Google = Untrusted connection?

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 06:26 pm
When I open a new tab and try to Google something I get a message that it is an untrusted connection.

This also happened for a couple of hours last night.

It seems to stop as quickly as it started.

I'm using Firefox if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks

roger

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 06:29 pm
@boomerang,
Never seen this, but I've had similar messages regarding other sites, and some are sites I trust anyway. It may indicate some sort of lack of a particular certification, but I can't imagine google being untrusted.
boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:03 pm
@roger,
It's happening to me if I just type in "google.com".

Or if I use the google search bar/screen/blank/whatever you call it.

It's damn strange.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:08 pm
Here's what the screen says:
Quote:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to www.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

engineer

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
Why is it trying to connect securely instead of just a standard connection? I didn't think a standard search required a secure connection.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:13 pm
@boomerang,
Gosh, I don't know anything about secure connections. I did type in google.com and got google without an error message. I use Internet Explorer, by the way.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:15 pm
@engineer,
I don't know! I don't know what changed. I didn't change anything and I'm really the only one who uses this computer.

What didn't copy off in my previous post are the three choices I'm given:

Quote:
Get me out of here!

Technical Details

I understand the risk

When I click on "Technical Details" it says:

Technical Details

Quote:
www.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:28 pm
I've had this message before on both my laptop and my mac. It's usually caused by an update issue. Make sure everything is up to date. In fact, because my mac is old, I actually had to disable and get rid of some google programs, including chrome.
boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:35 pm
@Ceili,
Okay! I'm glad to know I'm not crazy!

I'm using a PC. My computer did an update yesterday but the problem has only been intermittent. I'm not using chrome.

What other google programs did you have to get rid of?

I wonder if it would be okay to just click "I understand the risks".....
Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:35 pm
@boomerang,
My problems on the mac were directly related to macs tit for tat **** with google and adobe. I can't remember all the stuff I deleted, it's because I'm still using Mountain Lion and I should be using Cougar or something. Because Apple really sucks when it comes to proprietary stuff, I have to get the missing Snow leopard operating system that is no longer for sale, unless I buy it online. Then I have to save everything on a backup drive, then install the missing platform, then the last one just in time for the new one. If you don't understand this, neither do I. They don't explain this shite when you buy their machines. None the less, google and apple have a wee fight going on, and sometimes it sucks.
Regardless
On the laptop - PC related, the problem was because Firefox update and chrome was old, or something like that. Don't worry about hitting the understand the risks thing, it will take you to google. At the moment, your computer is not recognizing google for whatever reason.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:37 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I can't remember all the stuff I deleted, it's because I'm still using Mountain Lion and I should be using Cougar or something.

Thanks. I needed a smile.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:41 am
@Ceili,
Thanks, Ceili! I'm going to understand the risk and get back my google!

I had no idea that there were comparability issues between Apple and Google. Your experience was much more frustrating than mine.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:29 am
@Ceili,
I don't know re Boomer's problem, very frustrating, Boomer.

Ceili, I have snow leopard and I had to get rid of adobe flash because of all the crashing and not being able to get the latest version anyway.. My mac can't be upgraded past snow leopard because .. it.. is.. too old.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:56 am
@Ceili,
Done! I had to give google some kind of exemption tag. Everything seems to be working perfectly.

Thanks again, Ceili!
DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:10 am
@boomerang,
The problem is that someone could be performing what's called a "man-in-the-middle attack."

In order to be able to read your secure traffic, they've substituted their own digital certificate.

I suspect that your system is infected with a virus. I recommend that you shut that machine down and take it to someone who can perform a security scan.

Meanwhile, log in from a different computer and change your passwords (especially to GMail!).

Typically, the goal is to get access to your E-mail account, and then try to send password reset messages from banks, online retailers that might have your credit card information, etc. in order to get access to those accounts.
boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:33 am
@DrewDad,
Urk!

I don't use Gmail. Neither does Mr. B. Does that make a difference? We have an anti-virus program that hasn't spotted any problems.

I'll change passwords just to be safe.

Thanks!

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:39 am
@boomerang,
I assumed Gmail because of the secure connection. If you haven't entered any passwords, then you should be OK.

Try the same site from a different computer on the same network and see if you get the same error. The "man in the middle" can be anywhere between you and the web server; it could be another user on your network segment that's intercepting your traffic.

Are you using WiFi? Could you be connected to a different access point than you normally use?

boomerang

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:47 am
@DrewDad,
Amazon is the only place that stores my password or account info. I haven't used it lately.

Mo's iPad is wifi but nothing else is.

I just started a new scan.

I just tried to visit Amazon and got the same "untrusted connection" message. I closed down Firefox and reopened and things all seem to be working now -- I was able to sign into Amazon, anyway.

The whole thing is really bizarre.

The only thing I can think of other than "Microsoft has updated your computer" is being asked to download an Adobe update....
DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:17 am
@boomerang,
In firefox, secure connections should display a padlock icon next to the URL. If you click that padlock, it should give details about the secure connection. Make sure that the certificate issuer matches the website.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 09:55 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I just tried to visit Amazon and got the same "untrusted connection" message. I closed down Firefox and reopened and things all seem to be working now -- I was able to sign into Amazon, anyway.

If you added an exemption for the site, there may still be a certificate error but Firefox isn't displaying it.

Try it with a different browser, such as Internet Explorer, and see if it gives an error.

http://www.exchangemaster.net/UserFiles/Image/faq000054/error.jpg