puppy only eats human food?

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 12:31 pm
He is an 8 week old beagle. We've tried giving him several different types of puppy food (most recently we tried Taste of the Wild-spat it right out) and puppy treats but he refuses to eat them. Finally, we tried giving him some cooked chicken with carrots and a side of a boiled egg and he ate all of it. My concern is that he won't get all of his nutrients by eating our home cooked meals, though. So what should I do?

jespah

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 01:15 pm
@PinkLipstick,
It is possible to cook for dogs, although you might not want to do that for the next 15 years or so. Have you tried contacting the breeder, and finding out what he ate there?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 01:23 pm
@PinkLipstick,
One way to get a picky eater dog to eat their dog food is to add a spoonful of olive oil to the dry mix. Or you can add wet canned food to the dry and not give him just dry kibble.

Do you add a little warm water to his dry food? Makes a quasi gravy that might help the pup's mouth water and realize that he's actually hungry.
PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 04:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've tried adding water to his food but he still didn't eat it ='( I tried putting chicken bits on top of his kibble and he only ate the top layer of chicken and didn't eat the chicken that touched the kibble.
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 06:47 pm
@PinkLipstick,
We had a pet Border Collie that was a picky eater. I had an employee who worked in the labs at ALPO tell me that you can always make a dog eat by dumping garlic powder on the food and mixing in some vitamin B in its water
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:06 pm
@PinkLipstick,
My family had steak with a side of carrots and peas today and I saw the puppy was excited so I tried giving him his puppy food and he lifted his nose up and refused to eat it. So we tried giving him a steak with carrots and peas and he ate it all up!
jespah

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 05:54 am
@PinkLipstick,
You are rewarding him for this behavior.

Have you spoken with the breeder yet? He obviously ate before you got him.
PinkLipstick

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 08:01 am
@jespah,
They gave him homemade food. Also, I've tried being strict by refusing to give him human food, just puppy food. He didn't eat for 3 days until I finally gave in and gave him some human food ( he was starving!).

I've tried the following:

mixing puppy food with water
mixing puppy food with human food
putting puppy food in different sized bowls
putting puppy food on floor
taking away puppy food if he does not eat
leaving puppy food in bowl all day
trying different brands of puppy food
trying puppy treats
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 09:40 am
Withhold all food except the dog food you chose to give him. He'll eat it eventually. He's a dog, after all.
thedentalimplant

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 03:38 am
@PinkLipstick,
It is a custom to serve dogs with pedigree varieties. But, eating cooked food and human food are never harmful for puppies or adult dogs except the food are not spicy and have ingredients harmful for them. You can go ahead with these but consulting a veterinary doctor is necessary to prepare a diet chart to follow.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 12:06 am
@InfraBlue,
It's been several months now since I took your advice. He has a bowl of water and a bowl of dog food available to him 24/7. I thought he would eat it eventually. However, he never did. Instead, he's become a scavenger. He's a beagle, so he finds food everywhere! On walks, playing in the backyard, at the park, at the beach, and even in the house.

Some time ago, I noticed something. His dog food was left untouched for so long, it grew mold. I didn't even know dry food could do that! I've since replaced it. Still, he does not touch it.

On another note, he found a dead stingray on the beach last week. I was impressed since it was so far away and yet he still found it. He had to dig a deep hole to get to it.
Lauren65

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 11:03 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I agree with “@jespah” and I liked his all the suggestions. You can mix some of your food with your puppy food and it is really good idea and of course the most easy solution to your problem.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 07:24 am
@PinkLipstick,
He will eat puppy food if that is all you give him. When he gets hungry enough he wil eat it. My dog doesn't always eat his food right away. For some reason he will let it sit for a while and then go eat. Often times he waits until we sit down to eat before eating.

The more you give him human food, the harder it will be to change. Best to just put his food down and leave it. Also have you spoken to a vet/breeder to see the best food to give? Many commercial pet foods are not that great for them. It may be worth while to spend a bit more and get a higher quality food.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 07:29 am
@PinkLipstick,
Just saw this - why are you allowing your dog to eat whatever he finds? Your house should be clean enough that there is not enough substancial food left on the floor to satisfy the amount of food a dog needs. If you are walking him - do not allow him to eat anything found on the street. You need to control this as he could get very sick. A puppy is like a small child, they will eat and get into whatever you allow them. It is up to you to control him and watch out for him for his health and safety.

If you leave out his food and he doesn't eat it after a couple of hours take it away. Leave smaller amounts out so you are not wasting it. Replace water and food morning and evening.

Also have you spoken with the dog's vet? It would seem something very important and I am surprised the vet has not asked what you feed your dog. Even after going to the same the vet for a few years, I am asked this question each time.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 07:39 am
Beagles are VERY stubborn. Good luck on changing their behavior.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:14 am
@PUNKEY,
I have a breed that is known to be very stubborn and would run the household if allowed.

All a dog needs is patience and consistency. My dog did take a while to train - including house breaking - known for the breed due to its personality. Any dog can be trained if trained correctly.

I have my doubts on this one - due to thee family already catered to him; I can't see them (the family that is) changing.
0 Replies