All Proceeds Go to….

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:31 am
What are your thoughts on these? I am starting to see things like the Boston Strong shirts, mugs whatever the heck and now Yankee Candle with a commemorative Boston marathon candle where net proceeds go to the One Fund.

Personally I have mixed feelings about these. At first I thought I would get a Boston Strong shirt – I thought it a way to show my support. But now this logo is everywhere – overused almost as if even in this short time, makes the logo seem meaningless. My company is selling and giving all money to One Fund. A good thing – but when I walked by and saw them, they have the company logo and name on them. This turned me off – making it seem they are “selling”, but also marketing themselves.

I get this feeling for the Yankee Candle too and I love Yankee Candle. How do you feel about these sorts of charitable “donations”?

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:42 am
@Linkat,
Depends on the % that goes to the fund, I think (which means research).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:47 am
@Linkat,
If it's the case where 'ALL proceeds go to', as in your title, I have no problem. However, just like with contributions to any other charity, I'd want to know what percentage actually goes to the victim's and/or their families.

In the case of this charity, unlike many charities, (let's say cancer research), there's no research dollars and very little much administration costs to be absorbed so there should be around 90%-100% going to the victims and their families or I don't support them.

Frankly, for myself, I'd like to find a fund that directly sends money to help pay for the hospital bills. Hmmm...maybe that's what I should look for?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:36 am
Usually, "proceeds" means after costs. So that may include stock costs and paying someone a very high wage to sit there and sell these items.

Better to donate directly to an established non-profit.

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 08:05 am
@PUNKEY,
yeah that is my understanding as far as like Yankee Candle - they give net proceeds to the One Fund so they deduct the amount of what it costs to make the candle, then do they get a little bit as well - to pay their other overhead (stores, employees, etc) so how much ends up going to the charity a buck - are they using this to market themselves as well?

I don't know it just doesn't sit well with me - it feels like you are using the situation to market yourself - why wouldn't you just give money directly to the charity if you want to help?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 08:38 am
@Linkat,
I decided just for myself then - to give directly to one fund - my company had an offer that they would match all donations so I felt seeing this is supposed to go directly to the victims and doubling my money it would be the best place.

I hope my small amount helps at least a little.
billie-jean

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:13 am
@Linkat,
Doing marketing even with fundraising items is really awful but everyone is used to it.. so most of them wont think this as a wrong one... So it will be good if we just look into the % they spend for the victims by using these items....
0 Replies