For a scientist? Why not "in a scientist"?

contrex

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 04:40 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Some of our contributors sometimes lose sight of the fact that they are writing for a person who is not a native speaker, and who is trying to extend his knowledge of the language.

I.e. Setanta is a prick.
contrex

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 04:41 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Barry Crier said that explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog... no-one laughs, and the frog dies. Smile

Is he any relation to Barry Cryer?

http://www.allelectricproductions.co.uk/comedy/comedy_images/barry_cryer.jpg
McTag

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 11:57 pm
@contrex,

Quote:
I.e. Setanta is a prick.

When I wrote that, I was not thinking about the gentlemen you name.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 11:59 pm
@contrex,

Quote:

Funnily enough, as I was waking up this morning (odd what you think about, isn't it) I realised I had spelled that name wrongly, and resolved to issue a correction. Well spotted.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 01:44 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Funnily enough, as I was waking up this morning (odd what you think about, isn't it) I realised I had spelled that name wrongly, and resolved to issue a correction. Well spotted.

I've always thought he is a very funny bloke, I'm a bit of a fan, which is why I noticed it, I suppose. Denis Norden once said he was ‘living proof you do not have to be neurotic to be a comedian’.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 02:22 am
Contrex, himself a prick, rarely misses an opportunity to accuse others of his own faults.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 02:35 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Contrex, himself a prick, rarely misses an opportunity to accuse others of his own faults.

Ouch! That hurt!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:21 am
I come to believe that the word "belief" is the antecedent of the clause (that cuts particularly sharply for a scientist), not "an objection." Such belief traditinally hurts scientists.

Quote:

Finally, consider an objection to belief that cuts particularly sharply for a scientist. How can miracles be reconciled to a scientific worldview?
McTag

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:25 am
@oristarA,

You have to think of "an objection to belief" as a whole phrase. The important word is objection.
McTag

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:28 am
@McTag,

I repeat, I am only considering the meaning of the sentence here. It is clear that christian orthodoxy ("belief") is the source of the scientist's dilemma.
oristarA

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:43 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I repeat, I am only considering the meaning of the sentence here. It is clear that christian orthodoxy ("belief") is the source of the scientist's dilemma.

Excellent!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 05:09 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
That is, the objection "cuts... sharply in a scientist."

I understand the context you're giving for this sentence. But what is your question about it?
oristarA

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 07:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

oristarA wrote:
That is, the objection "cuts... sharply in a scientist."

I understand the context you're giving for this sentence. But what is your question about it?

At first sight, it appears to say that "an objection against belief would hurt deeply a scientist". But when you pay attention to its title "How Can a Rational Person Believe in Miracles?" you would know that the belief is "believing in miracles." Scientists usually disbelieve any miracles (which are often deciphered by scientists with scientific laws), so an objection to such a belief would help a scientist, not cut/hurt.
Quote:

How Can a Rational Person Believe in Miracles?

Finally, consider an objection to belief that cuts particularly sharply for a scientist. How can miracles be reconciled to a scientific worldview?
Thomas
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 10:26 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
At first sight, it appears to say that "an objection against belief would hurt deeply a scientist".

Not to native English speakers. To them, the phrase implies that objections are tools scientists use, and that this particular objection is a particularly sharp tool. That's why the preposition is "for", not "in": the objection does something for scientists, not in them. And that's also why its sharp cutting is good: It reflects the utility of the tool for scientists. It does not reflect injury to their bodies, which would indeed be bad.
oristarA

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 11:05 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

oristarA wrote:
At first sight, it appears to say that "an objection against belief would hurt deeply a scientist".

Not to native English speakers. To them, the phrase implies that objections are tools scientists use, and that this particular objection is a particularly sharp tool. That's why the preposition is "for", not "in": the objection does something for scientists, not in them. And that's also why its sharp cutting is good: It reflects the utility of the tool for scientists. It does not reflect injury to their bodies, which would indeed be bad.

That's it. Thank you.

Engineer has complicated the simple case:
engineer wrote:

"Cuts" here means "hurts" although the injury is more emotional than physical.

"Her rejection of my affection cut me deeply."
McTag

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 03:25 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

No he didn't. It's a metaphorical usage (and a fairly loose one, too) and metaphors can be stretched to amazing limits.
"Cuts" could have a myriad of meanings. And almost as with poetry, the reader supplies his own meaning. Often scientific writers with literary pretensions only serve to mess things up, or to confuse.
oristarA

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:01 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

No he didn't. It's a metaphorical usage (and a fairly loose one, too) and metaphors can be stretched to amazing limits.
"Cuts" could have a myriad of meanings. And almost as with poetry, the reader supplies his own meaning. Often scientific writers with literary pretensions only serve to mess things up, or to confuse.

Excellent.
0 Replies