U.S. Constitution

gollum

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 06:51 pm
The Constitution says that all bills must be offered by a member of the House of Representative or the Senate to his/her chamber.

The press often says that the president send such-and-such a bill to Congress.

Please explain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:47 am
@gollum,
You should ask the press why they say silly things, not people here.
0 Replies

John-barry

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:00 am
@gollum,
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee claimed on Wednesday that the Constitution of the United States of America was over 400 years old. Formally The Constitution of the United State of America came into being on Sept. 17, 1787.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:11 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

The Constitution says that all bills must be offered by a member of the House of Representative or the Senate to his/her chamber.

The press often says that the president send such-and-such a bill to Congress.

Please explain.

Yes, I'd like to know as well.

Why only Bills? I bet there are a few Georges, Richards, Johns and the suchlike to also pick on.

Leave Bills alone I say.

Apart from Bill Stickers of course. He should always be prosecuted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 03:13 am
John-barry appears to be another one of those witless content bots. The U.S. constitution was not ratified until March, 1789, and therefore was not in effect until then.

I did not give a serious answer initially because it just seemed too silly a question. Presidents are expected to have a legislative agenda. To accomplish their legislative agenda, they rely upon members of their political party to introduce bills in Congress. They will then work to implement their legislative agenda by using personal influence to sway powerful politicians of their own or the other party. Presidents are not members of the legislative branch, and can only suggest and attempt to influence those who are members of the legislative branch. A president's constituency expects this of them. Therefore, it is often inaccurately said that the president has sent a bill to Congress.
0 Replies