' testimony cannot possibly be true, being inconsistent with the laws of nature.

That's not true. Most of the gospels is about perfectly natural things, like preaching. Even the healing part is not that supernatural. There are people who heal some skin diseases by what looks like "magic" but is in fact similar to the placebo effect, or in J's words: "your faith has healed you". So it's only the big, infrequent miracles that are impossible.

Quote:
We know the evangelists were dishonest or incompetent about at least some of the 'facts' they alleged. Therefore, I think, all their testimony is untrustworthy, including the parts that we don't know to be untrue.

No, we don't "know" that. We have no reason to assume bad faith. They most probably believed in what they wrote and tried to get it right.

And more or less they did, in the sense that a certain body of philosophy and ethics was passed down to us thanks to their work. They got many parables right. We know that because these appear in different gospels written at different places and times and for different sects or audiences. Eg the non-canonical (gnostic) gospel of your homonym Thomas was never touched by the Catholic Church, and yet it does include many of the same parables we know of from the canonic gospels.
Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 08:27 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Because much of the evangelists' testimony cannot possibly be true, being inconsistent with the laws of nature.

That's not true. Most of the gospels is about perfectly natural things, like preaching. Even the healing part is not that supernatural.

The healing part where corpses get revived is most definitely supernatural. But once again, you did not pay attention. I did not say "most", I said "much".

Thomas wrote:
We know the evangelists were dishonest or incompetent about at least some of the 'facts' they alleged. Therefore, I think, all their testimony is untrustworthy, including the parts that we don't know to be untrue.

Olivier5 wrote:
No, we don't "know" that. We have no reason to assume bad faith.

No, but it's one possible explanation. The other possibility I suggested was incompetence, which does not imply bad faith.

Olivier5 wrote:
And more or less they did, in the sense that a certain body of philosophy and ethics was passed down to us thanks to their work.

I don't see how passing down a body of philosophy has anything to do with being trustworthy about facts. Ayn Rand passed down "a certain body of ethics and philosophy", but this doesn't change that John Galt and Harold Roark are fictitious characters. If you want to believe in the philosophy that the gospels promulgate, that is your choice as a Christian. But that has nothing to do with believing the facts in the gospels, or with the trustworthiness of the evangelists who testified to them. Besides, Matthew and Luke back each other up on the virgin birth. So we know that the backing-up does not indicate veracity.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:00 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
But once again, you did not pay attention while you were reading. I did not say "most", I said "much".

Define "much"... Smile

Ancient texts often mix reality and fiction, especially when written by believers. And back then atheists were not that numerous. So when you read the Iliad, you learn that the following deities intervened at some point or another:

Deities in the Iliad

A
Aphrodite
Apollo
Ares
Artemis
Athena
E
Eris (mythology)
H
Hades
Hephaestus
Hera
Hermes
I
Iris (mythology)
P
Poseidon
Proteus
T
Thalia (Nereid)
Thetis
Z
Zeus

I suppose that qualifies as "much"... Does that mean we cannot trust the Iliad at all, and that Troy is therefore a myth?

Quote:
The other possibility I suggested was incompetence, which does not imply bad faith.

I concede that the evangelists were not competent historians, certainly not by today's standard and probably not even by classic antiquity standards. But that was only one part of their job. The other part was to convince, to impress, to convert, and this apologetic mission helps understand their biases.

Quote:
I don't see how passing down a body of philosophy has anything to do with being trustworthy about facts.

That's an easy one: the text or ideas you pass down must represent the original thoughts accurately. Ideas are also facts, if you will. One can lie about the ideas and positions of, say, a given scholar, or one can represent them factually and honestly.
Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:13 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Deities in the Iliad

I don't believe in any of those, either.

Olivier5 wrote:
I suppose that qualifies as "much"... Does that mean we cannot trust the Iliad at all, and that Troy is therefore a myth?

Yes, I that's exactly what it means. There may or may not have been a city of Troy in Homeric times, and it may or may not be the city that Heinrich Schliemann excavated and called Troy in the 19th century. So to answer your question, yes the Homeric Troy is a myth, and no the Illiad is not a trustworthy source for establishing its existence.

Olivier5 wrote:
Ideas are also facts, if you will.

I don't. That's wishful thinking.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
When I said a couple who looked like Frank, I didn't mean an actual couple, I meant two separate individuals. This is a couple who look like Frank, (don't think they're scientologists though.)

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2012/12/12/14/enhanced-buzz-wide-18287-1355339780-3.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:45 am
@izzythepush,
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_4pWVcSsioeqXiOaD_5I6wKDosSaPVY2IUpgxILBiNt8kkoO68A
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 12:05 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
There may or may not have been a city of Troy in Homeric times, and it may or may not be the city that Heinrich Schliemann excavated and called Troy in the 19th century. So to answer your question, yes the Homeric Troy is a myth, and no the Illiad is not a trustworthy source for establishing its existence.

I would say that this text is part of a set of evidence (including in this case archeological evidence) that points to the historical existence of Troy. Maybe our difference is semantic, maybe I just tend to trust old legends too much. Smile

In any case, the larger point is that many texts we have got from antiquity, probably most of them, contain super-natural elements. Should we throw them all away as tales?

Quote:
I don't. That's wishful thinking.

When ideas are publicly expressed, that expression is an objective fact. Isn't it a fact that JFK said: "Ich bin ein Berliner" in a speech on June 26, 1963?

Any biographer saying that he never pronounced these words above but shouted instead: "Ich bin ein Zoolander" would be stating something that is factually and objectively false.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 12:19 pm
@Olivier5,
You just argue for the hell of it, don't you? It makes no difference to you whether what you say makes any sense or not. You're getting awfully boring. (This from someone who generally agreed with you earlier on before you started to spout horse manure.)