welcome, have a good look

WBYeats

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 08:31 pm
Now, I am working in a book shop, and when Chinese customers come in, we will say, in Chinese, 'Welcome, have a casual look/select products as you like'; but these are my translations only, and it sounds awkward in English; could you tell me what a shop assistant in English countries will say in such situations?

JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 10:03 pm
@WBYeats,
Good [appropriate time of day word] // Can [Could] I be of any assistance? //
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 10:45 pm
@WBYeats,
I have a shop and I usually greet customers with something like 'Hello ...are you happy just browsing?....Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.'
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 12:18 am
@WBYeats,
If I were you I'd say :

When my arms wrap you round I press
My heart upon the loveliness
That has long faded from the world;
The jewelled crowns that kings have hurled

http://www.poetry-archive.com/y/yeats_w_b.html

Then I would be sacked.
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 01:01 am
@laughoutlood,
I'd employ you. There's not enough pressing of hearts against loveliness in retail. And most of my customers are creative, broadminded ladies - and gentlemen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 04:03 am
@laughoutlood,
It does disturb me that this member uses William Butler Yeats' name as a screen name. Yeats was able to write elegant and beautiful English--this guy, not so much.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 09:51 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It does disturb me that this member uses William Butler Yeats' name as a screen name. Yeats was able to write elegant and beautiful English--this guy, not so much.

Huh oh, it's starting. Setanta realizes that WBYeats is far and above him with respect to English grammar.
WBYeats

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Thanks. Since you've been so direct in making you comments and you know my command of English is so poor, could you give me more replies to my questions in the future so that I can improve my English?
contrex

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 11:40 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Huh oh, it's starting.

Uh - oh! Pot says that kettle looks a bit sooty and could do with a wash... Movie at 11.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 11:40 pm
@WBYeats,
The finest minds bespoke akin to what you've said WBYeats.

I'd smile "Hello, feel free to browse and let me know if i can help you with anything". If I was especially flirtatious I'd wink , pause and say something innocently fervid like, " anything at all", and remember to sigh.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 02:53 am
@WBYeats,
In the UK most people would prefer to be left to their own devices. If shop assistants are too pushy they can put you off. A smile is as much interaction as we want when we go into a shop, if we want any help we'll ask for it.
Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 03:25 am
@izzythepush,
My shop is literally part of my house, I'm not in a big shopping centre or anything so it's natural to greet customers when they come in. They're often looking for something in particular but if not then I leave them to browse. I make sure I'm around but doing something so they can ask me if they need help but I'm not just sitting there watching them or looking over their shoulder.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 03:38 am
@WBYeats,
I hope that you will improve. My way of responding to such questions, though, is that ig the OP has been well answered, it isn't necessary for me to comment.
JTT

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:30 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
it isn't necessary for me to comment.

But you did comment, Set, in your oft ignorant fashion.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 01:58 am
@Setanta,
Mr Setanta, could you show me how elegant and beautiful Irish poet Mr Yeats' English is? I've seen some of his poems, including Byzantine and I also have his Selected Plays, but I'm still in the dark as to why he enjoyed so much admiration. Could you explain more about him?
0 Replies