Having a Relationship with a Patient

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 06:00 am
What is your stand about this issue? Is this acceptable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 17
No top replies

shelljon

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 09:36 am
@amygarside,
why not?
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:00 am
@shelljon,
shelljon wrote:

why not?

Since you've asked "Why not?"...I know that you're not a health care professional.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 01:57 pm
@Miller,
That's kind of a non-answer right there.
BillRM

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 02:27 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
I know that you're not a health care professional.

The rights of adults to form relationships should not lightly be interfere with so somehow a nurse or a nurse aid who take your blood pressure before you see a doctor should not be ban from dating a patient for example.

We then go to a GP who provide routine medical care to his or her patients. I frankly do not see why such a person should be ban from dating an adult patient.

Only when you go into medical relationships that have counselling elements involved or dealing with someone not a fully function adults should there be limits to private relationships at least in my opinion.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 06:14 pm
Only after he's all healed up Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 06:18 pm
@amygarside,
While the person is a patient?

I wouldn't recommend it as a general principle.

There could be exceptions, but I'd think it would be best until there wasn't a clinical relationship.

I know in some facilities it is considered a firing offence.
nalexnapier

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 09:43 pm
@amygarside,
It's not right... I am not a nurse but I work at a hospital. Number 1. You are bound to give him special treatment or one time ir another which would not be right. Number 2. You are bound to talk about him to your friends, and if he is a patient that is a HIPAA violation. Number 3. That is just a cinflict of interest. I'm sure somewhere in your employee handbook it talks about conflicts of interest
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:24 am
@nalexnapier,
Quote:
You are bound to give him special treatment or one time ir another which would not be right. Number 2

There are one hell of a lot of relationships well short of a romance one that would/could result in so call special treatments.

Quote:
You are bound to talk about him to your friends, and if he is a patient that is a HIPAA violation.

You are bound to talk about his or her medical conditions?????!!!!!?????

Quote:
That is just a cinflict of interest.

Oh? So if you just like someone that would not be a conflict of interest also by your logic?

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Too bad!!
Miller

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:29 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I know in some facilities it is considered a firing offence.

In virtually all ( if not all ) Harvard-affiliated hospitals, you'd be fired on the spot. Needless to say, many a patient would sue the person involved, whether or not it had an affect on the care being given by the "professsional".

If you've worked in a hospital, you know how hungry many patients are for a nice juicy lawsuit.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:13 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
many a patient would sue the person involved, whether or not it had an affect on the care being given by the "professsional".

I would love to be on a jury that hear a case of a adult patient suing a nurse and the hospital for having a sexual relationship with him or her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:10 pm
My general view is that a sexual relationship is unethical, at least in possibility for unfair behaviors re the patient or re other patients and is at least not well regarded in medical practice, even if it isn't a firing offense in some facilities (I have no idea of the percentages on that), or doesn't develop into lawsuit cause. It's a power inequality that is inappropriate.

I have a little room for understanding, if in some situation, romance happens and the physician removes him or herself from the case.

BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I have a little room for understanding, if in some situation, romance happens and the physician removes him or herself from the case.

One need to feel sorry for young unmarried doctors serving the medical needs of isolated communities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact there had been some discussion in the medical journals of such situations.

In any case, adults both the patients and the medical personals have a right to form relationships and just because you are a patient or a medical provider does not and should not take away that right.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:45 pm
@BillRM,
I understand that that is your opinion.
You, though, don't seem to understand ethics of medical care.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:53 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

roger wrote:

Too bad!!

Not only a non-answer, but a crony non-answer. Troll.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:04 pm
@roger,
Somehow, I get the idea that KAK, New Haven, Miller, et al forgot which account he/she/it was posting under.
MarisolMSurface

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 10:03 am
@roger,
Depends on whether it is a former patient or not. I would not encourage a relationship with an actual patient, but I would not mind dating a patient who I have seen before. I do not think that it would be right to date someone that you are just treating then though.
0 Replies