Why are our ten commandments different than what the bible calls the ten commandments?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 10:10 am
@joefromchicago,
What about Steven Spielberg, joe? Raiders of the Lost Ark was a documentary ... was not made in Hollywood!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 10:33 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
The bible doesn't refer to anything as the "ten commandments."

Exodus 34:28 (King James Version)

28 And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 09:41 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well, I'll be damned. You found an inconsistency in the bible. You win a cookie.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 12:46 am
@joefromchicago,
I am not sure I would call it an inconsistency because the words "the ten commandments" are only written in three places in the bible and they seem consistent to me.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 12:53 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
I can understand your confusion if you insist that the commandments inscribed on the stone tablets must have been the ten commandments. But the bible never says that

Deuteronomy4:13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2013 01:00 am
@reasoning logic,
Well I'll be damned...you found an inconsistency in Joe's own personal subjective interpretation of the Bible...you win a cookie...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 09:53 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
The bible doesn't refer to anything as the "ten commandments."

That's because it was originally supposed to be fifteen. Embarrassing story. See for yourself.

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 03:00 pm
@Thomas,
I wondered where all those other commandments came from. Laughing
0 Replies