Did Jesus Actually Exist?

BillRM

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:44 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Bill, at least take into consideration that Jesus was a real person who was turned into a fictional symbol.

As I had already stated the Christian Jesus may have small elements of a once living person or none at all.

As a guess I would say that odds are around 50/50 that the writers base some elements of the Christian Jesus on some Jewish cult leader or a combination of Jewish cult leaders for that matter.

No way of knowing unless we get a time machine in working order.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:49 pm
@BillRM,
Bill,

Here's your evidence.

Jesus was doing magic tricks.

Magic tricks!

It's based on a real person.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 01:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

So your answer to the actual question is:

I do not know!

You shoulda just said that right out.

Exactly, and now he's pretending that's what he did say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:36 am
Once again, the question here is whether or not "Jesus" existed, and a soon as one says Jesus, the question is freighted with all the baggage that comes with that name for contemporary society. The question has never been qualified by what people are prepared to believe here and now in this discussion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:40 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Whoever might have existed at that time is undoubtedly so far removed from how modern mythology has painted him that for all intents and purposes the answer is, no, he did not exist.

Roswell's comment from page one is worth repeating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Questions like this are goofy. I know of no reliable, historical evidence that the boy existed. That doesn't matter. What mattes is that people believe he did, and believe a whole truckload of dubious **** on that basis.

This is my initial comment. I agree with MA that Finn's claim that "virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed" is completely unwarranted. In fact, it's bullsh*t.
Krumple

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:54 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:
Id just remind everyone that there is a drastic difference as far as legitimizing either of their existences. The thing is George Washington was written about from multiple sources. Not to mention the coroner interning his body and writing about it in a book. The entire experience was enough to fill a book. Jesus does not have multiple sources which is even more bizarre since a man walking around healing the sick and doing miraculous things surely should have ended up in another source. Sure illiteracy was common back then but there had to be scribes of challenging religious views during his time that would have at least written something about a "magical" man. The ONLY source is the bible and it's credibility is suspect.

Such is a good point, Yeshu (Jesus) wasn't a person of relevance to the point of being noticed by others than the ones around him. He walked with a group of men, not so an army. He didn't buy lands or acquired richness.

Authorities might have heard rumors about him as another sorcerer, but was not worthy to be taken seriously by them.

Only for a small number of the Jewish population, Yeshu became a reformist, who told them to restore the former way of worshiping their god and to take care of their neighbor (love their god and their neighbor)

But, the Jewish religious authorities felt attacked by this man, and they decided to test his claims as the son of their god.

Here is when, Yeshu was taken to the Sanhedrin, and this kind of court case was recorded. This man Yeshu was sentenced to death to be fulfilled on the eve of Passover.

While the charges should have been "blasphemy" because Yeshu was claiming to be the son of their god and possibly to replace their god, in the records the charges are"apostasy" which is a more convenient reason for sending to death a person, in base of the words of Moses in Deuteronomy 13, and avoid people repeating that he was the son of their god.

Here is when you have another source that this man existed: Tractate Sanhedrin 43a.

There are other aspects of the bible that contradict the notion that Jesus believed he was special or god or the son of god or a unique prophet. Just before he was going to his final moments he was pleading with god and asking why he had been forsaken. Now this doesn't make any sense if he knew he was on a special mission to save mankind.

A person who knew they had a destiny that would save the souls of every man woman and child wouldn't plead to their god asking why they are being punished or sentence to death. It makes no sense. So the existence of this scenario in the bible already puts Jesus into a position where he had no idea who he was or that he was anything special.

There are of course other passages that also point to Jesus not thinking of himself as anything any more special than any other person. But these lines are usually and typically glossed over because the whole premise of christianity is built upon Jesus being a significant super human who had a destiny to fulfill. If he was just an ordinary person who had some great wisdom to share then christianity loses it's fluff and security blanket.
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 04:39 am
@Krumple,
The problem here is from what we know and can know you can not separate any human religion leader that might had existed from the myths of him being a demigod.

For the hundred and one time if there was a tiny seed of a once living human being bury in the myths of supernatural godhood it does not matter as it is the myths that everyone think of when referring to a Jesus not some minor religion leader of the time period.

If there was once a super strong human by the name of Hercules that some created writers build myths around so what?

It the myths of Hercules a demigod that is important with or without some strong human being the seed for the myths and it is the myths of a Jesus not any real person that might had existed bearing the name that is important.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 05:34 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Trying to find a "real Jesus" from the bible is similar to trying to find a real person in a King novel even if he had base a character on a real person or persons he knew and added in real places for that matter.

The same thing or worse can be said for Thales. Try and be more objective and less obsessed by the particular case at hand. History is important, at least to historians, and trying to shed light onto historical characters is important business to them, whether it's for Thales or for Jesus or anybody else. You are not qualified to say how much can be deducted from the texts we have.

I haven't found ONE SINGLE CURRENT SCHOLAR who doubts the existence of a historical figure behind the Jesus character. Go ahead, try and find one.

The idea that a significant doubt remains on whether there was such a man or not, THAT IDEA IS A TOTAL MYTH, a popular superstition. You are peddling superstition, Bill.
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 05:50 am
@Olivier5,
Nonsense as far as Thales is concern who information about him did not come to us by way of a superstition cult who added in all manner of superpowers to the man as they did to the Jesus figure.

Instead our knowledge come by way of some of the greatest thinkers of the ancient world that would have zero motivation to created Thales out of whole cloth if he did not existed.

As far as your claims that a real person by the name of Jesus is universally accepted by "experts" you got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory#Christopher_Hitchens

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:05 am
@BillRM,
Hitchens was a journalist. I spoke of scholars, not plumbers or dental practice assistants... By that I mean scientists, historians specialized on the era. I would love to read the argument of a well-qualified historian doubting that a Jesus man existed. So if you know of one such historian, pray tell.
carloslebaron

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 09:18 am
@Krumple

Quote:
There are other aspects of the bible that contradict the notion that Jesus believed he was special or god or the son of god or a unique prophet. Just before he was going to his final moments he was pleading with god and asking why he had been forsaken. Now this doesn't make any sense if he knew he was on a special mission to save mankind.

A person who knew they had a destiny that would save the souls of every man woman and child wouldn't plead to their god asking why they are being punished or sentence to death. It makes no sense. So the existence of this scenario in the bible already puts Jesus into a position where he had no idea who he was or that he was anything special.

There are of course other passages that also point to Jesus not thinking of himself as anything any more special than any other person. But these lines are usually and typically glossed over because the whole premise of christianity is built upon Jesus being a significant super human who had a destiny to fulfill. If he was just an ordinary person who had some great wisdom to share then christianity loses it's fluff and security blanket.

The correlated scenario of the old prophecies and visions to be fulfilled by Yeshu (Jesus) is what that phrase is about.

Reading the relates about Yeshu, he seems to identify himself with the old prophecies about a messiah. The phrase ... why have you forsaken me? is the first words of Psalm 22.

You might find a similitude between the narration of Psalm 22 with the narration of the Gospels about his suffering, the "nailing of hands and feet", when he was thirsty, the mockery from others, his clothes etc. of Yeshu in his last day.

Here a partial copy of Psalm 22:

Quote:
Psalm 22 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 22

For the director of music. To the tune of “The Doe of the Morning.” A psalm of David

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from my cries of anguish?

2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, but I find no rest.

3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the one Israel praises.

4 In you our ancestors put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.

5 To you they cried out and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

6 But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.

7 All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads.

8 “He trusts in the Lord,” they say,
“let the Lord rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him.”

9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.

10 From birth I was cast on you;
from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.

12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.

13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
open their mouths wide against me.

14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.

My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted within me.

15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.

16 Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce my hands and my feet.

17 All my bones are on display;
people stare and gloat over me.

18 They divide my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.

19 But you, Lord, do not be far from me.
You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver me from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.

21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
save me from the horns of the wild oxen.

22 I will declare your name to my people;
in the assembly I will praise you.

23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!

24 For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help....

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:18 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is my initial comment. I agree with MA that Finn's claim that "virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed" is completely unwarranted. In fact, it's bullsh*t.

Should we take your word for it, or is there some evidence to back your BS?
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:27 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I spoke of scholars,

LOL anybody who does not buy into the likelihood of a real person being behind the Jesus myth is not a scholar by your light and that link gave one hell of a lot more experts then Hitchens who question a real person being behind the Jesus myths.

I am coming to the conclusion that you are irrational on this subject and one can only wonder what is behind that irrationality as no one given the almost complete lack of solid proof can say for sure that there was such a person including scholars.
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:30 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Should we take your word for it, or is there some evidence to back your BS?

I love how you make crazy claims and when challenge ask the challenger to prove that your statements are no where near the truth.

You are the one that made the below statement so it is your job to back up that statement.

Quote:
"virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed"
i
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:38 am
@BillRM,
I'm rationally looking at the data and at the scientific consensus, and I agree with the scientific consensus. Just like for global warming, which you also happen to doubt or deny...
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:49 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I'm rationally looking at the data and at the scientific consensus, and I agree with the scientific consensus. Just like for global warming, which you also happen to doubt or deny...

OK back that statement up with links to polls ETC of scientists and scholars that there is a consensus that Jesus was base on a real person.

Good luck on doing so as there is no such consensus as far as I am aware of but I am looking forward to you proving me wrong....LOL

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:54 am
@BillRM,
I have looked for scientists who would doubt the historicity of Jesus and haven't been able to find one. If you ever find one, pray tell. Every source I look at says: all historians agree that some dude existed.

The thesis that he was a total invention is dead. It's a old myth, a superstition.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
You've gotta admit though, it is fun being presented all sorts of data in this discussion.
Eg--Has that ossuary from the 1st century been debunked or confirmed?
Its the one which contained an inscription that the contents were of:
"James, son of Joseph and brother of Jesus" (Anglicized versions of the names). Itd be net to send this to Svante Paabo

They've found an ossuary that contained the remains of Caiphas (who condemned jesus)
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:05 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Eg--Has that ossuary from the 1st century been debunked or confirmed?

Off hand I think it have been debunked but I will need to look it up to be sure.
0 Replies