A memory to Chenobyl

g day

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:43 am
I found this incredible link today - of a student who revisted Chenobyl 17 years later - going for bike rides though a city become a ghost town over night.

Its almost eerie, its such a powerful view of what life after a nuclear holocaust is like:

http://xpda.com/junkmail/junk153/chernobyl/

Personally it brought back memories of a brilliant guy name Maurice I hired - he lost a leg to Cancer at Chenobyl - then gone on to lead an amazing life - I stand in awe of his achievements.

The website is mainly pictures with a few matter of fact rememberances that contrast the life of a child who has come back 17 years later to the community she group up in - a major city. And her and the town guard now are the only ones that walk the silent streets.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 972 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:50 am
It is worth it! Thanks for sharing this, G-day, I'm going to recommend it to some friends. So many years later and still no chance of living there. <shaking head>

Here's a UK website about Chernobyl which gives some additional information but isn't nearly as powerful a requiem as that motorcycle ride through the area. It's hard to imagine living so close to that dead zone... having it be near enough to take a ride through yet so deserted & dangerous.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:33 am
Eerie, but fascinating. Thanks.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 02:55 am
It is a gruel documentation. Remember it.
0 Replies