Fake YouTube Page Targets Chrome Users and installs malware...

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 12:11 pm
Fake YouTube Page Targets Chrome Users
Quote:
If a user clicks on the fake video player or any of the ads on the fake YouTube page, the site prompts the user to install a browser extension [AKA malware onto your computer]....

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/web-browsers/311630-fake-youtube-page-targets-chrome-users

roger

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 01:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shirley you don't expect us to try that link and see what happens.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 01:57 pm
@roger,
That's right ... you should know better than that, tsarstepan. If that is your real name.

And don't call me Shirley.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 06:06 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Shirley you don't expect us to try that link and see what happens.

The link that I provided that basically a link to the PC Mag news article? Hmmm? Apparently I'm so devious I deceived even myself. Rolling Eyes
roger

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 06:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Why sure it is.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 06:29 pm
It not just chrome that can have that form of attacked done on it however it I was that stupid to installed such a unknown extension it would be done in a sandbox and when I ended my browsing session the malware would be wipe not just deleted off my system along with the browser copy in the sandbox and anything else such as cookies even so call super cookies.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 07:08 pm
@BillRM,
I won't do it tonight but can you tell me how easy it is to setup Sandbox. I know you have promoted the program on many occasions and I have heard others give the program thumbs up. I looked into it before but I did and can't presently remember why I hesitated using the software.
BillRM

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 10:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
The program can be found with a google search for sandboxie and it is free unless you what extra features that I never found I needed.

I am running xp but I think it will work for window 7 32 bits but that information can be found on the website.

It is not hard to set up at all but if you run into any problem send me a private message.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 05:00 am
@tsarstepan,
I went to the article. That seems like pretty basic, "Duh" style of advice. I never authorize any installations that pop-up while i am visiting a page. When i get a prompt on boot-up to install the latest version of Java or Flash Player, i close the dialogue box and go to the appropriate site to see if there is an update available. This happened the other day, and when i got to Adobe's page, i was informed that Chrome automatically installs Flash Player updates, so that was a pretty obvious attempt to get me to click on something that i shouldn't click on. Good advice in that article . . . for clueless dummies.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

When i get a prompt on boot-up to install the latest version of Java or Flash Player, i close the dialogue box and go to the appropriate site to see if there is an update available.

That's clever. I do a similar thing when it comes to messages from banks and credit cards where I have an account. I never follow the email's provided links just in case the email is a phishing attempt. If the bank really has an important notice I need to read on their site, they'll show it to me when I independently sign in on their website.

And yep Set. Smile You're right, the advice is your typical "everyone should ALREADY know this junk" style advice. Just figured it should be repeated ad nauseum so whomever doesn't know it already (silly as that may seem) that they can't admit ignorance if they find themselves and their computer compromised. I also posted this because I love Chrome and am kind of disappointed that Chrome has this lame/unnecessary backdoor vulnerability that they need to address ASAP.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Good advice in that article . . . for clueless dummies.

which is most users of the internet so I think I'll go with

Good advice in that article.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
love Chrome and am kind of disappointed that Chrome has this lame/unnecessary backdoor vulnerability that they need to address ASAP.

If you tell Chrome to added a plugs-in of one type or another and the plug-in happen to contain malware it is not the fault of the browser but your.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 08:45 am
@tsarstepan,
I like Chrome, too. Many years ago, a friend of mine used a Mac, and used to get haughty about how virus/worm/trojan-proof it was. Until he opened an e-mail and his machine was infected. So, fortunately through his hubris, i learned a long time ago that all systems are vulnerable. If you think about it, it's evolutionary. Create a "hacker-proof" system, and every hacker in creation will spend every waking moment to figure out how to compromise the system.
0 Replies