Did Jesus Actually Exist?

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 02:16 pm
@chai2,
Your Ex was obviously a heretic, and no religious scholar.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 05:06 am
This thread was resuscitated? Fitting, I suppose.

Anybody found a modern scholar of antiquity who disagrees that Jesus existed?
FBM

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 05:41 am
@Olivier5,
The thread was resurrected, but I think it took more than three daze...
Olivier5

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 05:54 am
@FBM,
Resurrected, right. Smile Thanks for the clue.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 03:39 pm
@FBM,
Necromancy is a powerful tool in the webz... Mr. Green
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 06:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You got that right. Most of the deniers here have been resurrecting theories long abandoned by serious scholars.
Krumple

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 04:54 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You got that right. Most of the deniers here have been resurrecting theories long abandoned by serious scholars.

Why should we let all the serious scholars have all the fun? Besides they may be serious scholars but what makes them an absolute authority? Are you saying a serious scholar is never wrong?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 06:08 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Besides they may be serious scholars but what makes them an absolute authority? Are you saying a serious scholar is never wrong?

Nobody is an absolute authority, but I for one will take a well informed and cogent opinion more seriously than that of someone who never gave much thought to an issue and never studied the facts.
Krumple

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 10:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Besides they may be serious scholars but what makes them an absolute authority? Are you saying a serious scholar is never wrong?

Nobody is an absolute authority, but I for one will take a well informed and cogent opinion more seriously than that of someone who never gave much thought to an issue and never studied the facts.

Okay but sometimes a person who hasn't been over washed in a subject can occasionally have a perspective that has never been considered before. I don't discount them even though they might be idiots.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 05:04 am
@Krumple,
I'm okay with new perspectives. What I wrote about is people who clinch to long-disproven theories, like the people who think the earth is flat.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Probably. When Jews, Christians, and Muslims all agree on something, take it to the bank. Smile
0 Replies

tlatoanitzin

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:17 pm
If Pilatus and Herodes, public figures, were confirmed to exist, based on archaeological findings besides the bible, why can't we confirm that Jesus and John the baptist existed, based on historical writings in the bible. After all they were not public figures as Pilatus, Herodes .
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 06:04 am
It would be really weird if it was just a mythical guy that the world decided to base their calendar starting date on and people are still talking about 2000+ years later. Man, did he get more than his 15 minutes of fame!
FBM

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:09 am
@Leadfoot,
a) argumentum ad populum fallacy.

b) "the world" didn't decide on the calendar. Just a few politically powerful people did, and the rest of the countries followed suit for self-preservation (from the Roman Empire), geopolitical and economic reasons, not out of a belief that Jeeebus was the son of an invisible god.

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:35 am
@FBM,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
a) argumentum ad populum fallacy.

b) "the world" didn't decide on the calendar. Just a few politically powerful people did, and the rest of the countries followed suit for self-preservation (from the Roman Empire), geopolitical and economic reasons, not out of a belief that Jeeebus was the son of an invisible god.

First you say it was popular then you say a few politically powerful people. Whatever. But you're still talk'n about the dude aren't ya...

Let me guess, you like CE better than AD, right?
FBM

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:46 am
@Leadfoot,
I like evidence-based reasoning better than red herrings or other logical fallacies. Are you capable of that with regards to your religious convictions?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:50 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I like evidence-based reasoning better than red herrings or other logical fallacies. Are you capable of that with regards to your religious convictions?

Normally, until sacrifice season comes along and then there's no stopping me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:58 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Okay...here is some "evidence based reasoning."

It is EVIDENT that humans do not yet have an understanding of what the true nature of the REALITY of existence is.

We have no idea of whether there are gods or not. We have no idea if there are sentient beings so powerful...that they, as non-gods, could actually CREATE an entire universe (something that would fit in a small vial in their REALITY)...and it is POSSIBLE that our universe is such an entity.

And it is POSSIBLE that these "creator beings" could have built in things like "prophets" or peer-gods of some sort.

This nonsense that atheists have some sort of lock on what is happening...or that main-stream atheistic positioning is based in reason, logic, and science...is an absurdity. A laughable absurdity.

Atheism, like its mirror counterpart, theism...is guessing gone ape.

The true nature of the REALITY of existence seems hidden from us...and I see no reason to expect that cloud to part any time soon.

But for atheists to feel superiority over theists...is irrational. Both are making unreasonable guesses about the unknown.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

FBM wrote:

Normally, until sacrifice season comes along and then there's no stopping me.

Well, that's commendable in religious circles.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:00 am
@FBM,
the Big Bang and many other scientifically arrived at theories are logical fallacies. And don't even mention stuff like quantum physics. It's practically dripping with them.

If you wish to avoid all logical fallacies you had better stick to sports. Science will not help you there.