Why do I feel so bad after gallbladder surgery?

Thu 23 May, 2013 08:51 am
Hello, I had a laprascopic gallbladder removal 3 days ago, on may 20th. I just want to know how long before I'm back to normal. My incisions and staples hurt, I'm very nauseous, and I'm in a lot of pain. I can't really walk around without hurting. I'm scheduled at my retail job for Sunday, should I call and cancel? I had to stay the night at the hospital because my gallbladder was very infected. Could that be why I'm having trouble now? I just want to feel better. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

ossobuco

Thu 23 May, 2013 08:57 am
@Elizabethg,
Why ask us instead of requesting to speak with your surgeon?
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 23 May, 2013 08:58 am
@Elizabethg,
Contact your doctor and tell him or her what you told us, and ask if there is a chance that you've got some sort of post-operative infection.
Letty

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:06 am
Elizabethg, I had the same surgery and the worst pain was post operative. Follow what everyone else told you here, but the only thing that helped me was Alka- Seltzer
0 Replies

Elizabethg

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:06 am
@jespah,
Forgot to mention I have spoken with my surgeon. They watched me closely the night I stayed, there's no infection as long as I don't have a fever. I'm just looking for ways to feel better.
Ragman

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:07 am
@Elizabethg,
I have a boil on my ass. How's that for sad?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:11 am
@Elizabethg,
Still, we can't tell you when you can go back to work or the best ways to recover. Call the surgeon's office.
0 Replies

Elizabethg

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:25 am
You all clearly aren't reading what I posted. I'm just looking for other people who have gone through this, not people nagging me to call my surgeon. I already have called him, he said not to be alarmed. Jeez, you people should learn how to read and not be so rude.
Letty

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:27 am
@Elizabethg,
Did you read my post? I was quite serious about Alka-Seltzer
jespah

Thu 23 May, 2013 01:10 pm
@Letty,
I think Letty is onto something here.

I had abdominal surgery in '10 and felt awful afterwards. It wasn't an infection; it was gastrointestinal. You just don't have the ability to bend, stretch, change positions, etc. as you normally do, and that can lead to pretty painful gas.

At any rate, Alka-Seltzer (I use Maalox) isn't too big a deal - I'd tell your doctor before trying it, of course, but that might be the question to ask, e. g. Is some of this pain GI-related, and what should I be taking?
0 Replies

margo

Thu 23 May, 2013 01:56 pm
Back to work so soon?

I had about 3 weeks off work after my surgery earlier this year! And I was in hospital for a week! They must make 'em tough over there - or I'm excessively wussy.

You doctor is right - this sort of discomfort is quite normal - your body has been attacked and it takes a while to recover, As stated above, gas may be (is) a problem - and you can use simple measures to help relieve it. They inflate your abdomen when they do laparoscopic surgery - and that gas has to go somewhere. And until it does, well - it just growls around and makes you uncomfortable.

And you do need to take it a bit easy for a while. My timing, above, may have been a bit generous - but then I'm an old coot now and had to deal with the death of my only relative at the same time. Not a fun period at all.

Just look after yourself; rest a bit; keep an eye out for infection. It really just takes time.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 23 May, 2013 02:32 pm
Three DAYS ago? Honey, you had MAJOR surgery. Rest and relax.

And, NO, you should not go back to work on Sat.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:06 pm
@Elizabethg,
The gall bladder meters out bile into the digestive tract, and when it is removed the bile travels from the liver to the digestive tract in a somewhat erratic fashion. Your body gradually adapts, but until it does (as I'm sure you know) you need to start with clear fluids, jello, then things like pudding, yogurt, tapioca and work your way up to including more complex food items.

Your surgery usually requires a few stitches, I don't understand why you have staples but perhaps your surgery was a tad more complex. If it hurts to walk and you feel nauseous you need a little bit more time off to rest.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 29 May, 2013 10:26 pm
Are you feeling any better?
0 Replies

liz1801

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 05:53 pm
i had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago but still feel like im going to throw up all the time which is starting to really worry as i still get pains in my stomach to i have no follow up appointment with surgeon he says he got all the stones out so i really dont understand why i feel like this then anyone help please
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 06:02 pm
THE INTERNET IS OUR BEST FRIEND for finding out about all kinds of infirnities.
Google around and you'll end up knowing more about a condition than the quacks, and can monitor that they're giving you the right treatment..Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 06:39 pm
@liz1801,
People who have had their gallbladder removed (I'm one of them) often have to change their diet a bit. You may also have to do so.

There are certain foods that no longer digest well and they aren't the same for everyone. For me, foods with a high fat content such as Ben and Jerry's ice cream, fresh grapes, and rice are my no no foods unless I want to deal with the stomach pains.

Here are some sources for you, the second one also addresses when to call a doctor when pain gets worse:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gallbladder-removal-diet/MY01815

http://m.everydayhealth.com/gallbladder/foods-to-avoid-after-gallbladder-surgery
0 Replies

kkayeusher

Mon 3 Feb, 2014 04:01 am
elizabeth, I went in by ambulance last Sunday. by Monday night they found out it was my gall bladder. Tuesday they removed it. it was inflamed and full of stones. Tuesday night, I came home. Wednesday I walked on my treadmill a half football lap, 6 min. Wednesday afternoon, I walked another half lap. not one time has my 4 cuts hurt. all of my pain was in my back. from the gas they blow u up with during surgery.. Thurs. night I got sick and started vomiting and done that all night and the next day didn't even get out of bed, nor eat. we contacted the Dr. and found out it was the antibiotic I was on. amox.I quite taking it, Saturday, I was good and eating a little, today, Sunday, I am fine. been up walking thru the day, eating more and I feel fine. still hurt in my back, but still don't hurt on any of the cuts. today is Monday, I am gonna walk on my treadmill again later. I am not suppose to really be bending or lifting. I don't but I have bent over several times. it don't hurt. my back gets to hurting so bad, I have to lean forward. I can't stand anything touching it. I think its mostly muscles. my husband has rubbed it a couple of nights and it did ease it a lot. I hope whatever u r dealing with goes away soon. but everyone I have known has gotten over theirs within a week. my grand daughter is in the 11th grade had hers out recently and she was back at school a week later.
ossobuco

Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:49 am
@kkayeusher,
If the hospital staff said don't bend over, don't. Even if it doesn't hurt, it may turn out to be a poor idea not to have listened to their instructions.
0 Replies